FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus-694/)
-   -   FAQ No. 3 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: How many Miles&Bonus miles will I earn? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/aegean-airlines-miles-bonus/1372181-faq-no-3-aegean-miles-bonus-how-many-miles-bonus-miles-will-i-earn.html)

intuition Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

FAQ No. 3 for Aegean Miles & Bonus: How many Miles&Bonus miles will I earn?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/membe...aegean-faq.jpg

How to calculate miles earned to M&B

Short version
1. Find the distance flown
2. Find the fare class
3. For each segment, locate the fare class in your airline's table on A3's site

Long version
This topic may be very well known to many, but this forum has had quite a few questions/misunderstandings/rants of how many miles a certain flight earns on A3, so I decided to write it down in detail. Even if it is in boring detail, if you are the least unsure on how to calculate miles, read this and hopefully you will avoid future disappointments.

When you fly a Aegean or a Star alliance partner flight, you will earn both tier-miles and award-miles on the A3 program. Here is a method of calculating the exact number of miles you will earn.

1. Find the distance flown *)

This number should be
a) obtained from the operating carrier,
b) quoted segment by segment,
c) quoted in miles and
d) without any kind of bonuses added.

Why?
a) Different carriers have different sources of information and thus may have different views of how long the distance is. Some uses the IATA table, some uses great circle distance, some uses a proprietary table. It is operating carriers view of the distance that determines how many miles you will earn.
If you are not bothered with the exact miles you can use the great circle distance. Just be prepared that earned miles may be higher or lower than this value.

b) Some carrier have their earnings table split into regions, like domestic, shorthaul and longhaul, and the earnings rules may differ for each region. So if you do a 2 segment trip, each segment may have completely different earnings rules.
(One segment is usually defined as a trip with one flight number. It is considered one segment even if you land one or more times, and fly on one or more planes as long as it has one flight number. In this special case you need to get the direct distance from origin to destination as if you didn't fly via anything. You will not earn miles for your factual route, but for the direct path between segment origin and destination
If you land and get on another plane with a new flight number, you have started a new segment.)

c) Because M&B is mile based. If you get qouted in km, you can multiply by 0,6214 to get an estimate (yes, that is a decimal comma. If you don't know what that is, you can safely multiply by 0.6214 instead :-)

d) Because you need the actual milage for each leg to do the calculation. If you use a milage calculator from any FF program, it will usually add bonuses for class of service and tier status and so on. That will completely screw your calculation up, as these bonuses only apply if you credit to that program. Especially meilenrechner.de or meilenrechner.ch have tricked many. If you use it, make sure you get the miles from a 100% earning class for a member without any tier bonus.

2. Find the operating carriers fare class

If your ticket is marketed and operated by the same airline, this is normally easily found, quoted on your ticket and/or in the booking process.

However, if your flight is a codeshare flight, this task may be tricky. The fare class you are quoted when you buy a codeshare ticket is the marketing carrier's fare class. It may or may not be the fare class that your ticket is issued under on the operating carrier. Sometimes the marketing airline maps the real fare class to one of their own, and sometimes they use the operating carriers fare class as is. There is no standard way of finding out which, but sometimes one can obtain the booking reference on the operating carrier and from that work out the fare class.

Here is a repository of user reported fare class mappings, which may or may not help you finding fare class on codeshares:
http://www.wandr.me/Tools/StarAllian...e_Mapping.aspx

3. For each segment, find the earnings from A3's site
https://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbon.../all-airlines/

Go to A3 and find the chart for your operating carrier. For *A partners, you need to click on the airlines logo, otherwise the table is not shown. Make sure you find the current table, as sometimes an older version co-exists. If the chart is devided into regions, look under the correct region sub chart for each leg. Find the fare class you obtained in #2.

If there is an accrual factor, multiply the segment miles by the factor. If the result is lower than the minimum (should there be such a column) you will get the value under minimum instead. Do not apply accrual factor to minimum values, as this is already done in the table.

If there instead is a "Flat miles" value, you get the flat miles value for the segment, regardless of distance flown. Do not apply accrual factor to flat miles.

Warning: If you cannot find the booking class under the operating carrier chart, the earning is 0 miles. Especially many 'P' fare classes does not earn, even though the service class is business.

Do not multiply your miles with any other factors. A3 M&B-program does not have any bonus factors that is not shown in the table. Operating carriers bonus factors only applies to their own programs and not to A3.

--
For some *A carriers, there are many different subsidiaries operating flights for the main airline. Some of these operators earns according to main airline chart some does not. Here is an incomplete list of subsidiaries that earns on M&B:

*)
Based on recent FT reports it seems like Lufthansa's connecting train rides may as well earn points. They seem to earn according to normal flight table

intuition Jul 30, 2012 4:25 pm

Some useful tools for calculating distance

Tools that uses approximations and/or collected data

http://www.owenrudge.net/utils/starcalc/?p=A3
Developed by orudge, present on this board. Uses calculated distances and will evaluate flights on all *-partners into M&B miles.

http://www.webflyer.com/travel/mileage_calculator/

http://gc.kls2.com/ alt. http://www.gcmap.com/
Arithmetically calculates the shortest distance between airports, based on a proprietary database of airport coordinates. Results are usually within +/- 100 miles of the operating carriers table.

http://www.milecalc.com/
Uses calculated distances. Will also try to calculate earnings in american FF programs, which can be useful for finding which program earns best.

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/fligh...calculator.htm
Uses both calculated and table data from airlines

Straight from the horse's mouth - a few airline's distance tables

TK
https://www4.thy.com/tkmiles/earn.tk?lang=en
Use class "Economy" to get flown miles. Sometimes you need to be logged on to get results, other times it works just fine.

LH
Use "Economy class - Semi flexible" to get base miles. Do not use for shorthaul flights, as it will display minimums and not actual. Requires flash
http://www.meilenrechner.de/earn_miles.php?language=eng

LX
Use "Economy class - Semi flexible" to get base miles. Do not use for shorthaul flights, as it will display minimums and not actual. Requires flash
http://www.meilenrechner.ch/earn_miles.php?language=eng

MSPeconomist Jul 30, 2012 8:41 pm

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 19029769)
Foreword
This topic may be very well known to many, but this forum has had quite a few questions/misunderstandings/rants of how many miles a certain flight earns on A3, so I decided to write it down in detail. Even if it is in boring detail, if you are the least unsure on how to calculate miles, read this and hopefully you will avoid future disappointments.

When you fly a Aegean or a Star alliance partner flight, you will earn both tier-miles and award-miles on the A3 program. Here is a method of calculating the exact number of miles you will earn.

1. Find the distance flown

This number should be
a) obtained from the operating carrier,
b) quoted segment by segment,
c) quoted in miles and
d) without any kind of bonuses added.

Why?
a) Different carriers have different sources of information and thus may have different views of how long the distance is. Some uses the IATA table, some uses great circle distance, some uses a proprietary table. It is operating carriers view of the distance that determines how many miles you will earn.
If you are not bothered with the exact miles you can use the great circle distance. Just be prepared that earned miles may be higher or lower than this value.

b) Some carrier have their earnings table split into regions, like domestic, shorthaul and longhaul, and the earnings rules may differ for each region. So if you do a 2 segment trip, each segment may have completely different earnings rules.
(One segment is usually defined as a trip with one flight number. If you land and get on another plane, you have started a new segment. If you land but don't change planes you are on a one segment only. In this special case you need to get the direct distance from startpoint to endpoint as if you didn't fly via anything.)

c) Because M&B is mile based. If you get qouted in km, you can multiply by 0,6214 to get an estimate (yes, that is a decimal comma. If you don't know what that is, you can safely multiply by 0.6214 instead :-)

d) Because you need the actual milage for each leg to do the calculation. If you use a milage calculator from any FF program, it will usually add bonuses for class of service and tier status and so on. That will completely screw your calculation up, as these bonuses only apply if you credit to that program. Especially meilenrechner.de or meilenrechner.ch have tricked many. If you use it, make sure you get the miles from a 100% earning class for a member without any tier bonus.

2. Find the operating carriers fare class

If your ticket is marketed and operated by the same airline, this is normally easily found, quoted on your ticket and/or in the booking process.

However, if your flight is a codeshare flight, this task may be tricky. The fare class you are qouted when you buy a codeshare ticket is the marketing carrier's fare class. It may or may not be the fare class that your ticket is issued under on the operating carrier. Sometimes the marketing airline maps the real fare class to one of their own, and sometimed they use the operating carriers fare class as is. There is no standard way of finding out which, but sometimes one can obtain the booking reference on the operating carrier and from that work out the fare class.
Many times there is no problem at all but if earnings are important to you, you should find out this or maybe stay away from codeshares for this flight.

3. For each segment, find the earnings from A3's site
http://en.aegeanair.com/milesandbonu...on/earn-miles/

Go to A3 and find the chart for your operating carrier. Make sure you find the current one, as sometimes an older version co-exists. If the chart is devided into regions, look under the correct region sub chart for each leg. Find the fare class you obtained in #2.

If there is an accrual factor, multiply the segment miles by the factor. If the result is lower than the minimum (should there be such a column) you will get the value under minimum instead. Do not apply accrual factor to minimum values, as this is already done in the table.

If there instead is a "Flat miles" value, you get the flat miles value for the segment, regardless of distance flown. Do not apply accrual factor to flat miles.

Warning: If you cannot find the booking class under the operating carrier chart, the earning is 0 miles.

Do not multiply your miles with any other factors. A3 M&B-program does not have any bonus factors that is not shown in the table. Operating carriers bonus factors only applies to their own programs and not to A3.

Very good, but I would change 1.b) to emphasize that direct flights (same flight number with a stop, regardless of whether there is an aircraft change) should use the mileage from the origin to the destination and ignore the routing or stops. Landing and getting on another plane doesn't change things if there is a single flight number.

wxxnxs Aug 6, 2012 2:50 am

I have a question here. If I book a ticket which operates by Air China and one of its segments shows flight number as CAxxxx but operated by another airline, under this circumstance, will I still be eligible to earn miles?

intuition Aug 6, 2012 3:24 am

I am guessing the "op by" airline is not a *A carrier so; No, you will not earn on that segment.
(If it is *A, you need to find the operating airline's fare class mapping as described in #2 above to know)

wxxnxs Aug 6, 2012 3:52 am

Originally Posted by intuition (Post 19067230)
I am guessing the "op by" airline is not a *A carrier so; No, you will not earn on that segment.
(If it is *A, you need to find the operating airline's fare class mapping as described in #2 above to know)

Ah...here we go. My ticket shows class fare is "U" which is exactly the same as my 1st segment which operates by CA, hope I can earn miles.:D

roland_wa Sep 14, 2012 6:28 pm

I booked KRK-WAW on LOT - class V. gcc shows 153 miles and the earning chart 50% without minimum miles. Will I really get only 76 miles credited? Any experiences...?

Air Rarotonga Sep 14, 2012 7:04 pm

Originally Posted by roland_wa (Post 19317744)
I booked KRK-WAW on LOT - class V. gcc shows 153 miles and the earning chart 50% without minimum miles. Will I really get only 76 miles credited? Any experiences...?

Correct! Maybe you get 77 miles for it ;)

pewpew Sep 23, 2012 10:53 am

I flew AC in L using eups to get R: do I get credit for R or for L? What are the conditions to get the 150%/750 minimum with R on AC if it can't be a purchased/complimentary upgrade?

intuition Sep 23, 2012 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 19369245)
I flew AC in L using eups to get R: do I get credit for R or for L? What are the conditions to get the 150%/750 minimum with R on AC if it can't be a purchased/complimentary upgrade?

Most probably having an original ticket in Y or B, as these are the only two fare classes that earn 150% with 750 minimum.

R class (complimentary/purchased upgrades) accrual is as per the original booking class purchased.

MSPeconomist Sep 24, 2012 7:28 pm

Originally Posted by pewpew (Post 19369245)

Getting miles based on the ticket you purchased is pretty universal among FF programs.

denCSA Sep 29, 2012 7:33 pm

You know what I found odd recently, though in a good way... Flying on AV/TA in Z-class (dirt cheap lowest fare) gets 50% credit on all the *A FFPs I've checked (even AV's own program I believe). However, A3 credits everything in coach on AV (including Z-class) at 100% with a 500 minimum. A simple case where A3 is less restrictive on cheap fares!

Sometimes these programs really don't make much sense, but it all works out to my benefit in the end :D

djgwk Oct 24, 2012 1:58 am

Please check my math for A3*G

I'm just double-checking my math before I unleash it...

2000mi signup bonus
TPA-PHX-TPA on US in G (GC cays 3576mi @ 100% A3 earn)
=*A Silver
TPA-IAH-LAX-SFO-ORD-TPA on UA in A (*A Calc says 16545mi with min seg lengths and 300% A3 fare class earn)
= *A Gold

... am I right? Or even close?

intuition Oct 24, 2012 3:06 am

Seems right.
(Only the LAX-SFO gets minimum, all others gets accrual factor)

KLouis Oct 24, 2012 3:09 am

According to WebFlyer::Milemarker, your "long" trip should give you 16044 miles. Would this make a difference to you if true?