Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles&Bonus
Reload this Page >

United P-class and US Airways Codeshare [consolidated]

Old Jun 15, 12, 2:59 pm
Original Poster

Programs: AA EXP, OZ*G, Avis CHM, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG Gold

Via A3's *A accrual chart on their website, they don't list the accrual factor for P class, just F and A. Trying to book a SFO-LAX on P on the following example:

#UA 1626 P 01AUG WE SFO SAN 1029P 1159P 739 R [email protected]

Wondering what accrual factor it will earn, the standard 300%? It's considered domestic first but does anyone have any experience?

2nd Question:

Similar, if I booked the exact same flight as a US-codeshare in A:

#US 6229 A 01AUG WE SFOSAN 1029P 1159P/O 739 R$ E

What would I earn? Same exact seat, same UA tin can. I suspect I would only earn 150% at the US rate.

Does anyone have experience on either of the above?
Old Jun 15, 12, 3:03 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
AFAIK the normal *A rule that the metal matters and you must translate the fare class for codeshares would apply here. So you should earn according to the UA chart for A3 miles on the A3 website, but at whatever UA fare class is equivalent to the US fare class of A.

What would be the cost difference to book it as fare class A on UA? Then the miles would be unambiguous and generous.
Old Jun 15, 12, 3:39 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK the normal *A rule that the metal matters and you must translate the fare class for codeshares would apply here. So you should earn according to the UA chart for A3 miles on the A3 website, but at whatever UA fare class is equivalent to the US fare class of A.

What would be the cost difference to book it as fare class A on UA? Then the miles would be unambiguous and generous.
Well, I'm trying to use a US credit/voucher which can only be used to ticket US metal or US-codeshares. So if I do a US-codeshare in A, but on UA metal, that's where the confusion comes in: do I earn based on US-A, or based on UA-A?

Also, still don't know what UA-P earns --- A3 site is silent on that.
Old Jun 15, 12, 4:17 pm

Programs: DL-Silver; BA-Bronze
Originally Posted by Insiderdude View Post
Well, I'm trying to use a US credit/voucher which can only be used to ticket US metal or US-codeshares. So if I do a US-codeshare in A, but on UA metal, that's where the confusion comes in: do I earn based on US-A, or based on UA-A?

If you're on UA metal - you'll earn mileage based on the United accrual on the charts. Since P isn't listed as mileage earning, if you're actually in P, you'll earn 0 miles. The fact that it's a US codeshare doesn't matter. You would have to determine what UA fare bucket the US codeshare maps into. I'm not sure there is a way to do that prior to booking. If it books into UA A, then you'll earn miles; if P, then nothing.

Apparently, A3 hasn't updated their charts since the UA/CO merger to reflect the P discounted business class fare bucket but until they do, you're out of luck.
Old Jun 15, 12, 7:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K,AA Plat, Marriott Platinum, HHonors Diamond, Starbucks Gold
Yep, it's definitely based on what you pay for. I flew UA iah-ord last week in E, payed $149 to upgrade (got ZN); only earned 9xx miles an not 2700ish even though I was in first.

Most likely with P you'll get 0.
Old Jun 15, 12, 7:35 pm

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM

Neither. You will earn from the UA chart on the A3 website based on the UA fare class to which your ticket corresponds. What matters is the operating carrier (metal), which would be UA here, but one needs to know to which fare class UA considers your US codeshare ticket to be equivalent.
Old Jun 16, 12, 5:50 pm
Original Poster

OK, I made a dummy booking, notice I used US 6563 in A class on August 8th from SAN-SFO. Priced out to $413. However, it did calculate a fare basis code at the bottom, which is HUA14UPN (An H-up fare, unsurprisingly). Does that mean this is US's fare code or UA's fare code? In either case, it's looking like I'll accrue based on H-class, which is only 100% on both US and UA. Am I correct?

1*US6563A 08AUG WE SANSFO SS1 333P 459P/O $ E
TKG FAX-NOT PRICED FARE TYPE EX
* STNDBY/CHG FEE/NO RFND//CXL BY FLT DT/
* PRICING RULES VALIDATING CARRIER DEFAULT US
* SURCHARGE APPLIED *
** 08AUG DEPARTURE DATE/ 17JUN IS LAST DATE TO TICKET

TICKET BASE USD TX/FEE USD TKT TTL USD
ADT01 374.88 38.92 413.80
*TTL 374.88 38.92 413.80

*AS BOOKED
LOWEST FARE ALREADY BOOKED IN THIS COMPARTMENT
FBC ADT HUA14UPN
Old Jun 16, 12, 10:44 pm

OK, I made a dummy booking, notice I used US 6563 in A class on August 8th from SAN-SFO. Priced out to $413. However, it did calculate a fare basis code at the bottom, which is HUA14UPN (An H-up fare, unsurprisingly). Does that mean this is US's fare code or UA's fare code? In either case, it's looking like I'll accrue based on H-class, which is only 100% on both US and UA. Am I correct?

1*US6563A 08AUG WE SANSFO SS1 333P 459P/O $ E
TKG FAX-NOT PRICED FARE TYPE EX
* STNDBY/CHG FEE/NO RFND//CXL BY FLT DT/
* PRICING RULES VALIDATING CARRIER DEFAULT US
* SURCHARGE APPLIED *
** 08AUG DEPARTURE DATE/ 17JUN IS LAST DATE TO TICKET

TICKET BASE USD TX/FEE USD TKT TTL USD
ADT01 374.88 38.92 413.80
*TTL 374.88 38.92 413.80

*AS BOOKED
LOWEST FARE ALREADY BOOKED IN THIS COMPARTMENT
FBC ADT HUA14UPN
This is the actual fare code. AFAIK you need to know the FC inventory class that it books into on UA. For example, UA flights (UA operated and UA marketed) offer A fares in FC, which are actually something-UP instant upgrades from coach with fare classes starting in something and probably containing UP, but they count as A fare class for A3 miles, not as something fare class.

My best guess is that this is considered to be an A fare class, but you need to check this.

You might try to do a dummy booking on the United website for these flights and see if they have an instant UP fare that books into fare class A for the same fare.
Old Jun 17, 12, 9:36 am

One way you can determine for sure what fare bucket it books into on UA is to book the US flight. Once you have booked the flight, you can call up US and get the United confirmation number. With that you can pull it up on the UA site and determine their fare bucket.

US allows for free cancellation within 24 hours so if you're not happy with the result, call in and cancel your ticket.
Old Jun 18, 12, 3:32 pm

Programs: M&M: FTL; A3: *G; Hertz: #1 Club Gold President's Circle
United's new P Business class fare bucket

hi all,

there are a lot of post on the P but in Y class it seems ...

does anyone have idea for miles % in P (C class) with UA
is it always 200% like the other C class?

On M&M and LH it's seems to change in September to 100%
But now and on a UA flight with P Business class for miles on A3??

thank you
Old Jun 18, 12, 8:26 pm

United P class isn't listed as an earning fare class on the Aegean website therefore you will receive 0 miles for any flight taken in this class.

They haven't updated their earning charts since the UA/CO merger so until they do, you are out of luck.
Old Jun 19, 12, 12:24 am

Programs: M&M: FTL; A3: *G; Hertz: #1 Club Gold President's Circle
thus P class is P class... same in Business and Economy for miles...

It's crazy to do a Business flight without miles...
Old Jun 25, 12, 7:16 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by bevoinva View Post
One way you can determine for sure what fare bucket it books into on UA is to book the US flight. Once you have booked the flight, you can call up US and get the United confirmation number. With that you can pull it up on the UA site and determine their fare bucket.

US allows for free cancellation within 24 hours so if you're not happy with the result, call in and cancel your ticket.
Isn't 24 hours cancelation rule is mandatory by law for any ticket originating in US?
Old Jun 25, 12, 9:43 am

Originally Posted by Egor View Post
Isn't 24 hours cancelation rule is mandatory by law for any ticket originating in US?
AFAIK the carrier can either offer the 24 hour cancellation or a 24 hour hold privilege. It doesn't apply to tickets purchased close to the travel date and it doesn't apply to award tickets. I'm not sure whether the law requires it for international tickets.
Old Jun 26, 12, 6:19 am

Programs: A3*G, AF/KL Gold, Hilton Gold, Club Carlson Gold
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist View Post
AFAIK the carrier can either offer the 24 hour cancellation or a 24 hour hold privilege. It doesn't apply to tickets purchased close to the travel date and it doesn't apply to award tickets. I'm not sure whether the law requires it for international tickets.
Considering SU had implemented it for ex-US tickets and for them only (and they obviously only have international departures) it seems like mandatory for international flights as well

Search this Thread
Search Engine: