Search

Best use of 10,500 A3 miles?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 15, 2012, 7:20 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Best use of 10,500 A3 miles?

Hi All--

My wife and I are new to the program and both have about 10,500 miles on A3. Nice surprise to have Silver status on Star Alliance after a long flight. That said, our honeymoon will be in Greece/Croatia likely and I am wondering if the best use of A3 miles would be to stick to a one-way intra-Greece flight? Or an upgrade? (worth it due to short flight times?). Should we earn a few more miles? Any other non flying earning options? We could maybe add a US/UA flight or two to get our balances higher but wanted to ask the experts first.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 3:00 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
Since you are going to Greece, I'd say use the miles for a rental car and keep adding miles to your account. Flights are not that expensive. A oneway ATH-HER is currently about €26 before taxes... So that is the amount you will save with your miles.

At least if your destination is something like Crete where you can use a car. Don't bother with a car in Athens.
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:29 am

Id say keep saving them up . If you get enough maybe use for an upgrade on an A3 flight if you get the chance.

Just some advice the earlier you book the Domestics the better. Prices have gone up depending on dates etc...

Car hire on the Islands a great idea. In Athens the public Tram/Bus/Metro are very good and cheap. EUR1.40 for a ticket for 90 mins ( Single ) journey multiple changes between all the above. Been using it myself over the last few weeks
Old Dec 16, 2012, 6:46 am
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by kdinino
Should we earn a few more miles? Any other non flying earning options?
booking.com, car rental elsewhere, but these don't count for status

If you get to 12500 you can redeem for a 1-way North American flight, could be useful for last minute travel (I believe the taxes in the US are minimal unlike in Europe)
Old Dec 16, 2012, 11:58 am
Original Poster

Thanks all. Does 12,500 miles get us a one-way intra-Europe? right? I think ATH to somewhere in Croatia or Italy would be nice...
Old Dec 16, 2012, 5:48 pm
:D!
Hilton Contributor BadgeIHG Contributor Badge

Programs: BA Diamond, Hilton Bronze, A3 Diamond, IHG *G
Originally Posted by kdinino
Thanks all. Does 12,500 miles get us a one-way intra-Europe? right? I think ATH to somewhere in Croatia or Italy would be nice...
Yes, but taxes may be high and there is the question of how you are getting back to ATH (or maybe open jaw from the US?). Check out the cost of paid tickets before redeeming. For Italy you would be flying A3 anyway so it's 11,000, unless you wanted to go via VIE/FRA or something.

I presume you want to achieve Gold status soon, and then you will have 20k to play with..
Old Dec 16, 2012, 8:18 pm
Original Poster

this is true although I won't have enough time to acheive Gold in 2012 year so will have to try next year
Old Dec 20, 2012, 6:52 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you use miles for a rental car, the default is a small vehicle without an automatic transmission. (Check whether it would be air conditioned.) Even if you try to confirm and pay extra for the automatic, you could still have problems when you go to pick up the car in that they will automatically give you one with a stick shift and might not have an automatic at that location, resulting in a long wait. YMMV.
Old Dec 21, 2012, 6:19 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you use miles for a rental car, the default is a small vehicle without an automatic transmission. (Check whether it would be air conditioned.) Even if you try to confirm and pay extra for the automatic, you could still have problems when you go to pick up the car in that they will automatically give you one with a stick shift and might not have an automatic at that location, resulting in a long wait. YMMV.
Also check to see if your credit card's car insurance is applicable to bookings secured and paid with by points. For the unexpectedly underinsured, such surprises related to insurance can be relatively nasty and certainly unwelcome.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.