Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Horrible A3 earn rate - switch FFP program at gate?

Old Feb 23, 2012, 3:49 pm
Original Poster

Hello all,

I'll be flying LHR-LCA on A3 soon. I've already achieved A3 Gold, but their earn rate for T fares is a measly 500 miles, compared to 70% on OZ (1,428 miles) and 100% on SQ (2,040 miles) (two other programs I'm part of, though without status).

Does anyone know if A3 uses FQTV and FQTS fields in their ticketing? Otherwise, would the best option be to switch programs at the gate?

Thanks!
Old Feb 23, 2012, 7:30 pm

Programs: NH Plat
Originally Posted by ValentineC
Does anyone know if A3 uses FQTV and FQTS fields in their ticketing? Otherwise, would the best option be to switch programs at the gate?

Thanks!
Just switch the numbers in the lounge when you book yourself in. They should be able to do it easily.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 3:56 pm

Programs: TK Elite Plus, SAS EBG, QR Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by Nogbad
Just switch the numbers in the lounge when you book yourself in. They should be able to do it easily.
On A3 you can't switch FFP since it's against the regulations of the programme. I.e if you want to get the perks of lounge access, you have to credit the miles to the card. Otherwise your account may be canceled.
Old Feb 25, 2012, 11:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Most
Originally Posted by LH4116
On A3 you can't switch FFP since it's against the regulations of the programme. I.e if you want to get the perks of lounge access, you have to credit the miles to the card. Otherwise your account may be canceled.
I really don't believe this nonsense.

Your reservation can have two fields:

FQTV for the program where you want the miles to go
FQTS for the status that you want to use
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:40 am

Originally Posted by LH4116
I really thought this rumour had been squashed in other threads.

Please could you provide a link the the bit in the terms and conditions or regulations where it says this, LH4116?
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:46 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I really thought this rumour had been squashed in other threads.

Please could you provide a link the the bit in the terms and conditions or regulations where it says this, LH4116?
I think it was squashed too... I'm still waiting on confirmation from my contact at A3.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 2:02 pm
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
I agree. Use the A3 to get into the lounge and swap out to another FF number before boarding.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by jason8612
I agree. Use the A3 to get into the lounge and swap out to another FF number before boarding.
Why not just have the crediting FFP number on your BP to start with, and just use for A3*G for lounge access? Well, by having your A3*G number on your booking at check-in ensures you get all *G check-in/luggage perks. And with your A3 number on your BP when you access the lounge you meet even the strictest interpretation of the A3 T&C. Additionally, sometimes you get lounge invites at check-in or just invitations printed on your BP - it is then much quicker to enter the lounge, rather than having hand over your A3 card again, explain that Aegean is really a *A airline, show them it is listed on the wall, and wait for them to type it in and wait for computer say yes. Also, there are rumours that some airlines block seats next to *Gs. So I think it makes more sense to initially associate your BP with your A3*G number when booking and change the crediting later if needed for that flight.
Old Feb 27, 2012, 1:07 am

Why not just have the crediting FFP number on your BP to start with, and just use for A3*G for lounge access? Well, by having your A3*G number on your booking at check-in ensures you get all *G check-in/luggage perks. And with your A3 number on your BP when you access the lounge you meet even the strictest interpretation of the A3 T&C. Additionally, sometimes you get lounge invites at check-in or just invitations printed on your BP - it is then much quicker to enter the lounge, rather than having hand over your A3 card again, explain that Aegean is really a *A airline, show them it is listed on the wall, and wait for them to type it in and wait for computer say yes. Also, there are rumours that some airlines block seats next to *Gs. So I think it makes more sense to initially associate your BP with your A3*G number when booking and change the crediting later if needed for that flight.
That works too.
But like you mentioned, many agents still are unaware that A3 exists.
Old Feb 28, 2012, 6:41 pm

Programs: AC Elite, Marriot Silver
Used my A3 *S on my boarding pass. When I went to check-in my luggage from USA > Canada, because I didn't have any meaningful status on A3, I was about to get charged for luggage fees. Had to whip out the Aeroplan Elite card to switch FFP to save on luggage fees.

Old Feb 29, 2012, 3:58 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Originally Posted by holtju2
I really don't believe this nonsense.

Your reservation can have two fields:

FQTV for the program where you want the miles to go
FQTS for the status that you want to use
Doesn't that mean A3 only gets the bill for the lounge, but no income from your flight?
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:11 am

Originally Posted by Xandrios
Doesn't that mean A3 only gets the bill for the lounge, but no income from your flight?
No, the general impression is that in *A any charges for lounge access are picked up by the operating carrier (for both premium pax and *G) in the same way that they pick up extra luggage costs and allow access to their business class check-ins etc. It makes sense really as the operating carrier is the one profiting out of your loyalty. There was a whole discussion about this recently, this post in it from our glorious moderator was probably the most clear.
Old Feb 29, 2012, 8:56 am

No, the general impression is that in *A any charges for lounge access are picked up by the operating carrier (for both premium pax and *G) in the same way that they pick up extra luggage costs and allow access to their business class check-ins etc. It makes sense really as the operating carrier is the one profiting out of your loyalty. There was a whole discussion about this recently, this post in it from our glorious moderator was probably the most clear.
Nice, it got confirmed finally!
Old Feb 29, 2012, 6:28 pm

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
There was a whole discussion about this recently, this post in it from our glorious moderator was probably the most clear.
Your what-ious Moderator? Wouldn't pay much attention to him. He's full of it. Ask anyone who's met him...
Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:22 pm

Originally Posted by GoldCircle
Your what-ious Moderator? Wouldn't pay much attention to him. He's full of it. Ask anyone who's met him...

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.