Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

Help with Mileage earning Question please?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 12, 2012, 3:54 pm
Original Poster

Programs: BD*G + A3*G

Hi

Wonder if someone can help with this

I have a run booked on United in the next few days to get enough miles to get a A3 *G from one trip

Booked in First on an "A" Class Ticket

LAS-ORD-SJU-IAD-LAS

The problem is that I have just found out that the Cabin on the ORD-SJU and SJU-IAD Sectors are being reclassified as Business rather than first, (Same Seats Same Aircraft, just the product has been reclassified as Business since the booking was made)

So my online booking now shows 2 Secors in First on an "A" Class and 2 Sectors in Business on a "D" Class, by the Booking code on my E-Ticket and online is still "A" for all sectors

United offered no option other than suck it and see, or cancel for a refund.

Any advice do you think these sectors will still credit as "A" for 300% or now credit for "D" at 200%

The annoying thing is if they credit as D it will leave me about 400 miles of Gold, where if it credits as the booked "A" it will be gold sorted.

Any Advice Appreciated.

Cheers

Richard
Old Jan 12, 2012, 5:54 pm

Programs: AA Gold, IHG & Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
You're probably going to have trouble with that. Could you reroute some or all of the D segments? For example, I see A fares available if you switch IAD-LAS from a nonstop to IAD-IAH-LAS (stop in Houston). And even with D fares the stop in Houston should yield enough mileage credit to cross the line.
Old Jan 12, 2012, 6:34 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
If you cancel for a refund, can you find another ticket for about the same price that will surely give you 19,000 A3 status miles?
Old Jan 12, 2012, 9:11 pm
Original Poster

Hi Guys

The Run is this Weekend, and there is no availability on any UA Metal Alternates (MLK weekend so things are a bit busy), and I have none changeable hotels booked in PR for 2 nights, so cannot really change the dates

Looks like I will have to live with it and just take the lower 200% Mileage on the 2 D Segments, Just really annoyed that after booking (Just 2 weeks ago), they decide to rename these A320 2 Class Routes from First to Business even though its exactly the same service as before

UA Customer Services were not much help, all they would offer was a $75 E-Cert for the inconvienience
Old Jan 13, 2012, 12:37 am

Just reroute to add the stop in IAH. I'm seeing A fare availability on IAD-IAH-LAS for January 14, 15, 16, and 17. IAH to LAS is on Continental metal but it'll still work. There's also possible routing through SFO or LAX.
Old Jan 13, 2012, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by sipples
Just reroute to add the stop in IAH. I'm seeing A fare availability on IAD-IAH-LAS for January 14, 15, 16, and 17. IAH to LAS is on Continental metal but it'll still work. There's also possible routing through SFO or LAX.
If IAH-LAS is on Continental metal, doesn't that mean that he will end up getting business class miles only? That would actually mean that he will lose even more miles, as IAD-LAS is in first class.

Edited to add that I checked the Aegean table for Continental, and they only give 125% for FJCD, and 100% for Z, so rerouting on Continetal would be disastrous.

IAD-LAS gives him 3 x 2065 = 6195.
IAD-IAH-LAS would probably give him (3 x 1190) + (1.25 x 1222) = 5097
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:08 am
Original Poster

Thanks Guys

Yes I saw the option with the segment on CO Metal but as stated that would have brought the miles even lower

Will just have to go with it and argue it out with UA when I get back. I still see it as an in involuntry downgrade, but they are adament it is nothing more than a product name change..
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:08 pm

Programs: US CP, MR Plat, SPG Plat, HHonors Gold, National X
Please report back!!
Old Jan 13, 2012, 8:50 pm

OK, how about via SFO?
Old Jan 13, 2012, 10:10 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by sipples
OK, how about via SFO?
I tried but they quoted a crazy change fee!, and will ont waive it

Only options were take the trip or cancel and get refunded then rebook whatever is available at the new price.

They would not consider any changes without paying the much higher costs.

Just going to live with it, worst case I will be 1k short of gold. Which will be an easy pick up

I will update the thread once the flights post.

Cheers

Richard
Old Jan 14, 2012, 3:18 pm

Programs: Flying Blue Gold + Aegean Airlines Gold
Why not just do one more short flight in eonomy to a cheap destination afterwards?
Old Jan 17, 2012, 6:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Danois1975
Why not just do one more short flight in eonomy to a cheap destination afterwards?
Yes that could be done, but the point is I piad for a trip that was designed to generate the required 20k miles in one go, that will add extra expense

UPDATE

Ok The Outbounds have credited, and as feared the ORD-SJU is at the lower rate. (200% for the "D" Segment, the LAS-ORD credited correctly at 300%

UA Customer services say the flight was reclassified a 2 cabin Econmy/Business Service after I booked (At the time it was Economy/First). But still refuse any liability saying I flew the same plane in the same seat and its only the name that changed, as for the loss of miles Tough!

personally I cannot see how that is right, I did not get what I booked and paid for.. Will Take it up with UA in the UK when I get home next week, not a lot I can do till then.

But Beware if booking any of the UA "international" (Mainly Puerto Rico & Mexico) destinations, in A on a 2 class service as customer services advised they are realigning these to Business Class

Cheers

Richard
Old Feb 3, 2012, 5:52 am
Original Poster

Just an update on this

After a lot of back and forth between UA & A3 I have just had another email back from UA Customer support to say they have decided that they cannot award the missing 2072 miles for the ORD-SJU or the 1571 miles for the SJU-IAD.

BUT after UA have spoken to A3 about it, that A3 have agreed to credit both myself and my wife with 1700 miles each to push us up to the Gold Qualification limit. So at least we get the A3 Gold in one which is what the trip was planned for,

Very Decent of A3 who seem to have taken the hit on that side of it, and UA have issued a $200 Credit each towards a future flight for the inconvience.

So sorted...
Old Feb 3, 2012, 6:21 am

Programs: HH D,CC,SPG,AZ: Gold;BA Silver, TK Elite
Indeed, that's really nice of A3, I know for a fact that BA wouldn't have lifted a finger if it was the same scenario...

Thumbs up for A3, another reason to join their FFP
Old Feb 4, 2012, 7:37 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
You did well, but I wonder whether the EU 261 rules could have protected you at all as you seem to have purchased a FC ticket but were downgraded to business class without any compensation or refund. It's a lower class or service, although of course it's now being sold for the same price as when it was called FC.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.