Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Aegean Airlines | Miles+Bonus
Reload this Page >

A3 for *G/Bag Fee Waivers/Lounge Access: An Analysis for UACO flyers

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:36 am
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold

I am 1,050 miles short of A3 *G...I'll cross the 20k threshold in December. I put together an analysis of the costs and benefits of making A3 your *A program of choice.

I've not yet been to Greece...but when I get there over the next two years, I'll have my A3 Gold Card!

Here is LINK REMOVED BY MOD DUE TO REPEATED MALWARE SECURITY ALERTS. I'd welcome any comments or suggestions!

Last edited by GoldCircle; Dec 5, 2011 at 8:54 am Reason: Link removed - malware alert!
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:50 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I'm gonna lock this down until the OP has contacted his blog site administrator and had it swept for malicious code. We'll open it again at that point. When ready NYBanker - just hit the little red report post icon and we'll get things moving again.
The article link was to a blog that point to A3 *G status as the cheapest way to get UACO RCC access.

GoldCircle
Aegean Airlines forum Mod
Old Nov 25, 2011, 8:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM (FO soon), A3 Gold, TK Classic Plus, SPG Plat, HH Gold, Hyatt Diamond, National EE
I think the biggest value of the program is for people like you (or me) who primarily fly other alliances, or who just don't fly much. If you're a star alliance flyer, you're giving up some combination of EQMs and RDMs (and bonus RDMs) in your primary program, while as a flyer from another alliance you're not giving up nearly as much.

I'm generally crediting my *A flights to A3. Lounge access via gold is an especially useful complement to those who get domestic lounge access via Amex, as it fills most of the holes in that program.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:31 pm

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
I agree with some of the analysis, but not all of it.

For example, a 1P would have absolutely no use for A3 status, unless they want to continue crediting to A3 (and I'm not sure why that would happen).

A3's policy that in order to recieve benifits, you must credit to them makes this strategy not effective.
Old Nov 25, 2011, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Jumbo mas
Originally Posted by PVDtoDEL
For example, a 1P would have absolutely no use for A3 status, unless they want to continue crediting to A3 (and I'm not sure why that would happen).
Do you not get UA lounge access while flying UA on domestic US service if you are a *G member from a foreign carrier? That is a valuable benefit.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 12:01 am

Programs: TK ELPL (*G), AS 100K (OWE), BA Gold (OWE), Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
Do you not get UA lounge access while flying UA on domestic US service if you are a *G member from a foreign carrier? That is a valuable benefit.
Sure, it's a valuable benifit, but at what cost?

A3 has a policy that in order to use your benifits, you must credit to them, or your account will be closed after multiple infractions. I assume this is because they offset the lounge fees, etc. with the income from selling miles to the operating carrier.

Therefore, A3 has basically made it so that they must be your primary *A FFP to be of any use.
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:35 pm

...A3 has a policy that in order to use your benifits, you must credit to them, or your account will be closed after multiple infractions...
I fully understand this, and I am not afraid of such a policy as B&M is my primary programme and A3 the airline I use most of the times. Still, this policy is not stated anywhere by A3 and it sort of goes against what *A describes. Where do you have the info from?
Old Nov 26, 2011, 9:41 pm

Originally Posted by KLouis
I fully understand this, and I am not afraid of such a policy as B&M is my primary programme and A3 the airline I use most of the times. Still, this policy is not stated anywhere by A3 and it sort of goes against what *A describes. Where do you have the info from?
A contact who used to work for A3.

Apparently it is covered in the clause which goes something like "your A3 number must be reflected on your Boarding Pass to use benifits."
Old Nov 27, 2011, 1:46 pm
Original Poster
Four Seasons Contributor Badge

Programs: AA PLT+2MM / DL DM+1MM / A3 *G / Fairmont LT Plat / Ritz Gold / SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Eastbay1K
A contact who used to work for A3.

Apparently it is covered in the clause which goes something like "your A3 number must be reflected on your Boarding Pass to use benifits."
Interesting. I am going for Gold mainly for the UA/CO lounge access.

A friend of mine who has reached A3 gold says he just presents his A3 card at the UA lounge - though his booking and boarding pass have his UA number for miles accrual. I haven't been with him when he enters the lounge, so I don't know the procedures they go through.

If you have a different FF number in your record, do the UA lounge dragons swipe the A3 card or manually note it in the PNR? How does the info get back to A3?

When I had a BA Gold (OW-E) card but started accruing on American, I just presented my BA card at the AA lounges and they'd let me straight into the Flagship Lounges - without any sort of notation. (This was in 2008.)
Old Nov 27, 2011, 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by NYBanker
Interesting. I am going for Gold mainly for the UA/CO lounge access.

A friend of mine who has reached A3 gold says he just presents his A3 card at the UA lounge - though his booking and boarding pass have his UA number for miles accrual. I haven't been with him when he enters the lounge, so I don't know the procedures they go through.

If you have a different FF number in your record, do the UA lounge dragons swipe the A3 card or manually note it in the PNR? How does the info get back to A3?

When I had a BA Gold (OW-E) card but started accruing on American, I just presented my BA card at the AA lounges and they'd let me straight into the Flagship Lounges - without any sort of notation. (This was in 2008.)
I'd assume it's not too hard for them to figure out when they are paying the lounge fees for him but don't get the revenue?

Not sure about the specifics, sorry...
Old Nov 29, 2011, 3:31 am

Programs: LX M&M FTL, Aegean Gold, Mabuhay Miles Platinum
I'd assume it's not too hard for them to figure out when they are paying the lounge fees for him but don't get the revenue?

Not sure about the specifics, sorry...
It is however a valid question; yesterday I took a short flight from DUS to ZRH and when entering the lounge, the woman only scanned the bar code printed on my boarding card, without doing anything with the information on my Aegean card. I was billing the miles to A3 (as they give 500 instead of the 125 I would get with M&M) but had I used a different FFP, there would be no link to A3 whatsoever by just scanning my boarding card.

This actually supports the claim of others, that it is the operating carrier paying for the lounge access and not the gold card issuer.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 4:26 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by herriebo
It is however a valid question; yesterday I took a short flight from DUS to ZRH and when entering the lounge, the woman only scanned the bar code printed on my boarding card, without doing anything with the information on my Aegean card. I was billing the miles to A3 (as they give 500 instead of the 125 I would get with M&M) but had I used a different FFP, there would be no link to A3 whatsoever by just scanning my boarding card.

This actually supports the claim of others, that it is the operating carrier paying for the lounge access and not the gold card issuer.
I agree with that statement.
And there is nothing in the T&C that state that A3 can cancel the member's status. Just cause 1 agent said so doesn't make it true.
And I don't see that clause anywhere in the rules.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 6:27 am
Moderator, Finnair

Programs: Eurobonus Diamond, QR Gold, AY+ Platinum, A3*G, Nordic Choice Lifetime Platinum, SJ Prio Black
It is very clearly stated that A3 can cancel a membership, miles and status:

Terms and conditions

General terms
5. Violation of the Terms by the Member may lead to cancellation of all Member’s Miles, offers, as well as their entire membership.
Old Nov 29, 2011, 7:46 am

Programs: EI-GCE, BD-G, BA-G, A3*G, TK*G, FB-G, HH-G, Hyatt-Dia
I've always understood that the operating carrier pays for the lounge access. Membership of the alliance comes with its costs as well as its benefits for the airlines.

Very often a lounge has shared costs and that's why they record the entry via BP of the operating carrier; recording of status could be down to internal accounting (i.e. what's the cost of servicing alliance generated business).
Old Nov 29, 2011, 8:40 am
Moderator, Hertz; FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1MM, BA GGL, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond and others
Originally Posted by arahlen
It is very clearly stated that A3 can cancel a membership, miles and status:

Terms and conditions

General terms
5. Violation of the Terms by the Member may lead to cancellation of all Member’s Miles, offers, as well as their entire membership.
yes, but where does it say that by not having the A3 miles credited and using the lounge, that they can cancel it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.