Fairmont Le Montreux Palace

Old May 3, 07, 2:53 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Alaska Airlines MVP, Fairmont FPC Platinum, Starwood Gold, Hilton Gold

Fairmont Hotels & Resorts today announced a new hotel in Switzerland will join its collection of landmark hotels on June 6, 2007 - Fairmont Le Montreux Palace.

Located in an idyllic setting on the shores of Lake Geneva, Fairmont Le Montreux Palace's Belle Epoque grandeur has been attracting visitors for over 100 years. The 235-room hotel offers five restaurants and two bars, a 2000 sq.m (over 21,000 sq. ft) Willow Stream Spa, fitness facility and distinctive meeting space for up to 1,200 people.

Renowned as one of the finest hotels in the world, the property officially opened March 19, 1906 after a building time of only 18 months overseen by Eugène Jost, a famous architect of the Lake Geneva Riviera.

With magnificent views over Lake Geneva and the snow capped Alps, Montreux has long been an inspiration to travelers and artists, including Lord Byron, Vladimir Nabokov, Freddie Mercury and even Deep Purple, who begin their classic "Smoke on the Water" with a homage to the location.

There is no shortage of activities in Montreux, with culinary adventures by train to rustic vineyards or chocolate factories and the medieval town of Gruyères, famous for its namesake cheese. Shopping in Montreux and Vevey (folkloric market on summer Saturdays) as well as outdoor activities including hiking, biking, paragliding, canyoning, afternoon cruises and visits to Chillon castle, which inspired Byron's "The Prisoner of Chillon" are just a few of many offers.

The new location offers travelers an additional Fairmont in Europe, joining sister properties Fairmont Hotel Vier Jahreszeiten, Hamburg (Germany), The Savoy, A Fairmont Hotel (London), the Fairmont St. Andrews (Scotland) and the Fairmont Monte Carlo (Monaco) which will unveil a €42 million renovation this May.
Old Apr 9, 09, 6:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend and Moderator: Air Canada Aeroplan & Manufactured Spending

http://www.ibtimes.com/contents/2009...sign-april.htm

Luxury Hotels: In April, Switzerland's legendary Fairmont Le Montreux Palace will unveil a major multimillion-dollar renovation by noted interior designer Fiona Thompson complete with a new luxury suite named after Queen frontman Freddie Mercury. The hotel, which overlooks the French Alps on the shores of Lake Geneva and was built in 1906, will introduce a contemporary new redesign of its guest rooms, Brasserie and public spaces. The Freddie Mercury Suite is dedicated to the flamboyant musician who was a Montreux resident and frequent guest of the hotel.
Old Dec 1, 09, 6:14 am

Programs: A bunch of pretty little colored plastic cards.
Le Montreux Palace, Switzerland

Had a rather shocking experience at Le Montreux Palace but you can read my full report on my blog: http://www.glutenfreemike.com/blog.html

This was my first visit since it became a Fairmont (versus Raffles branding) and it just is not the same hotel it once was with all the new changes (and not for the better really).
Old Dec 21, 09, 11:31 am
Suspended

Montreux Palace

I was there last weekend
Old Jan 23, 10, 1:57 pm

Programs: Yes please
So what does that mean for my stay in June? Will we be staying in;
  1. a rennovated hotel, or
  2. a building site?
Old Jul 13, 10, 12:21 am

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, SPG Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, ICG Platinum Royal Ambassador, Avis President's Club
Update

I recently travelled with my family through parts of Switzerland we found the Palace's rooms and views quite classically beautiful. The staff though friendly could use some additional training and professionalism. Would not hesitate to go back.
Old Apr 7, 11, 1:32 am

Programs: Accor Plat, SPG Gold, MR Silver, BA Gold, DL Silver, Amex Plat (IDC)
Hi everyone!

So, I stay "a lot" at Fairmont Le Montreux Palace from 2 months, I think it's a really amazing hotel! (for the area).

So, just a few little issues for this stay.

Was just a one night stay (guess why? ) to show my mom how cool Fairmont is!

The good surprise, is the welcome at the hotel, I just walk by the front door, and one guy told me "Hi Mr Matti, how are you today?" and run back to the check in desk to tell to the girl "This is Mr Matti". My mom was impress... and me too!

I book one Deluxe Lake View room with 2 beds! Unfortunately, I got one room with one king bed...

We wait 10 minutes in room the time they arrange a new room with 2 beds (unfortunately they dont have queen size bed, so we got 2 small bed (little princess size bed!).

Then, unfortunately, they forgot the 2 adidas Fairmont Fit kit.

After my small runing, I come back in room, mom still love it, so because it's her birthday the 28 april, and because the great rate, i book 2 nights end of april.

I got the confirmation email, and like allways, I send this email to Le Montreux Palace, and ask to get 2 beds, old style room, and because is birthday of mom at that day, want a small cake.

I was thinking no issue! BUT, at 9pm, they knock on door, with.... 2 cake and happy birthday card! (was really welcome) but 3 weeks in advance, and no mure surprise for mom!

And like a lot of time, I dont have my newspaper on the door this morning.

I know it's not biggie, but each time I have to ask them for newspaper etc etc.

But is still a good hotel for sure, and my choice for the area!
Old May 21, 11, 6:27 pm

Anyone ever use a Suite upgrade here? Or can suggest a room or suite type to stay in. I got a week to burn in Europe and am tempted to spend a few nights here. What is there to do in Montreux and area?

Thanks in advance
Old May 22, 11, 2:17 am

Originally Posted by kokinos View Post
Anyone ever use a Suite upgrade here? Or can suggest a room or suite type to stay in. I got a week to burn in Europe and am tempted to spend a few nights here. What is there to do in Montreux and area?
I used an upgrade voucher last summer and got a junior suite with balcony overlooking the lake.

As to what to do, a common feature of many Swiss hotels is that they offer you a card that gives you free travel on the local buses and trams and discounts at many tourist attractions. Be sure to ask for yours; it is called the 'Riviera Card'. One thing you can do with it is get half-price tickets for the hour-long journey on the rack railway to the Rochers de Naye summit. This I heartily recommend, but be sure to do it on a clear day with no low clouds. And be sure to take something warm to wear; it is much colder at up there than it is by the lakeside.
Old May 22, 11, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by SouthOxon View Post
I used an upgrade voucher last summer and got a junior suite with balcony overlooking the lake.

As to what to do, a common feature of many Swiss hotels is that they offer you a card that gives you free travel on the local buses and trams and discounts at many tourist attractions. Be sure to ask for yours; it is called the 'Riviera Card'. One thing you can do with it is get half-price tickets for the hour-long journey on the rack railway to the Rochers de Naye summit. This I heartily recommend, but be sure to do it on a clear day with no low clouds. And be sure to take something warm to wear; it is much colder at up there than it is by the lakeside.
SouthOxen thanks for taking the time to reply. The junior suite sounds excellent for my personal tastes since I love having a balcony while at a hotel and the lake view is what made me consider this hotel at first.

Thanks for the tips on the Riviera Card, I will be sure to check out Rochers de Naye.
Old May 24, 11, 11:41 am

So I'm booked into a Junior suite, BAR for those nights is about $1250 a night so once again I;m getting good value. Is there a certain Junior Suite to ask for? I know there are two buildings, should I go with the "Palace."

I also noticed on the site that I think I would prefer a Signature room since they are newly renovated and more contemporary. The junior suite is too banff springs or hotel vancouver style for me. I talked with FPC and they said I could use a room upgrade to one of those, should I go this route perhaps. BAR is about $950 for that room so this would be my best use of a "Room upgrade" ever.

Has anyone ever been to Lake Como? I will be there for a couple nights before Montreux. I'm hoping the vibe of these two places is different.
Old Feb 10, 12, 7:26 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Any tips on what to do in the area for a brief winter stay (in 2 weeks) i.e. Best mountain to see, tour, gondola...

Thanks
Old Feb 10, 12, 7:36 pm

Programs: AC*E50, SPG/Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz View Post
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (BlackBerry; U; BlackBerry 9700; en-US) AppleWebKit/534.8+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/6.0.0.666 Mobile Safari/534.8+)

Any tips on what to do in the area for a brief winter stay (in 2 weeks) i.e. Best mountain to see, tour, gondola...

Thanks
If you like skiing, you can go to "Les Alpes Vaudoises" (Bryere, Gryons, Les Diablerets...) or to the french-swiss ski area "Les portes du Soleil".
Otherwise, you have the "Rochet de Naye" close to Montreux. You can also try the town of Gruyeres and the small station "Le Moleson".
Old Feb 11, 12, 2:10 am

Originally Posted by yulhammeryyz View Post

Thanks
Plenty of things to do, but one tip on how to do them. It is very common in Switzerland for hotels to give their guests a card that gives free entry or discounts on local services and attractions. Montreux is no exception, and their card gives you free travel on the local buses as well as the lakeside trolleybus that that stops direcly outside the hotel - useful for visiting the Château de Chillon, which is well worth a visit. The card also gives half-price travel on the rack railway to Rochers-de-Naye; a montaintop viewpoint an hour from Montreux with an alpine rock garden and a slightly bizarre collection of marmots. You should be given your card on arrival, but if not ask for the 'Montreux Riviera Card'.
Old Feb 17, 12, 1:50 pm

Programs: AC E, *A G, Starwood Platinum, Fairmont Platinum, Porter Points

Today I checked in to the Montreux Palace for one night using the free night certificate as a stopover on our way to Davos. I wish we had planned to spend more time here, this is quite possibly the most beautiful town I've ever seen in my life. The hotel is quite nice and many rooms have been renovated and more are being renovated right now.

We were completely blown away by the service at this hotel

We were upgraded to a lakeview suite with breathtaking views of the lake and mountains. There is a small seating area on our balcony where we watched the sunset and enjoyed a fantastic tray of sweets which the hotel had presented us with

We were also given the opportunity to meet the hotel chef and learn to make our dinner (a local dish of salad and baked cheese) which was then served to us in the restaurant with the house wine from a local vineyard

The staff is extremely attentive and kind. This is best experience with a Fairmont we've ever encountered and I highly recommend it.

As a side point, we drove from Frankfurt (5 hours) and the drive was beautiful, as were the cars which passed us in excess of 200 km/h

Search this Thread