Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Banff Springs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 17, 2016, 9:56 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I guess you're hoping to use your free night certs?

It's really hard to predict: Availability for Fairmont rooms may open up 3-6 months in advance IME, or not at all if the tour operators manage to fill the rooms - which wouldn't surprise me at all given how crazy demand for the Rockies is. I've never seen availability this scarce and rates this high; rates for a Fairmont Lakeview room at LL currently are in the $800-$1000/night range (if there's availability at all) which is just insane IMO.
No kidding. Just for a comparison, I pulled up a booking I had at the CLL from the last week of June in 2012. Fairmont Lakeview Room booked for $314/night, and upgraded to the Jr. Suite Lakeview. What a difference a few years makes. I probably thought that was expensive at the time!
Old Sep 18, 2016, 12:51 am

Maybe it's better to book the last week of May - it is fully available. But I have concerns about the weather. Has anybody been there in the end of May?
Old Sep 18, 2016, 6:38 am

Originally Posted by groundhog
Maybe it's better to book the last week of May - it is fully available. But I have concerns about the weather. Has anybody been there in the end of May?
You could always book something flexible now, and change it if/when something better opens up.

The last week of May is when the summer season starts to open up. The road to Moraine Lake will get ploughed out around the May 24 holiday weekend and open to vehicles for the summer. Downhill skiing will just be finished at Sunshine Village. The valley bottoms will be feeling like spring, and temperatures can be in the mid-teens during the day (mountain weather is very variable, so you can expect many periods outside the norms).

Higher elevation places like Lake Louise will, of course, be colder. Lake Louise itself is normally ice covered until early June. The breakup happens between about May 25 and June 13, depending on the weather that year.

What you won't be able to do much of, is hiking. All trails at a Lake Louise elevation or higher will likely be completely snowbound. Those at lower elevations will probably be icy and/or muddy. If hiking is not something you plan to do, then May can still be good for a visit. The scenery is there all year long, and in May, the tops of the mountains have more impressive snow coverings than they do later in the summer season.

Whether or not May is a good time to visit, depends mostly on what you plan to do while there.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 8:34 am

Hi,
Trying to book Fairmont Banff, Lake Louise or Jasper (as the last choice) for 7/6-8 2017 but is not having any luck. Calling the customer service several times a week but not showing an availability at all. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Old Oct 11, 2016, 9:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Pek1
Hi,
Trying to book Fairmont Banff, Lake Louise or Jasper (as the last choice) for 7/6-8 2017 but is not having any luck. Calling the customer service several times a week but not showing an availability at all. Any suggestions is appreciated.
Are you referring to availability for the use of free night certs or availability in general? (because I'm seeing the latter)
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Are you referring to availability for the use of free night certs or availability in general? (because I'm seeing the latter)
Hi Jasper,
yes, I forgot to mention that I'm trying to book 2 nights using free certificates from credit card sign up. Any tips?

Thanks,
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by Pek1
Hi Jasper,
yes, I forgot to mention that I'm trying to book 2 nights using free certificates from credit card sign up. Any tips?

Thanks,
If you read through this thread (as well as the Lake Louise thread) you'll see that redeeming free night certs during peak season is very difficult.

Even getting a revenue booking is extremely tough since occupancy levels are at an all-time high (even making regular revenue bookings for clients has been a bit of a challenge for some dates next summer).

As far as using free night certs are concerned, your best bet is to probably check aailability for a Fairmont room on a regular basis since it's not impossible that some tour companies will release blocked space closer in (though I wouldn't expect that to happen more than 1-2 months in advance).
Old Oct 11, 2016, 12:53 pm

Thanks for the tip Jasper!
Old Oct 11, 2016, 1:38 pm

They may even be overbooked in the Fairmont room category. After making some recent reservation changes at BSH for summer 2017, I had released a 7-night booking for a Fairmont room there. Out of curiosity, I tried to make a new booking for some of those same dates, and the room didn't return to inventory for online booking.
Old Nov 10, 2016, 7:46 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
Just wanted to let everyone know, that the Willow Stream Spa at Banff Springs no longer accepts Wayspa gift certificates. This was always a nice deal, because you could buy them 25% off at Costco.

Willow Stream has now moved to Spafinder gift cards, however it is fairly easy to find 20% off through certain membership groups. I get mine as a member of Perkopolis.com. (free to join)
Old Jan 30, 2017, 2:18 pm

Stroller Accessible?

Dear Forum,

We will be visiting Fairmont Banff Springs in the summer with a baby (still in strollers).

1/ I wonder if anyone can comment on the properties accessibility? And any tips? I.e. are there any ramps/stairs/excessive elevator use for specific areas?
Are there specific wings of the property that's good/bad for a baby stroller?

2/ When I travel with a baby stroller, I some times ask for an Accessible room, because I know at least that room would be barrier free, and should have enough space to turn a stroller around inside, on the theory that a stroller is pretty much a wheel chair for the child, both in function and in size. (Some times I get the downside as well, such as no tubs... So it's a case by case basis.)

The booking agent on the phone (because the date is full, I had to call in to book) at BSH told me flat out: "No, accessible rooms are only for people in wheel chairs."

So, does anyone know if the agent is right or just picky? Are laws in Alberta different? I haven't heard that response from any the last 4-5 hotel bookings (when we went with the baby) elsewhere in USA before.
Old Jan 30, 2017, 3:45 pm

Originally Posted by 3dot14
Dear Forum,

We will be visiting Fairmont Banff Springs in the summer with a baby (still in strollers).

1/ I wonder if anyone can comment on the properties accessibility? And any tips? I.e. are there any ramps/stairs/excessive elevator use for specific areas?
Are there specific wings of the property that's good/bad for a baby stroller?
Yes, avoid the Stanley Thompson wing. The route to get there through the building is very convoluted. You walk up one set of stairs, cross a long hallway, down another set, etc, just to reach the elevators to the rooms in that wing.

The outdoor hotel grounds can also be a bit of a challenge, but then, the hotel is built above two river valleys on the side of a mountain, so the area isn't exactly level! The parking garage will certainly be an issue as well, so either use valet parking, or have one person retrieve the car and pick up the rest of the family at the main entrance.

Originally Posted by 3dot14
2/ When I travel with a baby stroller, I some times ask for an Accessible room, because I know at least that room would be barrier free, and should have enough space to turn a stroller around inside, on the theory that a stroller is pretty much a wheel chair for the child, both in function and in size. (Some times I get the downside as well, such as no tubs... So it's a case by case basis.)

The booking agent on the phone (because the date is full, I had to call in to book) at BSH told me flat out: "No, accessible rooms are only for people in wheel chairs."

So, does anyone know if the agent is right or just picky? Are laws in Alberta different? I haven't heard that response from any the last 4-5 hotel bookings (when we went with the baby) elsewhere in USA before.
Avoid the Junior Suites that have a sunken living room and the Turret Jr. Suites that are over two floors (and the very expensive Royal Suite!). The rest of the rooms will "mostly" be OK. However, it is a very old building with lots of strange shaped rooms here and there, which have been renovated many times over the years. Some of the suites will have a step up to reach the bathroom and/or the walk-in closet--that's more specific to the room, however, rather than the room category.

If no bathtub is a problem for you, then avoid the Gold floor. I believe all Gold rooms have only a glass shower where the old tub used to be.
Old Jan 31, 2017, 7:20 am
Original Member

Programs: AC SE 2MM, HH Dd, SPG; IC Pl/A; AA; DL
I like the Stanley Thompson wing and its suites. There are ramps internally and elevators and outside you can get from main building to the wing with no stairs.

The whole hotel is not particularly friendly for wheels but you can figure it out even if a bit convoluted. We were babysitting our granddaughter and had a stroller and enjoyed our stay in the Stanley Thompson wing suite. Outside was a bit more challenging on the grounds but we managed ok for 65+ year olds with an infant and stroller.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 5:22 am

Programs: Fairmont Platinum, amex gold
Can alcohol purchases be paid for with certs. at Banff

Some Fairmonts do not let you pay for alcohol with certificates(Ottawa for example), but does Banff. Is there a list that do and don't? Thanks.
Old Mar 8, 2017, 8:40 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I am not sure if you are talking the Platinum cert's, or gift cards, but either or, Banff lets you pay with both, for alcohol. Ive done it 10+ times.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.