Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Apr 13, 2014, 3:22 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by Barbella7
Looks like we are going to book an Ocean view room and then use a suite upgrade to get to the Executive Ocean View Suite. Has anyone had any luck getting into the Oceanfront Suite from Ocean View Suite?
we managed to do this a year or so ago. The latest seems to be, that it doesn't work any longer
Old Apr 13, 2014, 7:54 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by nmenaker
we managed to do this a year or so ago. The latest seems to be, that it doesn't work any longer
A Platinum Member must actually purchase an ocean front room and use a suite upgrade of up to 5 nights to be confirmed into an ocean front suite at time of reservation.
Old Apr 17, 2014, 9:57 pm

Programs: DL DM, AS MVP Gold 100K, HHonors Diamond, Hyatt Globalist
So we went ahead and booked the OV Suite and we're looking forward to it. I was offered to pay the difference between the POV rate that I'm paying (using room + suite to get OV Suite) and Deluxe OV rate per night to get to the Oceanfront Suite. I'm trying to determine if it is worth it. Is the view the only major difference between the two? It looks like it OF suite is 427 sq ft bigger, but I can't figure out where this space is located. Could anyone with experience explain the difference between the two?
Old Apr 18, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
I have only been in the OF suite. I have a booking coming up on the regular suite. I will speculate that the extra room is to the right of the main entrance door where there is a hallway with closets and a 2nd bathroom. It seems to be in addition to the two main rooms, which are also large. If the regular suite has a 2nd bathroom it could easily fit in the living room half of the suite (it was quite large), but that's just speculation,
Old Apr 18, 2014, 1:46 pm

Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
A Platinum Member must actually purchase an ocean front room and use a suite upgrade of up to 5 nights to be confirmed into an ocean front suite at time of reservation.
What I was commenting on was that a year ago we managed to actually do a suite upgrade AND A room upgrade which got us to OFS. It was actually offered upon check-in, since we were at the time only confirmed into a OV Exec Suite at the time. Apparently it was like a unicorn sighting.
Old Apr 21, 2014, 11:34 am

Programs: DL Diamond, SPG Gold. I share these affiliations so that you can ask me questions about the programs
Originally Posted by nmenaker
What I was commenting on was that a year ago we managed to actually do a suite upgrade AND A room upgrade which got us to OFS. It was actually offered upon check-in, since we were at the time only confirmed into a OV Exec Suite at the time. Apparently it was like a unicorn sighting.
I'm curious what rate Flyertalkers have been able to secure at this property.

And, do they offer same day upgrades at reduced prices?
Old Apr 21, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by Goodmorning2U

Well, this year is the highest it has been, but I've gotten OV (to allow upgrade to OV suite, not OF suite) for 300$, with a free 5th night and then using another free night cert.. a few years ago this was close to 220$.

comes to about 1800$ all in for six nights. No breakie. that would be about 50$ more a day. NWI in my opinion, what with a fridge and all in the suite.

W usually try and there before last week of June when rates DO rise for the summer.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 2:31 pm

Here is my current experience. I got the chase card recently and got my rewards. Here are all the rewards so far:

-Pres Club Perks
$50 Dining/Spa credit
3rd night free (have to pay for them, can't add to the free nights)
Complimentary Room Upgrade
Compliment Suite Upgrade

-Fairmont Visa Perks
Fairmont Visa $100 in Breakfast certs
2 Free nights

In Oct I am paying for one night, and booked 2 free nights at the Orchid. I called on the phone to use the certs and book the single night so they would all be on the same reservations.

They sent me a confirmation that I will be in a Executive Garden View Suite since I used the suite upgrade.

IN that email there was a "custom upgrade" link which I clicked on and they are offering to upgrade me to an executive ocean view suite for $18 a day, $54 total. I clicked on that and if available they will give it to me. I assume it's worth the upgrade to oceanview for $54 total....
Old Apr 24, 2014, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by cjchaps

IN that email there was a "custom upgrade" link which I clicked on and they are offering to upgrade me to an executive ocean view suite for $18 a day, $54 total. I clicked on that and if available they will give it to me. I assume it's worth the upgrade to oceanview for $54 total....
Totally worth it. Having a meal on the balcony with the ocean in the background is awesome.
Old Apr 24, 2014, 8:05 pm

Booked: Oceanfront room, 5th night free and daily breakfast for two. Used suite upgrade to get Oceanfront suite on the 3rd floor. Nightly rate $639 (x4 nights) = $750 including resort fee, taxes, etc.

The Oceanfront suite is absolutely spectacular and is as far toward the ocean as you can get. Large living room with corner couch, 42" tv, fridge, table, desk, private lanai. Large bedroom with 1K or 2Q, 42" tv, two large closets, dressing area, bathroom with 2 sinks, shower and toilet, private lanai. Front hall with large closet, smaller powder room.

Breakfast was decent, but not spectacular. Reasonable choices but seemed somewhat ordinary for a hotel of this calibre. The place was very crowded (97% occupancy) and they had opened up a smaller room next to the main buffet to accommodate everyone.

We had one dinner at the hotel's main restaurant (Brown's Beach House) which was also underwhelming. Again, the quality of the food did not correspond to the calibre of the hotel and to the asking price. You will definitely want a rental car to explore the island a bit and be able to eat at other places. There are a whole bunch to choose from within 15-30 minutes' drive.

One night the wind damaged the water heating system on the building's roof (?) so we had no hot water for 24 hours, but were told we could shower at the spa instead. They offered $100 compensation for the inconvenience.

Overall certainly a nice place to go for a few days, but there are a number of little details they need to work on.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 9:43 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
[QUOTE=okazon69;22757227]
You will definitely want a rental car to explore the island a bit and be able to eat at other places. There are a whole bunch to choose from within 15-30 minutes' drive.
QUOTE]

Another option is the resort shuttle also has convenient service to several restaurants in the area including Ruth's Chris, although it is good to have a car to explore the area.
Old Apr 25, 2014, 3:02 pm

Goodmorning2U sorry I missed your post. I won't make the hualalai do this June but expect to see me there this December. I've already spread some word to friends. My hualalai report is done but I haven't posted it yet so I'll let you know when it's live.

I'm actually at the delta skyclub lax right now about to head to Maui for a friends wedding too.

But back to the orchid, I usually pay about $170-$200 a night. This rate you won't get during spring break but I've enjoyed it just after and in early december. During the Big Island Film Festival you can book rooms here for $169 a night. It's no hualalai but still an excellent hotel in my books, I even just sent my friends to the Orchid for their honeymoon since the 4S was four times the price nightly.

PM or email me if you have any other questions pal
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:17 am

Programs: Aeroplan, BONVOY GOLD
If I book a partial ocean view and use the suite upgrade certificate, will I get upgraded all the way to the ocean view suite? If so, Is it ocean view suite worth it over the garden view suite (if I was to book garden view room instead to upgrade to suite)

Planning on booking 6 nights at the Orchid, using 5th night free plus one free night certificate. Do I book all six nights at the same time? Can I use the suite upgrade at the same time as the free night?

I'm new to the fairmont president club and will qualify early this year so I don't have my cert. yet... Do you apply them to your reservation online after you book or when you get to the hotel?

Last edited by coleworld; Apr 28, 2014 at 3:25 am
Old Apr 28, 2014, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by coleworld
Planning on booking 6 nights at the Orchid, using 5th night free plus one free night certificate. Do I book all six nights at the same time? Can I use the suite upgrade at the same time as the free night?

I'm new to the fairmont president club and will qualify early this year so I don't have my cert. yet... Do you apply them to your reservation online after you book or when you get to the hotel?
You can book the 6 nights online and then call FPC to have the free night cert applied for the 6th night. Yes, suite upgrade certs and free night certs can be used during the same stay. Note, however, that the suite upgrade cert is only valid for a max. of 5 nights.

You need to apply the upgrade certs before arrival, the sooner the better since availability is limited. You can either call FPC or contact the hotel directly (IŽd recommend the latter in your case).
Old Apr 28, 2014, 7:15 am

Programs: AA, B6, UA, HH, WoH
[QUOTE=coleworld;22772468]If I book a partial ocean view and use the suite upgrade certificate, will I get upgraded all the way to the ocean view suite? If so, Is it ocean view suite worth it over the garden view suite (if I was to book garden view room instead to upgrade to suite)

No, at least in my experience at Orchid this February, you can upgrade from Garden View Room to Garden View Suite, and you can upgrade from Ocean View Room to Ocean View Suite, but there is no upgrade path from Partial Ocean View Room as there is no Partial Ocean View Suite category to upgrade to. That is the "policy" as related by Hotel Desk, but as others have said, call the Hotel, you may get lucky.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.