Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Feb 9, 2019, 12:02 pm

Programs: AC SE
I'd stayed at the property recently, and had stayed last year as well prior to the Accor transition. Used Suite upgrade to a Garden View suite, and the room was very well appointed, spacious, and the bed was fantastic. Overall the staff were still quite friendly, and a number of familiar faces from last year's visit that continued to provide great service. But overall, the hotel has taken a downward turn. A few of the negatives:
  • No Platinum welcome amenity provided, even though it's still listed as a standard Accor Platinum benefit. When I'd asked the front desk why I hadn't received a Platinum welcome amenity, they said the welcome drinks had replaced the Platinum amenity, even though they're specifically listed as separate benefits. When questioned further, they said the Platinum amenity is hotel specific and the hotel doesn't provide them any more (although sounds like some others continue to receive them).
  • Welcome drinks said they're good for beer, wine, or cocktail, but staff said they're not eligible for cocktails (not even a Mai Tai, which is pretty much the standard drink there)
  • Getting a late checkout (e.g. 4 PM) was like pulling teeth. Asked at check-in, and said they'd see what they could do and get back to me. Asked again next day, and they said ask on day of check-out. Asked on morning of check-out, and they wanted $150 or half the room rate for a late checkout that would typically be offered as a Platinum benefit. Eventually was able to get a 4 PM checkout, but it was a major hassle.
  • Happy hour options in Luana Lounge have gone downhill, and aren't really much of a happy hour any more
Overall the property is great and many of the staff are still the same friendly Fairmont staff, but it's definitely become less customer friendly under Accor. Unfortunate to see.
Old Feb 9, 2019, 4:44 pm

Programs: AC SE100K MM, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Accor Diamond, National Emerald Club Exec Elite
Originally Posted by gcashin
I'd stayed at the property recently, and had stayed last year as well prior to the Accor transition. Used Suite upgrade to a Garden View suite, and the room was very well appointed, spacious, and the bed was fantastic. Overall the staff were still quite friendly, and a number of familiar faces from last year's visit that continued to provide great service. But overall, the hotel has taken a downward turn. A few of the negatives:
  • No Platinum welcome amenity provided, even though it's still listed as a standard Accor Platinum benefit. When I'd asked the front desk why I hadn't received a Platinum welcome amenity, they said the welcome drinks had replaced the Platinum amenity, even though they're specifically listed as separate benefits. When questioned further, they said the Platinum amenity is hotel specific and the hotel doesn't provide them any more (although sounds like some others continue to receive them).
  • Welcome drinks said they're good for beer, wine, or cocktail, but staff said they're not eligible for cocktails (not even a Mai Tai, which is pretty much the standard drink there)
  • Getting a late checkout (e.g. 4 PM) was like pulling teeth. Asked at check-in, and said they'd see what they could do and get back to me. Asked again next day, and they said ask on day of check-out. Asked on morning of check-out, and they wanted $150 or half the room rate for a late checkout that would typically be offered as a Platinum benefit. Eventually was able to get a 4 PM checkout, but it was a major hassle.
  • Happy hour options in Luana Lounge have gone downhill, and aren't really much of a happy hour any more
Overall the property is great and many of the staff are still the same friendly Fairmont staff, but it's definitely become less customer friendly under Accor. Unfortunate to see.
Just a month ago, as I mentioned, I received a nice Platinum amenity in the room and that was on a 1am checkin. I had no trouble using our drink coupons at the pool for mai tai’s. Perhaps you just had the wrong server for the drinks. Hope they haven’t changed their policy on both those issues in the past month.
Old Feb 22, 2019, 1:23 pm

Originally Posted by theadams
Hi all. I want to book the Orchid using the current promo code PPRB to get 30% savings plus breakfast. I would then like to use a room upgrade certificate and a suite upgrade certificate to get the best room possible. Do I book the promo code online with the most basic room then contact the hotel directly to do the upgrade? Or can I book the promo code reservation directly with the hotel?

Also, any chance that if I book a 7 night stay, I'll get to use the suite upgrade for all 7 nights even though they are supposed to be only for 5 nights?
what ended up happening? did you get the 7 night stay?
we were given 7 nights from our 5 night certificate at Fairmont Wash DC but it was slow season for them when we stayed.
Old Jan 21, 2021, 5:43 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
February Stay

Considering the Orchid for a February stay though a Costco package ($2600 for 6 nights including RT airfare from HNL and car, and resort fees included). Breakfast not included.

Called the hotel. Only 2 restaurants open - the steak house and pool bar. No breakfast buffet, only ala carte.

Gym open, but must make a reservation.
Old Jan 22, 2021, 8:18 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by ordogg
Considering the Orchid for a February stay though a Costco package ($2600 for 6 nights including RT airfare from HNL and car, and resort fees included). Breakfast not included.

Called the hotel. Only 2 restaurants open - the steak house and pool bar. No breakfast buffet, only ala carte.

Gym open, but must make a reservation.
Is the SPA open? they have all those great outdoor spa treatment rooms (for massage mostly) where I could image it being outdoors, wearing masks, etc..
Old Jan 23, 2021, 12:28 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Seems like the SPA is open, but obviously with reduced capacity and extra precautions:
https://www.fairmontorchid.com/all-safe/

I could use a massage in an oceanfront cabana about now!!
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:04 pm

Any recent stays here? Believe they have been operating with just the North tower/wing open; planning to open the gold lounge this coming week but wondering if there are any more recent updates...
Old Mar 7, 2021, 6:36 pm

Programs: UA MM, Premier Plat, Costco EM
Originally Posted by zs58
Any recent stays here? Believe they have been operating with just the North tower/wing open; planning to open the gold lounge this coming week but wondering if there are any more recent updates...
we were here 6-13 feb. only north tower only, very empty but picked up at end of stay. Everyone was very nice and very vigilant about wearing masks. Delightful stay.
zs58 likes this.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:06 am

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Had a very disappointing 3 night stay at the Fairmont Orchid last week. I had high hopes since the property looked very nice. Aside from the man-made beach, everything else was disappointing. Staff was nice, but not genuine. It's like the hotel management has cut corners everywhere, and it shows. From staff shortages, outlet closures, to lack of amenities, people just didn't seem happy working at this hotel. Gorgeous property, just too bad it's not taken care of. At almost $1,000/night after taxes & resort fees, I expect a lot more.

When I wrote an email to voice my concerns, all I got was a canned answer. "Sorry to hear about your disappointment about your recent stay. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future". Not even a name for me to contact if I wanted to return to the Fairmont Orchid. No thanks....
Old Apr 20, 2021, 10:03 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by fishy21
Had a very disappointing 3 night stay at the Fairmont Orchid last week. I had high hopes since the property looked very nice. Aside from the man-made beach, everything else was disappointing. Staff was nice, but not genuine. It's like the hotel management has cut corners everywhere, and it shows. From staff shortages, outlet closures, to lack of amenities, people just didn't seem happy working at this hotel. Gorgeous property, just too bad it's not taken care of. At almost $1,000/night after taxes & resort fees, I expect a lot more.

When I wrote an email to voice my concerns, all I got was a canned answer. "Sorry to hear about your disappointment about your recent stay. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future". Not even a name for me to contact if I wanted to return to the Fairmont Orchid. No thanks....
Wow, $1000 a night what did you book?
Old Apr 20, 2021, 12:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by nmenaker
Wow, $1000 a night what did you book?
Demand for accommodation in Hawaii is crazy at the moment, so you're looking at $600-$800++/night for an entry-level room.

If the OP was lucky, $1000 incl. taxes may've gotten him an Oceanview room, but nothing extravagant.
Old Apr 20, 2021, 1:57 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, Hyatt GP Platinum
Originally Posted by Jasper2009
Demand for accommodation in Hawaii is crazy at the moment, so you're looking at $600-$800++/night for an entry-level room.

If the OP was lucky, $1000 incl. taxes may've gotten him an Oceanview room, but nothing extravagant.
Yup... this. After taxes, resort fees, it was close to $1,000/night for an Oceanview room.

Demand is high, and hotels are running at nearly full occupancy. So it's justified to increase prices... but service has been cut, so yes, very disappointed.
Old Apr 21, 2021, 7:17 am

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Unfortunate that services have been cut. How busy was the hotel? Were both the south and north buildings full?
Old May 5, 2021, 9:08 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
I have a four night stay coming up booked through Costco travel. $1900 all in (including resort fee) for the room and transfers to/from the airport (which I won’t use since I have a car, part of a longer stay).

Sorry to hear about it going downhill, I was wowed by the Kea Lani a few years ago.

As I’ll be already there for 9 days, I was thinking I’d be spending most of the time at the resort. Since they are selling gift cards with a 20% bonus this afternoon, I wonder what a daily cost for lunch and dinner would be (excluding alcohol), including a couple of dinners at their high end restaurant. (We aren’t breakfast people, coffee and a yogurt with fruit is plenty).

seems like dinner would run about $250 for two at Browns (app and entree and sparkling water), lunch maybe $50? Sound about right?
Thanks in advance.
Old May 5, 2021, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by beachfan
I have a four night stay coming up booked through Costco travel. $1900 all in (including resort fee) for the room and transfers to/from the airport (which I won’t use since I have a car, part of a longer stay).

Sorry to hear about it going downhill, I was wowed by the Kea Lani a few years ago.

As I’ll be already there for 9 days, I was thinking I’d be spending most of the time at the resort. Since they are selling gift cards with a 20% bonus this afternoon, I wonder what a daily cost for lunch and dinner would be (excluding alcohol), including a couple of dinners at their high end restaurant. (We aren’t breakfast people, coffee and a yogurt with fruit is plenty).

seems like dinner would run about $250 for two at Browns (app and entree and sparkling water), lunch maybe $50? Sound about right?
Thanks in advance.
Most of the menus are published on the Fairmont website.

$250 for dinner incl. tax/tip excl. alcohol should be more than sufficient.

$50 for lunch for two is rather ambitious unless you order the absolutely cheapest option. $60-$80 incl. tax/tip would be more realistic.

As a cheaper alternative, Brown's Deli would be a good choice (offering sandwiches, salads, pastries etc.)

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.