The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Old Jul 19, 17, 8:47 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum, Fairmont Platinum
Originally Posted by DirigoB View Post
Is breakfast included when you upgrade to a suite? This was the case at the Fairmont Singapore when I used my SO's 2 free night certs + suite upgrade because we then had Lounge access.
Nope. Afaik the Fairmont SIN is the only property where this is the case (and only because all guests staying in a suite get access to the lounge).
Old Jul 19, 17, 12:54 pm

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by DirigoB View Post
Is breakfast included when you upgrade to a suite? This was the case at the Fairmont Singapore when I used my SO's 2 free night certs + suite upgrade because we then had Lounge access.

yeah, no.. sadly there isn't any option where just having a suite gets one free breakfast.. I would imagine that in SIN the suites are maybe on a club floor only? Then I could see one getting access to the lounge for breakfast.

what I HAVE done at the Orchid is but a fairmont room in the category necessary to upgrade to the suite category I want and select the option that includes breakfast with THAT room category, and it will stick when you are upgraded to a suite. YMMV for pricing and such, the last time I did this was two years ago and the breakfast rate with a fifth night free ended up only 30$ more a night - so it was a no brainer.
Old Jul 19, 17, 9:42 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Silver, Aeroplan peasant
If you book a gold room or suite, then you can have breakfast in the gold lounge.
Old Aug 13, 17, 8:58 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Platinum, AMEX FHR
Hi everyone! Long time lurker, first time poster!

I am looking to book a trip for the last week of August and I am hesitating between the Fairmont Orchid and the Fairmont Mayakoba.
Anyone been to both who could help me?

- The flight and the room would cost more for the Orchid
- Both destinations seem to have interesting sights, but I would be able to surf in Hawaii and it doesn't seem possible in Mayakoba
- Never been in Hawaii, never been to Mayakoba but been twice in Punta Mita
- The Mayakoba seem to be a better hotel (service + hard product) than the Orchid and seem to be a bit similar to the St Regis Punta Mita (?)
- Would be traveling by myself, if there's one destination that is better to mingle..
- Weather wise, is one destination safer to avoid rain?
- I haven't used my FPC certificates yet this year (Platinum) so, if the use of those certificates can be optimized at one property vs the other one...
- Anyone been able to upgrade to the rooms/suites that have butler service at the Mayakoba?
- Basically, I am looking to travel in a Fairmont Hotel for a week, to use my certificates and requalify as Platinum for next year (hoping that Accord won't change anything about the program) I am also open to other suggestions/destinations

Thanks in advance for your input
Old Aug 13, 17, 10:17 pm

I can't speak to the Mayakoba but if I recall correctly the Fairmont Orchid may be a half hour drive or longer from good surfing on the Big Island.
Also, Hawaii in general is a couples/family destination and you won't find many singles at a Big Island resort hotel.
That said, the part of the Big Island where the Orchid is located is reliably dry most of the year.
Old Aug 14, 17, 5:41 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold, Hilton Honors Gold, Accor Platinum, AMEX FHR
Thanks for your input LAXGUY!
Old Oct 15, 17, 11:52 am

Programs: Delta Gold, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, UA Gold (status match)
We booked a stay using the visa hotel luxury website next month. (amex FHR shows no availability for our dates). The website shows that a continental breakfast is included. Do they extend the full buffet or do they limit you?
Old Oct 15, 17, 5:03 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Silver, Aeroplan peasant
It's all in the same area of the Orchid Court restaurant, you might want to check directly with the hotel, but I see no reason why you couldn't pay the extra $5 to take advantage of the full buffet. It's a very nice breakfast to start the day.
http://www.fairmont.com/orchid-hawai...g/orchidcourt/

If you haven't already, sign up for the Fairmont President's club.
Old Nov 2, 17, 9:24 pm

So we just checked in, having booked through Visa luxury signature. We usually book through amex FHR but the hotel blocked off bookings. Very unsatisfactory so far. None of the visa benefits were proactively offered. I had to ask about late checkout and upgrades. We were told the hotel is fairly full and they potentially could offer us a noon checkout at latest. At most they can offer us 45 minutes in a hospitality room to shower but we had to ask - it wasn’t offered. FWIW our room category is shown as available past our stay. When we asked, we were told an upgrade was available but the room wasn’t clean. So I guess they’re just not planning on upgrading people here. We just came from the Four Seasons earlier in our stay (quick overnight at the Volcano in between) having booked through Amex and the difference is night and day.

The only nice nice thing is that the breakfast includes the full buffet, and our room is fine.
Old Nov 5, 17, 5:31 pm

Programs: DL Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
@floridagal23, I'm really surprised by this. on 5-6 visits - with one exception on our first visit like 6 years ago - we've had wonderful service from everyone at the Orchid. The front desk has always given us options for late checkouts (once we did have to do the hospitality room because they were fully booked and needed our room by 1pm) but they've always been super gracious and helpful.

Oh, on the first trip (since I mentioned the exception), we didn't like our room (it was 3rd floor but really ground floor and I despise anything ground floor) and they hooked us up with a much better room with OV on the 4th floor when we complained. Really great service there.
Old Nov 10, 17, 5:17 am

Update: the morning of checkout they gave us a 1pm checkout. No mention or offer of a hospitality room. And the resort fee of $30/day includes a huge bottle of water per the sign in the room per day and housekeeping never replenished it.

the breakfast staff at orchid court were beyond lovely - no gratuity accepted per visa terms that include breakfast and they always gave me to go cups with ice for my coffee.
Old Nov 29, 17, 2:07 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: UA-1P AB-Gold SPG-Plat Hilton-DIA Hyatt-DIA PC-Gold MR-Plat Hertz-PC
Does anyone know if there is a laundromat near this hotel? My GF and me will be there for a conference for 10 days. So we'll need to do laundry somehow.
Old Nov 30, 17, 8:44 am

Originally Posted by thomas199023 View Post
Does anyone know if there is a laundromat near this hotel? My GF and me will be there for a conference for 10 days. So we'll need to do laundry somehow.
Sounds like a question for their concierge! If it was me, I'd go clothes shopping while on the island, and get a cheap duffle bag at walmart for all the extra stuff you're returning with. Pretty good selection in the shops on Ali'i drive in Kailua Kona.
Old Nov 30, 17, 11:47 am

Programs: UA 1MM 0P, AA, DL, *wood, Lifetime FPC Plat., IHG, HHD
Originally Posted by thomas199023 View Post
several years ago (2-3) there used to be a wash and fold up in the waimea village up country about 10 miles. Not sure if it is still there. It wasn't TOO cheap, 15$ for a bunch of undergarments and 2-3$ a shirt (polos, etc). and pants were like 5$. But, I would just recommend to take and pay for an extra suitcase and just bring enough of what you need and put all the dirty stuff in that extra bag on the way home. Much easier.
Old Feb 21, 18, 7:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM
Any recent reports for this hotel, specifically related to room upgrades and benefits from anyone who has booked it via Amex Plat FHR path? Contemplating this one for a fall getaway, since they are offering 4th night free via Amex Travel.

Search this Thread