Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Orchid, Hawaii

Search this Thread

Old Aug 10, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Plat, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriot Gold
Originally Posted by LarkSFO
[email protected] - Mention that you would like to contact the concierge with your questions.

http://www.fairmont.com/orchid-hawai...ination-guide/

PDF Warning! List of Day Trips: http://www.fairmont.com/orchid-hawai...es-march-2016/
Thanks for the links. I have no shortage of things to do but I will have to ask if they offer tours meaning that I can just pay and they pick me up or take me as I wont have a car the last day. Theres a few things in the area I'd have time to explore and do but I would need a means of getting there.

Uber wouldnt happen to be in hawaii would they! lol

ETA: It seems the hotel offers a petroglyph hike on saturdays, i will look into that.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:37 am

In my experience, Uber is just about everywhere they are not prohibited from operating, and, last I heard, they are prohibitied on BI.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 12:08 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by miadukes
Does anyone know if they offer tours right out of the hotel? Since I am there on business I can't really preplan for the last day but I am pretty sure it will be free for us and my flight doesnt leave till 10pm so was hoping to take advantage and do one last thing if possible.
A word of caution....plan to arrive at Kona airport at 8:00 pm. The lineups to get through security at that time of day can get pretty long. We arrived at 9:00 pm for a 10:00 flight, and would have missed it had it not been for some kind people to let us in at the front of the ridiculously long line!

I'm sure the concierge can make arrangements for an excursion for your last day. BTW, there is a regular shuttle bus that goes between the hotels to take you to the local shopping plazas and restaurants.
Old Aug 11, 2016, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by frankhi
In my experience, Uber is just about everywhere they are not prohibited from operating, and, last I heard, they are prohibitied on BI.
Thanks, thats what i needed to know, and I refuse to pay for a taxi lol if they even have them lol I will figrue it out

Originally Posted by Arthurrs
A word of caution....plan to arrive at Kona airport at 8:00 pm. The lineups to get through security at that time of day can get pretty long. We arrived at 9:00 pm for a 10:00 flight, and would have missed it had it not been for some kind people to let us in at the front of the ridiculously long line!

I'm sure the concierge can make arrangements for an excursion for your last day. BTW, there is a regular shuttle bus that goes between the hotels to take you to the local shopping plazas and restaurants.
Thanks for the tips on the lines. I will make sure to not it, my flight is actaully at 10:50 but I would want to arrive early. Question, it looks liek a very open and outisde airport , are there things to eat and placees where I could buy snacks to bring aboard in there. Sorry I know its a silly question but the pics I saw online looks like a cabin! lol
Old Aug 11, 2016, 6:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Question, it looks liek a very open and outisde airport , are there things to eat and placees where I could buy snacks to bring aboard in there. Sorry I know its a silly question but the pics I saw online looks like a cabin! lol
I only remember some rather basic gift shops and newsstands after security which sold the usual packaged snacks (chips, chocolates etc.)

According to the airport website there are a few dining options, though I believe most are landside (i.e. there are few/no options once you go through security).
Old Aug 11, 2016, 8:42 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
Thanks for the tips on the lines. I will make sure to not it, my flight is actaully at 10:50 but I would want to arrive early. Question, it looks liek a very open and outisde airport , are there things to eat and placees where I could buy snacks to bring aboard in there. Sorry I know its a silly question but the pics I saw online looks like a cabin! lol
It's a humble little airport, the gate holding rooms are outdoors with plenty of benches, and some overhead cover in some parts. The gate PA is a speaker on a stick!! The gate agent literally opens a gate and you walk out on the tarmac to your airplane! There's a gift shop/shack post-security that you can buy some packaged snacks and souvenirs. Some find the airport "ambience" charming! When you arrive it certainly sets the mood that you're on a tropical island and away from the hustle and bustle of mainland craziness (once you get your bags)! When you leave, the lineups for checkin and screening are a rude awakening that life is about to get back to normal again!!

You will probably want to buy a sandwich before getting to the airport if you think you'll be hungry on a red eye flight home. Personally I'd rather save room for good breakfast when connecting on the mainland the next morning.
Old Aug 12, 2016, 6:36 am

Originally Posted by Jasper2009
I only remember some rather basic gift shops and newsstands after security which sold the usual packaged snacks (chips, chocolates etc.)

According to the airport website there are a few dining options, though I believe most are landside (i.e. there are few/no options once you go through security).
Originally Posted by Arthurrs
It's a humble little airport, the gate holding rooms are outdoors with plenty of benches, and some overhead cover in some parts. The gate PA is a speaker on a stick!! The gate agent literally opens a gate and you walk out on the tarmac to your airplane! There's a gift shop/shack post-security that you can buy some packaged snacks and souvenirs. Some find the airport "ambience" charming! When you arrive it certainly sets the mood that you're on a tropical island and away from the hustle and bustle of mainland craziness (once you get your bags)! When you leave, the lineups for checkin and screening are a rude awakening that life is about to get back to normal again!!

You will probably want to buy a sandwich before getting to the airport if you think you'll be hungry on a red eye flight home. Personally I'd rather save room for good breakfast when connecting on the mainland the next morning.
Thanks for the info! That's good to know as I always like to have something with me, I only have an hour when connecting so don't want to risk not having anything. I will make sure ot pick something up before I get there.

So wait so you walk on the tarmac and then what go down those car stairs they set up?? That will be really kool!!! But not with a very heave carry on, let the adventure begin. Sounds like a neat airport to visit.
Old Aug 15, 2016, 9:52 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
the airport is charming but there is pretty much no food/bev there. it is very basic - i bought a bottle of water from a teeny tiny sundries shop and there's that "cafeteria" place in one corner. (has anyone actually eaten there?) also, no fresh food (veg/fruit) can leave the island... remember that. (got in trouble for having a few mini cucumbers from the farmers market in my bag - I'm like, can I just eat them right here???)

trip #5 in October, can't wait to be back!

and yes, you walk right out on the tarmac and up the steps to the jet
Old Aug 16, 2016, 12:00 pm

Originally Posted by curl
the airport is charming but there is pretty much no food/bev there. it is very basic - i bought a bottle of water from a teeny tiny sundries shop and there's that "cafeteria" place in one corner. (has anyone actually eaten there?) also, no fresh food (veg/fruit) can leave the island... remember that. (got in trouble for having a few mini cucumbers from the farmers market in my bag - I'm like, can I just eat them right here???)

trip #5 in October, can't wait to be back!

and yes, you walk right out on the tarmac and up the steps to the jet
I don't think I have done that since I was like 5/6 so pretty cool and thanks for the info ont he food and bev situation. I will make sure to plan to have something with me (food wise) before I get to airport.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 4:50 pm

Programs: AA Exec Plat, HHonors Diamond, Marriott Gold
It appears that the pool rehab has started at the Orchid.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
I don't think I have done that since I was like 5/6 so pretty cool....
Lucky you. It's actually still common to walk up the stairs to the plane at many airports around the world incl. FRA, LHR, JNB and BKK, though usually after a lengthy bus ride from the gate to the plane.

Always fun boarding a full 777 with 400 fellow pax from a remote stand.
Old Aug 16, 2016, 5:39 pm

Programs: DL Plat, Marriott Gold, Hilton Gold
Is anyone visiting the Orchid during the pool rehab time? We asked the staff about what was happening - sounds like the pool is not getting bigger but getting updated/modernized with new tile, etc.

I am really hoping for more umbrellas or shade (that you don't pay extra for) and better chairs. Will give my review later this fall!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:49 pm

Has anyone had any recent experiences doing a double (or triple) upgrade into an oceanfront suite? I heard it's no longer allowed.

I'm currently booked with a partial view room and used a room upgrade and suite upgrade to book into an oceanview suite.

Partial Ocean View Room -> Oceanview Room (Room upgrade)
Oceanview Room -> Oceanview Suite (Suite upgrade)

Would it be possible to upgrade to an oceanfront suite if I have an extra room upgrade? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
Old Sep 3, 2016, 2:59 pm

Originally Posted by jglenn16
Has anyone had any recent experiences doing a double (or triple) upgrade into an oceanfront suite? I heard it's no longer allowed.

I'm currently booked with a partial view room and used a room upgrade and suite upgrade to book into an oceanview suite.

Partial Ocean View Room -> Oceanview Room (Room upgrade)
Oceanview Room -> Oceanview Suite (Suite upgrade)

Would it be possible to upgrade to an oceanfront suite if I have an extra room upgrade? Any insight would be appreciated!

Thanks!
This is the only property I know of that even permits using two upgrade certifcates on one stay (Have to call into the hotel to get this) so I highly doubt you can use a 3rd. However if you book ocean view room you may be able to get into the oceanfront suite if you use your strategy above.
Old Sep 3, 2016, 3:03 pm

Question, it looks liek a very open and outisde airport , are there things to eat and placees where I could buy snacks to bring aboard in there. Sorry I know its a silly question but the pics I saw online looks like a cabin! lol
The airport has a small convenience store airside. It also has a small touristy trinket store airside. Lastly is has a small cafeteria style resto which has a few food options and alcohol too. the small cafeteria is the only part of the airside terminal with air conditioning from my memory.

If you don't want to hit the cafeteria and want some food of substance I recommend stopping at Island foods near the Orchid mall and grabbing some goodies there. They have poke and plenty of other too good food options. I don't think it would be worth it to drive past KOA airport into Kona and back just to pick up food imho.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.