Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Fairmont Château Laurier

Search this Thread

Old Mar 23, 2018, 6:02 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by fin 645
Evidently the Chateaux Laurier parking garage closed Jan 4 (presumably to make way for their hotel expansion). In the meantime, they have valet parking ($45/night) but with a request for 30 mins notice to retrieve a car. They offer suggestions for self parking, but none are particularly convenient and likely do not offer in/out privileges.

Has anyone had experience with this new situation?
Yes. I stopped in there for a night on my way to Fairmont Tremblant in January. The parking garage is indeed closed, condemned actually, and is being demolished. It will be rebuilt later this year. I hope the new one has more clearance than the old one. I actually had to remove the antenna from my roof to use the old garage (and be careful opening the tailgate so it doesn't swing into the concrete above), and my vehicle isn't overly huge.

They have rented space at an indigo public parking garage a little ways away (at least, the guys who were running to get the car were wearing indigo vests). The parking valets have to basically run over to the offsite garage to retrieve your car, which is why they ask for more time. They did take about 30 minutes to retrieve my car when we were leaving in the morning.

Edited to add links to a couple of news articles on the plans:
Château Laurier applies to demolish most of its deteriorating parking garage | Ottawa Citizen
'Deteriorated' Château Laurier parking garage closed over safety concerns - Ottawa - CBC News

Last edited by CanadaDH; Mar 23, 2018 at 6:14 pm Reason: Add news article links about the reno
Old Apr 3, 2018, 9:04 pm

Originally Posted by fin 645
Evidently the Chateaux Laurier parking garage closed Jan 4 (presumably to make way for their hotel expansion). In the meantime, they have valet parking ($45/night) but with a request for 30 mins notice to retrieve a car. They offer suggestions for self parking, but none are particularly convenient and likely do not offer in/out privileges.

Has anyone had experience with this new situation?
Not sure if this is too late for you but hope it helps someone.

We parked at 700 Sussex, which is an underground garage literally across the street from the hotel. It's $31 per 24 hours, and pay and display so you can come and go as you please. No gates or anything. The downside is that you can only pay for 24 hours at a time so need to go back for a new ticket every day, but it's much faster to access than a 30 minute wait for valets.
Old Apr 4, 2018, 12:19 pm

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by TripleQ

We parked at 700 Sussex, which is an underground garage literally across the street from the hotel. It's $31 per 24 hours, and pay and display so you can come and go as you please. No gates or anything. The downside is that you can only pay for 24 hours at a time so need to go back for a new ticket every day, but it's much faster to access than a 30 minute wait for valets.
I stayed there last week. I asked about the alternatives and was told that 700 Sussex is often full. The National Arts Centre is another alternative. It is close and I believe it doesn't get a lot of use unless a show is on. I was visiting my daughter and opted to leave my car at her house a couple of miles away. Plenty of $$$ to spend on Uber if need be, but we either walked around downtown or had my daughter pick us up. I realize this option isn't available for everyone!
Old Apr 6, 2018, 8:37 am

Programs: *G
Originally Posted by TripleQ

Useful to know that you can come and go from the 700 Sussex parking. In the end, we chose to park at the municipal garage in the Byward Market since we were out in the car most of the day. I did suggest to the hotel that the website could be more informative about the options - they provide links but it's up to you to figure out what each one entails. The hotel does not mention the National Arts Centre, but from my past experiences there, it's easy to park and find your way out, but almost impossible to get back in since most exits do not allow pedestrian re-entry.
Old May 31, 2018, 5:17 pm

Programs: Westjet Platinum, Fairmont Platinum RIP, Accor Gold, Marriott Lifetime Silver, HH Diamond
New version of the planned addition:
New Ch teau Laurier design includes more limestone, in hopes to win over critics National Post

"The owner of the Chateau Laurier has filed a new design for its proposed addition, attempting to make the contemporary wing complement, not overwhelm, the historic hotel.A heritage brief submitted with the package at city hall this week says “limestone fins” on the north-facing side, fronting Major’s Hill Park, will break up the height of the building, which is proposed to be one storey shorter than the previous iteration. The addition is now proposed to be seven storeys."
Old May 31, 2018, 7:55 pm

Well, I'll admit the new design is better than the previous, but it's still pretty freekin' ugly. I wouldn't say it compliments the original building at all. Maybe if they just reduce the addition by 7 more stories, I'll start to like it.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 5:48 am

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
#SaveTheChateauLaurier

Efforts to Save the Chateau Laurier are coalescing on July 20 with a picnic on the back lawn @ 6:30 pm : #SaveTheChateauLaurier . I expect a big turnout i.e. arrive early!
When the original brutalist design was 1st announced, I contacted Fairmont to intervene - citing the devastating parallel with the Hotel MacDonald in Edmonton. All to no avail.
Seems the property is owned by a private equity firm (Larco) which is oblivious to public pressure.
Ottawa City Council "approved" the redevelopment this month. (The lowest point in their history when it comes to historical preservation, led by a weak Mayor Jim Watson who now admits"mistakes".) Efforts to save the iconic views are now focussed on a coalition led by Maureen McTeer, Penny Collenette & Tom Green.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:46 am

Originally Posted by Antonio8069
Efforts to Save the Chateau Laurier are coalescing on July 20 with a picnic on the back lawn @ 6:30 pm : #SaveTheChateauLaurier . I expect a big turnout i.e. arrive early!
When the original brutalist design was 1st announced, I contacted Fairmont to intervene - citing the devastating parallel with the Hotel MacDonald in Edmonton. All to no avail.
Seems the property is owned by a private equity firm (Larco) which is oblivious to public pressure.
Ottawa City Council "approved" the redevelopment this month. (The lowest point in their history when it comes to historical preservation, led by a weak Mayor Jim Watson who now admits"mistakes".) Efforts to save the iconic views are now focussed on a coalition led by Maureen McTeer, Penny Collenette & Tom Green.
You want supporters to show up for an event that happened 5 days ago? Unfortunately, my time travel machine is in for service.

Hope it went well. That addition looks like a giant radiator.
Old Jul 25, 2019, 7:44 pm

Programs: Star Alliance G*, Marriott Bonvoy Titanium,
July 27

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
You want supporters to show up for an event that happened 5 days ago? Unfortunately, my time travel machine is in for service.

Hope it went well. That addition looks like a giant radiator.
Thanks CanadaDH, for noting my mistake.
For those of you who genuinely wish to attend, see you on July 27:
https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...ateau-laurier/
ps Hope to see you there, CanadaDH?
Old Jul 25, 2019, 8:44 pm

Thanks CanadaDH, for noting my mistake.
For those of you who genuinely wish to attend, see you on July 27:
https://www.macleans.ca/politics/ott...ateau-laurier/
ps Hope to see you there, CanadaDH?
I love Ottawa in the summer (it's the best time to visit because the odds of bumping into Trudeau or one of his idiot Lib MPs is greatly reduced), but I've got theatre tickets for a show in Toronto this Saturday.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Jul 25, 2019 at 8:51 pm
Old Jul 25, 2019, 9:40 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: DREAD Gold; UA 1.035MM; Bonvoy Au-197; PCC Elite+; CCC Elite+; MSC C-12; CWC Au-197; WoH Dis
I contacted Fairmont to intervene - citing the devastating parallel with the Hotel MacDonald in Edmonton.
And don't forget the destruction of the Empress. The Fairmont brand is pretty much destined for the history books.
Old Sep 27, 2019, 8:48 pm

Well here is a welcome development in the ongoing saga.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...ment-1.5300688

It's not over yet, but it's a step in the right direction. The interior renovation in the past couple of years was really nicely done. I don't know what this architect was smoking when he came up with this design.
Eagle_traveler likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 10:50 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Fairmont Chateau Laurier = Unique Historical Building but Little Details Missing

Fairmont Chateau Laurier

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Fairmont Chateau Laurier

1 Rideau St Ottawa, ON CA K1N 8S7

Fairmont Chateau Laurier = Unique Historical Building but Little Details Missing (13 Photos)

Fairmont Chateau Laurier

I have stayed at Fairmont Chateau Laurier in Ottawa in the past and returned this month.  It is not my favorite hotel in the city and several small details are missing but it can be suitable in some circumstances so I can recommend it.  

The location of Fairmont is hard to beat, right in the city center and next door to the parliament.  It is a historical building with some appeal to tourists but in terms of iconic landmark I would say a notch below the Fairmont Château Frontenac in Québec City.  

IMG_8357.jpeg

Room

I booked the entry level room and as Platinum guest I received a two-category upgrade to a deluxe room.  Since am a repeat guest at this property and booked during low season on a weekend (even lower occupancy), my only conclusion is that Platinum suite upgrades are most likely out of bounds at this property, at least if booking the entry level room.  While I wish they were more generous with the upgrade, in fairness I can say that this upgrade was decent, the cash value is not immaterial like some other hotels, and the upgrade was not just for a view.  I stayed in the basic room in Fairmont Ottawa before and it is quite cramped (27 sq meters) and I much prefer the deluxe room we got this time, which is 37 sq meters and also includes a sofa bed so you can comfortably have 4 guests in that room.   In addition the view was nice; our room was on the 6th floor overlooking the Ottawa river and we could see the Hilton hotel (Gatineau) in the distance. 

The rooms were renovated recently but there are more features than in Fairmont Québec City that were left untouched for example the old style wood doors.  While the room was spacious, the bathroom is definitely not: you can barely squeeze in when you open the door.  Also the shower is in a bathtub which I do not like much, but at least it had a rain shower in it.  In terms of bathroom amenities the Fairmont in Québec City was more generous with mouthwash available and large bottles of Le Labo products with my name printed on them despite the fact that it was my first visit there.  I have been to Fairmont Ottawa several times and there you get small bottles and for other items such as mouthwash you need to call to get them.  There was also no Platinum welcome amenity in the room such as fruits or chocolates and also no welcome letter which is a minor disappointment for a hotel of this level and they miss an opportunity to provide recognition to guests and encourage loyalty.

IMG_8343.jpegIMG_8344.jpegIMG_8345.jpegIMG_8346.jpeg

Dining

The breakfast buffet at Château Laurier is fairly good and included eggs benedict, roasted veggies, in addition to standard western breakfast items.  Overall the quality was on par with the Fairmont name particularly the smoked salmon which was excellent.  The restaurant provides a nice environment for breakfast and did not feel overcrowded.  While the quality of breakfast was good, the overall offering remains below what you get at Andaz Ottawa where they have an extensive a la carte menu to go along the buffet.  In Fairmont the a la carte menu is more modest and you cannot combine it with the buffet.

IMG_8351.jpegIMG_8352.jpegIMG_8353.jpegIMG_8354.jpeg

We used our welcome drinks at the hotel bar.  The area is nice and they allow you virtually any drink you want from the menu (within reason) which is more generous than almost any other Accor property we have visited regarding those welcome drinks.  The Jungle Fire cocktail was interesting with the server lighting up the drink, literally.  

IMG_8348.jpegIMG_8350.jpeg

Fairmont has a Gold lounge and although you need to pay for it (no free access as Platinum), at least it’s an option for those who want it which gives an edge to Fairmont over Andaz and Westin Ottawa.  In Ottawa other than Fairmont, if you want a lounge you have to go to Gatineau for the Hilton, or in Ottawa proper the options with a lounge are not of the same caliber as Fairmont: Marriott, Delta, Sheraton.  Upon check-in I was offered a special rate of 75 CAD for a couple to upgrade to the Gold floor.  Since my rate already included breakfast I declined for this time, but I was left to wonder if I had picked the lowest pre-paid rate without breakfast, whether the offer would have been the same at 75 CAD or not.  If so then it would be a very good deal.  I would be curious to hear if others have received this offer when booking a low rate without breakfast.  Next time in Ottawa on a weekend when hotel occupancy is low such as in November and when I suspect the Gold floor will not be busy, I might very well try booking the lowest rate and see if we will receive a good offer for Gold or not, which would give us breakfast by default.

We ordered room service once and the shrimps + crab cake were delicious and well presented.

IMG_8356.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi was fine but the speed 10 Mbps leaves a bit to be desired for a hotel like this one which strives to be the best in the city and which hosts several business guests.  

Gym

The gym is quite good, TV and internet were hooked up to machines and in working condition, and there were several weight machines.  

IMG_8355.jpeg

Service

Upon check-out I noticed that the 50 CAD food & beverage credit which was also included in my rate (on top of free breakfast) was not showing up on my bill.  This hotel is not new and this rate type is not new either.  I wonder why the credit is not automatically added to the invoice and how many unsuspecting guests end up overpaying.  Regarding check-out time, I am not sure what is the exact policy for Platinum guests.  The Accor website says we have late check-out as a Plat benefit but it does not specify the time, so does it mean it’s not really a benefit and each hotel can do what they want?  I called the morning of departure to ask for late check-out and I was asked “are you Mr Goldman leaving tomorrow?”.  I said no, I am Mr Escape4 leaving today.  The front desk agent said that on her screen it said I am Mr Goldman, so that means someone is coming into that room and I must leave at noon.  Even after pushing it a bit and asking about Platinum late check-out I was denied, which showed zero flexibility because an incoming guest on a one-night stay can most likely be assigned a different room than mine particularly during low occupancy.  Anyway instead of arguing any further I hung up and I was disappointed by the lack of service.  I got a call back shortly after telling me that my room was already noted for 2pm check-out (why did this not come up before?) so I was fine to extend my stay. Then about a half hour later I got a second call informing me that I could check out at 4pm.  Bottom line it was good service recovery, but the situation could have all been avoided with a more proactive desk agent the first time around.

Overall

Overall my view of whether this hotel is good value for the money or not depends mostly on whether it is for week days or weekends.  During the week there are lots politicians who are not the most price-sensitive guests so Fairmont can sometimes charge high prices and get away with it; personally I find the value to be poor during the week more often than not.  On weekends however prices are lower throughout the city but the difference is generally more notable at Fairmont, which means the extra you pay for Fairmont relative to alternatives is more modest on weekends.  Of the four hotel chains that I usually stay at, the top option in Ottawa for each chain are Hilton, Westin, Andaz, and Fairmont.  The Hilton might be the best hotel of this group but it’s in Gatineau not in Ottawa so that can be a deal killer for some.  The Andaz is my favorite of the group and I am always treated very well there with frequent suite upgrades as Hyatt Globalist member.  Fairmont is usually more expensive than Andaz especially if you pick a rate that includes breakfast which I get for free at Andaz, but using Life Experiences gift cards at 25% off can make the price difference of Fairmont compared to Andaz less material and when I see suites are sold out at Andaz then the room type I get at Fairmont is comparable to Andaz because I know I will not get a suite upgrade at Andaz for that particular stay.  At the opposite end of the spectrum Westin is very stingy with elite benefits, even more so than Fairmont but a key difference is that at least Fairmont sticks to the rules whereas Westin can lie to guests and provide less than what they are entitled to (upgrades), so it’s by far my least favorite top end hotel in Ottawa.  That leaves Fairmont somewhat in the middle.  It’s a nice historical property which I could recommend to first timers in Ottawa but know that the “wow” factor is not the same as the Fairmont in Québec City.

Fairmont Chateau Laurier = Unique Historical Building but Little Details Missing

Would you like to write a review on the Fairmont Chateau Laurier?

No, thank you.
Yes
restlessinRNO likes this.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 3:35 pm

I can confirm that the fee to add Gold lounge access is not standard. I've stayed there at busier times, just booking a non-Gold suite, and no such offer was made every time. I suspect they offer it at times when occupancy is low and they feel the lounge won't be crowded. The lounge is a decent size, but is not huge, and they won't bring in more guests than can be accommodated by the number of Gold-designated rooms.
escape4 likes this.
Old Aug 13, 2020, 4:54 pm

After much resistance and protests, it would appear the property owners have submitted a new design for the hotel addition. I still think it's ugly, but I admit it's a big improvement over the earlier proposals.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/ottaw...tawa-1.5685003

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.