Community
Wiki Posts
Search

The Fairmont Kea Lani, Maui

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2014, 10:04 pm

Spago was the same. They only opened at 530. I thought the special was until 630 and then at again 830, but I am probably wrong. Local Cuisine for two certificate was great and worth more than $50, in my opinion. Try Star Noodle - the old chief from there, Sheldon Simeon (of Top Chief fame) is now chief at the Marriott's new restaurant, Migrant. Fish Market had great fish and a nice Gelato place across the street for desset.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:42 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by Ancien Maestro
Surf and Turf sounds pretty good. That's a pretty high end dish, just with the surf. Making me reevaluate if I should dump the spa certificate for the dining option.

Did Spago's change their early/late pre-fixe? It was before 6pm and after 8:30 pm for the pre-fixe when we visited this past summer, and was the same for the many years we've eaten there.
That surf and turf does sound good. Does anyone know if I need to be staying there to use the cert? I am in Maui next month, but staying somewhere else.
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:46 am

If not staying at Kea Lani, I would simply book a reservation at Ko (Open Table is quick and easy), and call restaurant and tell them you will be using the "local cuising for two" paltinum certificate. This will avoid confusion...
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:49 am

Programs: All Accor Plat, 1865 Voyager, AE E35K, HH Gold,Hyatt, Hrtz Gold, Marriott Gold, NEXUS
Originally Posted by dts9
If not staying at Kea Lani, I would simply book a reservation at Ko (Open Table is quick and easy), and call restaurant and tell them you will be using the "local cuising for two" paltinum certificate. This will avoid confusion...
I will try that. Thanks!
Old Mar 26, 2014, 8:57 am
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by allbrosca
That surf and turf does sound good. Does anyone know if I need to be staying there to use the cert? I am in Maui next month, but staying somewhere else.
Just have the restaurant deduct your certificate electronically. There is no requirement to be staying at the hotel when dining at any Fairmont restaurant (except restaurants that are excluded on terms and conditions such as Nick's Fishmarket. When staying at the hotel, the front desk may make an exception on a case by case basis).
Old Apr 14, 2014, 2:48 pm

Originally Posted by dts9
It is surf and turf for two at Ko. No options, but wonderful Maui beef and fish.
Did it look similar to this picture?
http://behindthecockpit.files.wordpr...4/img_2439.jpg

That was from 2012 when we had the local dish for one person passion. The plate was the size of a cutting board and it felt like having two entrees on one plate. It tasted excellent overall

Looking forward to enjoying this years version in a cpl weeks
Old Apr 14, 2014, 7:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Fairmont Platinum, Aeroplan Diamond, HHonors Gold, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by kokinos

That was from 2012 when we had the local dish for one person passion. The plate was the size of a cutting board and it felt like having two entrees on one plate. It tasted excellent overall

I thought you've already made it down. Awesome you'll be able to stop at the Kea Lani during the week down there.

Enjoy the wedding and have fun.
Old Apr 16, 2014, 4:01 pm

Programs: Airline Free Agent, Fairmont Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Honors Diamond
Originally Posted by kokinos

Yes that was the one we had last week! It was excellent...that steak was better than the one at a recommended restaurant they all rave about in Buenos Aires!! We actually ordered the appetizer platter too so it was way too much food!

I was glad I chose the Local Dish benefit....I almost didn't! And this is the first property that this was handled smoothly, they just deducted $80.00 from the bill!

Thumbs up to FKL, stay was wonderful. Nick's Happy Hour was awesome too!
Old May 19, 2014, 11:08 am

Originally Posted by gpapadop
Yes that was the one we had last week! It was excellent...that steak was better than the one at a recommended restaurant they all rave about in Buenos Aires!! We actually ordered the appetizer platter too so it was way too much food!

I was glad I chose the Local Dish benefit....I almost didn't! And this is the first property that this was handled smoothly, they just deducted $80.00 from the bill!

Thumbs up to FKL, stay was wonderful. Nick's Happy Hour was awesome too!
I just had the local dish again last week too This time the steak and fish were smaller pieces but I still couldn't finish the full meal. We started with the spring rolls and now they have two roll options which I don't recall from our last visit. We also enjoyed a bottle of their Rose Prosecco which was excellent given the price point of $40 for the bottle.

However we had $100 deducted from our tab but the entrees rang in at $49.99 each so no net benefit.

Service at hotel overall seems to have improved to a new level. Front desk and all staff who knocked on the door welcomed me back.

We had an ocean view room just above Nicks and I actually preferred it to our Deluxe Ocean view from our last stay. The ocean was a bit further away but you could see it from anywhere in the living and bed rooms.
Old May 20, 2014, 2:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Great property overall (including dining with nice breakfast buffet and happy hour) but shower water pressure is just awful. Was quite a contrast with Andaz where we could actually take a shower and not some misty drizzle.

Regular tap water flow is good so likely they installed some water saving reducer in the shower. I can sort of understand this in LAS or PHX but not in HI.
Old May 23, 2014, 7:36 pm

Programs: whatever comes with CCs
I'm writing this from the hotel.. we enjoyed a beautiful sunset yesterday so today we made a reservation at Nick's for dinner. This will be our only meal at Nick's. Wish we could have used the dining certificates here.

anyway, what would you guys recommend most? My basic research says opakapaka or mahi. There is a photo of sushi that I have seen a few times. I can't figure out which one it is.

There is also restaurant week going on so we may be able to get a prix fixe menu with low price by hawaii standards. Will reprot back how it goes
Old Jun 20, 2014, 8:36 pm

can someone confirm that the visa $25 breakfast certificates will actually cover a buffet breakfast at this hotel?

is the 2 breakfasts for $50 offer still available? we are thinking to come over in august

thanks
Old Jun 23, 2014, 9:37 pm

Originally Posted by mcdonalde
can someone confirm that the visa $25 breakfast certificates will actually cover a buffet breakfast at this hotel?

is the 2 breakfasts for $50 offer still available? we are thinking to come over in august

thanks
Negative. The buffet breakfast is somewhere around $35 pp + tax and gratuity iirc. This was in April of last year.
Old Aug 5, 2014, 5:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Diamond, Hilton Gold, AA Gold, Club Carlson Gold
I recently went to this resort and the Andaz Maui. From the reviews I thought this hotel would be incredible but it actually wasn't that great. The hotel seems to be more geared to an older family crowd unlike the Andaz which is more towards the younger folks. I think people like this hotel since everyone gets a suite but the rooms do need a refresh. The gym was kind of downstairs in the dark with no windows too. One thing I did like a lot was the breakfast buffet which was one og the better ones that I've had in Hawaii.
Old Aug 7, 2014, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by Rickytran
I think people like this hotel since everyone gets a suite but the rooms do need a refresh. The gym was kind of downstairs in the dark with no windows too. One thing I did like a lot was the breakfast buffet which was one og the better ones that I've had in Hawaii.
I don't know if its because they are doing a room refresh or just depends on the 'wing' or room level you are in but it depends on the room you get. Because of changed travel plans we ended up breaking up our stay here into two different ones. The first room we got on one side of the lobby was much more updated than the second on the other side of the lobby. Nicer ceiling fans, light fixtures, light switches and I think the stucco ceiling was gone.

The gym was a bit small too and I agree with you on the breakfast

I don't have another Maui hotel to compare it to but what made you think the Andaz was more geared to younger folks?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.