The Fairmont Washington, D.C.

Old Mar 2, 15, 6:49 am

Programs: UA Global Services, TSA Pre✓, Starbucks Gold, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Again, I'm not complaining about the lack of taxis. And I don't think the Uber surge is 2-3 minutes. Since I got to DC on Sunday at 10am, there has been surge pricing at 1.5x or more.
My complaint is simply about the hotel. I see no reason the front desk agent couldn't have made a call when I asked. He told me to wait 10 minutes while he stood around and did nothing. I think that's unacceptable. I don't think that would happen at a Best Western, let alone a Fairmont. I ended up taking an Uber.
Old Mar 6, 15, 6:34 am

Programs: Fairmont, Amex MR, Marriott
I was there this past weekend.

Most mornings the hotels on that corner were out on M street whistling for taxis to come to their respective properties.

We did a mix of Uber and taxi, and Uber was by far the better option.
Old May 4, 15, 4:00 pm

What is the Gold lounge here like after renovation? What services do they offer throughout the day?
Old Oct 17, 15, 9:14 am

Programs: AA Gold, HH Gold
We stayed here a couple of weeks ago for four nights. There were almost always taxis out front. One night, it was raining, the doorman offered to drive us to a nearby restaurant.

I will say the food isn't so great here.
Old Nov 3, 15, 12:53 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
The Fairmont Washington is about to start a $27Million refurb. The pictures look nice. The common areas of the hotel are already really nice, but the rooms have aways seems rather ordinary to me and in need of a refresh.

http://www.bizjournals.com/washingto...g.html?ana=twt
Old Nov 3, 15, 1:45 pm
Suspended

Programs: AC E50K (*G) WS Gold | SPG/Fairmont Plat Hilton/Hyatt Diamond Marriott Silver | National Exec Elite
The rooms are OK. The suite I was in was quite nice actually. Celebrated new years there with my then, gf. (now wife).

Shopping in VA rocks too. However, the dollar has taken a crap since then
Old Apr 9, 16, 11:41 pm

Thinking of using a suite upgrade and gold level upgrade for an 8 night stay here in July. Any thoughts on how I should split this up e.g. 4 in gold plus 4 in suite, 3 in gold and 5 in suite, etc? My current feeling is that the suite will be nicer but I've never stayed in gold so any insights would be appreciated.
Old Jun 15, 16, 9:27 am

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Platinum
I just rebooked my stay here for three nights over Labor Day weekend. Yes, you can use your suite upgrade certificates to get into a gold suite-it is no issue at all. I am staying in one for the price of a King room on the gold floor, and tacking on a free third night, so it is working out well. I have not stayed on a gold floor before and looking forward to it!
Old Feb 25, 17, 3:52 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
Spent another 2 nights there. This time, after the renovations are complete. They have done a lovely job with the remodel. The lobby is much more open and inviting now.

We were welcomed back by both the doorman & front desk. The surprise was the doorman said he recognized us - and it's been over 2 years since we'd been there.

The hotel was pretty full for the holiday weekend so we got the suite upgrade to the corner capital suite, which is pretty much nothing more than a much larger "L" shaped room with a very small dining table. The bed is separated from the sofa/seating area by a credenza with a TV on top. Not our idea of a suite, but it was a nice sized room. The surprise is that these corner suites have usable, though small, balconies. Given that the weather was incredibly nice for February, I enjoyed being able to go outside for a bit, though there is no room for a chair. I would say that 3-4 people could stand out there comfortably.

I was really looking forward to having a room with that great shower head, but either they were all taken out during the remodel, or only the larger suites have them. We had an ordinary bathroom with a tub/shower combination. A word of warning - the water pressure in the shower is horrible. Such a change from our past experience. They also still have those Le Labo rose scented amenties. I'm glad I remembered and brought my own because it gives my husband a headache I suppose if I had asked for something else they would have provided.

But all in all, it was a very nice stay. We had all our meals in the restaurant and they were all freshly prepared and good. After our first trip we thought it too far away from the Mall for our taste, but for this trip, it was nice to be in a quieter area. Plus, since the weather was so nice, we spend a half day at the National Zoo and the hotel is just about half way between the Mall & Zoo.

We would stay there again.

Last edited by Mary2e; Feb 27, 17 at 8:21 am
Old Apr 17, 17, 1:51 pm

Has anyone stayed here lately on a room upgrade stay? If so, did you just get the standard one category upgrade? I've booked three nights over the 4th of July for the festivities.
Old Apr 17, 17, 1:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist, Ambassador: World of Hyatt

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Fairmont Lifetime Plat, UA Silver, dirt elsewhere
I was there for President's Day weekend and they were almost completely sold out, which is why we only received the suite allowed by the upgrade. In the past, I used 2 suite upgrades for a nicer suite.

I imagine it will be far busier for July 4th and you'll only get what you reserved.
Old Jul 9, 17, 8:46 am

what does the suite upgrade here get you?
Old Jul 9, 17, 11:03 am
Moderator: Le Club Accorhotels

Programs: AC Super Elite, Radisson Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by VeryHumerus View Post
what does the suite upgrade here get you?
A Capital Corner Suite.
Old Jul 15, 17, 11:09 am

I stayed here for 3 nights over the 4th of July using a room upgrade cert and a third free night. Everything was great until I went to check out and my bill was incorrect and the girl took a very long time to fix my bill and then still got it wrong. When I wrote to the Fairmont advising them of this, I was offered (and accepted) a free upgrade to the Gold Floor the next time I go to DC, and the offer is good through the end of 2018. As always, the Fairmont has amazing service, and I hope this is not lost when Accor completely takes over!
Old Mar 29, 18, 8:50 pm

Programs: SPG Gold, HHonors Gold, Hyatt Platinum
For those who have stayed in the Capitol Corner Suite - is there a sofa bed in the room? Some descriptions of the room mention a chaise lounge, but I hope someone with first-hand experience can give me a better answer. Thanks!

Search this Thread