Mercure Minsk Old Town

Old Jul 10, 2019, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Programs: Miles & More; LeClub Accor
Angry Mercure Minsk Old Town

Today, I received an email from Mercure Minsk Old Town informing me that they had cancelled my reservation because "The hotel suspended its work from 07/09/2019 and unfortunately, we would not be able to accommodate you." We were booked in for the last week this month (July) and have Accor Gold status. Booking reservations on Expedia, Booking, etc also appear to be suspended. Does anyone have a clue what is going on? The hotel has been open only for a few months!
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:51 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: LeClubAccorhotels Platinum, M&M FTL
In Belarus, hotel bookings cancel you!
blue2002 and James Luckard like this.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 10:14 am
Original Poster

We have received a telephone call from Mercure Minsk Old Town to apologise for the cancellation, but they declined to explain the reasons and have refused our request for a refund (the booking was prepaid). Truly bizarre.
Old Jul 15, 2019, 12:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Sorry but there is something I don't understand : they cancelled your booking because the hotel will be closed but they refuse to refund you ?
Something is very wrong here. Did you book direct or through a TA/OTA ?

Last edited by Goldorak; Jul 16, 2019 at 12:06 am
Old Jul 15, 2019, 9:01 pm

Programs: CX DM (OWE), Accor Gold
If the booking was made by Accor official channel, please contact accor customer service to solve it out.
If the booking was made by OTA, please contact the OTA to solve it out.
If one of them above couldn't refund you the payment, please contact your credit card bank to claim dispute transaction.

Eventually, you will get your money back...
Old Jul 16, 2019, 3:55 am
Company Representative, Accorhotels

Programs: ALL - Accor Live Limitless
Originally Posted by Martin Rickman
We have received a telephone call from Mercure Minsk Old Town to apologise for the cancellation, but they declined to explain the reasons and have refused our request for a refund (the booking was prepaid). Truly bizarre.
Dear Martin,

We received a few days ago the information that the hotel had to immediately stop any activity.
Regarding your upcoming stay and its refund, I strongly invite you to contact Customer Service to ask for their assistance.

Best regards,
Amy
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:55 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
I smell that there was something going on at this hotel ...
Where as the customer to contact CS for getting a refund for a stay cancelled by Accor, I am sorry Amy but this is an utter joke. It should be sorted here and there.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 9:02 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
This is where the Accor "system" fails.

- there is a 80% chance that the guest's name is Martin Rickman
- internally at Accor, messages and emails should be flying to figure out if a certain guest by the same name had a booking.
- if not, reach out to him by DM
- sort it out. Accor (via the hotel) caused a guest a problem. Sort it out for the guest! Not the other way around!!!

This is where I argue that in certain cases, Accor just doesn't give a damn!!
Old Jul 16, 2019, 7:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

OP, when I visited Minsk last year I stayed at the DoubleTree. Had a great stay and they didn't cancel my reservation!
Old Jul 21, 2019, 12:01 pm
Original Poster

Many thanks to everyone for your advice.

We have now raised a query via the Accor customer services team. To his credit, the agent was horrified that a refund was refused and confirmed with me several times that it was the hotel (and not me) who had cancelled the booking. The agent explained that the query would go to a team in Paris and a response normally takes 72hrs.
hotel_user likes this.
Old Aug 12, 2019, 11:09 am
Original Poster

Update: We booked an alternative hotel via Expedia and have returned from a great city break in Minsk. We did a walk past the Mercure Old Town Minsk and found it utterly abandoned - all blinds drawn, no lights or power on and no information posted on the front door. The Old Town area is thriving so the hotel stands out like a sore thumb.

We had to chase Accor Customer Services for a third time about the refund and finally received it at the weekend - a month after initially requesting one. We haven't yet received any form of apology or explanation from Accor.
hotel_user likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.