FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Late Checkout Available - For a Fee (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1976337-late-checkout-available-fee.html)

TravelStar Jul 1, 2019 10:34 am

Late Checkout Available - For a Fee

Just finishing a two-night staycation at The Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn. We've been coming here for years and always enjoy it even though it's only a 45 minute drive from where we live it's a nice getaway with a resort, spa and wine country feel. This year we've noticed an upgrade in the food quality and service of room service and poolside at the main pool. Try the Ahi Poke and Lobster Nachos Poolside!

It's typical that we request a late checkout as we make a half day at the spa and/or pool. I was Fairmont Platinum for years and was always able to get 4:00 no problem. This year I am Accor Platinum and went to the front desk to request 4:00 and was politely extended 2:00 PM for free, but 4:00 would cost an extra $50. I agreed because to me it's not a big deal price-wise, but somehow it seems wrong. Unlike Fairmont's program which was a 4:00 guarantee, Accor is based on "availability". The way I see it, it's available, but cough up some dough! Thoughts?

greg99 Jul 1, 2019 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar (Post 31258422)
It's typical that we request a late checkout as we make a half day at the spa and/or pool. I was Fairmont Platinum for years and was always able to get 4:00 no problem. This year I am Accor Platinum and went to the front desk to request 4:00 and was politely extended 2:00 PM for free, but 4:00 would cost an extra $50. I agreed because to me it's not a big deal price-wise, but somehow it seems wrong. Unlike Fairmont's program which was a 4:00 guarantee, Accor is based on "availability". The way I see it, it's available, but cough up some dough! Thoughts?

It's a great resort. I only go up for conferences (my wife's family lives in Napa, so we don't generally "do" Sonoma), but enjoy it when I go. I agree it seems slimy.

I'd consider a little social media pressure for that - maybe a Twitter question to the hotel, cc: @accorhotels?

tris06 Jul 1, 2019 3:55 pm

You should ask why is it available if you pay 50USD to 4pm. If it is not booked for someone else then it is available and then hence available for late checkout which is usually to 4pm. Poor implementation from the hotel. Some Accor hotels in Asia will even happily check me out at 9 or 10pm if I have a late night (early morning flight). I did not see that fairmonts are limited to 2pm late checkouts as well.

mahasamatman Jul 1, 2019 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by TravelStar (Post 31258422)
Unlike Fairmont's program which was a 4:00 guarantee, Accor is based on "availability".

Fairmont's program was the best in the business and very customer-focused. Accor's program is, well, let's just leave it at that.

starflyergold Jul 1, 2019 10:25 pm

Badly trained staff and/or badly managed hotel. Contact customer service and request a refund.

nrouxel Jul 2, 2019 1:03 am

I had the same kind of problem at a Novotel : https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...request-2.html
The battle was long and hard, but finally I was refunded of the late checkout fee

markis10 Jul 2, 2019 1:18 am

Originally Posted by mahasamatman (Post 31259515)
Fairmont's program was the best in the business and very customer-focused. Accor's program is, well, let's just leave it at that.

And yet one ended up being consumed by the other as it couldn’t survive on its own ;)

cowism Jul 2, 2019 4:30 am

Talk to a manager

rfrost Jul 2, 2019 10:48 am

Originally Posted by markis10 (Post 31260698)

And yet one ended up being consumed by the other as it couldn’t survive on its own ;)

What is your basis for the latter half of that statement? As Fairmont was privately held, I don't know what its financial situation was, or what the thinking of its owners was in deciding to sell to Accor.

Dav77 Jul 2, 2019 11:09 am

If late check out is available paying a fee, it means it’s available ...

it means you are entitled to get free late check out for free, on my points of view.

4.00 PM is the “late check out time” by convention

gilbertaue Jul 2, 2019 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by Dav77 (Post 31262270)
If late check out is available paying a fee, it means it’s available ...

it means you are entitled to get free late check out for free, on my points of view.

4.00 PM is the “late check out time” by convention

Exactly. It's the same that goes for upgrades.

"We can't upgrade you as nothing is available.
But for an extra USD45 we can upgrade you to...."

Goldorak Jul 3, 2019 12:34 am

@AccorHotelsConcierge : dear Amy, the late checkout becomes more and more an issue in hotels as you can see in this thread and it matches also with my own experience during the last months. Now that most hotels are monetizing the late checkout, they tend to say no to Gold/Plat members or just proposing useless 1pm. It could be beneficial if clear guidelines and reminders were given to hotels like :
- reminding the hotels that late checkout is a Gold/Plat benefit
- upon availability : certainly and we all understand that but they should not play that card without reasons
​​​​​​- 4 pm is the standard, but it’s not forbidden to do more ;)
- no monetization of early check-in/late checkout for Gold/Plat (as said by other posters, if this is available for a fee, then it’s available for free as LCAH Gold/Plat benefit.

Maybe those guidelines already exists, but if the case, they are not very well implemented ;)

Abouttimetoo Jul 6, 2019 1:34 pm

Credit where it's due, I was given a 4pm checkout at the Auckland airport Novotel last Saturday. No rolling of eyes, air sucked through teeth, mention of exceptional favour - just simply, yes, that's fine. Much appreciated.

gilbertaue Jul 6, 2019 7:39 pm

You will generally find that the benefits work well in APAC. Accor has a very capable Loyalty team working this market (out of SG) and they manage and communicate the loyalty message to properties well.

AccorHotels Concierge Jul 16, 2019 3:32 am

Originally Posted by Goldorak (Post 31264359)
@AccorHotelsConcierge : dear Amy, the late checkout becomes more and more an issue in hotels as you can see in this thread and it matches also with my own experience during the last months. Now that most hotels are monetizing the late checkout, they tend to say no to Gold/Plat members or just proposing useless 1pm. It could be beneficial if clear guidelines and reminders were given to hotels like :
- reminding the hotels that late checkout is a Gold/Plat benefit
- upon availability : certainly and we all understand that but they should not play that card without reasons
​​​​​​- 4 pm is the standard, but it’s not forbidden to do more ;)
- no monetization of early check-in/late checkout for Gold/Plat (as said by other posters, if this is available for a fee, then it’s available for free as LCAH Gold/Plat benefit.

Maybe those guidelines already exists, but if the case, they are not very well implemented ;)

Dear member,

Thank you for alerting us, we're going to investigate on this issue and keep you update on the evolution of this case.

Best regards,
Amy