FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Have you been scammed by Accor promotions? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1968885-have-you-been-scammed-accor-promotions.html)

theaugbunnies May 9, 2019 1:44 am

Have you been scammed by Accor promotions?

I have a bad case to report which is the Accorplus team not honoring the promotional points offer for boost 2019.

I booked my stays but pay part of it with reward points. In the terms and conditions of the emailer that i attached below, it does not state that reward points cannot be used for this promotion. It purely mentioned that vouchers cannot be used. The customer service rep sent me another set of terms which states that reward points cannot be used and will not honor the promotional points.

Is this not a case of false advertising? Any one have faced similar issues? Will sending a complaint to my local consumer protection agency help?

https://cimg2.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...3e73f81a0.jpeg
https://cimg1.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...0f077f569.jpeg

NickB May 9, 2019 2:12 am

First, nobody has been "scammed" by this as there is no scam here. A scam implies a deliberate dishonest intention to mislead. There is no evidence of such an intention here. At most, what there might be is clumsy wording inherited from the era where rewards were issued in the form of vouchers. I think that most LCAH members would understand that the phrase "any stay paid in full or in part with one our more LCAH vouchers" refers primarily to stays paid using reward points.

Now, it is possible that somebody who is less familiar with LCAH might conceivably be misled although I would have thought that the above sentence would at the very least raise some doubts in the mind of the individual concerned and prompt him or her to seek clarification from LCAH to find out for sure what the story is with stays paid with reward points, especially as the exclusion of reward nights/nights paid with points from those kinds of promotions tends to be SOP in the majority of hotel frequent stayer programmes.

Whether complaining to your local advertising standards or consumer complaints agency will help, who knows? That surely depends on what its expectations are and what remedies it has to offer. This is, however, very far from being the strongest case of misleading advertising that I have ever come across even if there is some degree of carelessness in the phrasing of the promotion.

kaizen7 May 9, 2019 2:25 am

I believe the t&c you posted did mention that any stay paid in full or part by lcah voucher is not eligible.

theaugbunnies May 9, 2019 2:45 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 31082415)
First, nobody has been "scammed" by this as there is no scam here. A scam implies a deliberate dishonest intention to mislead. There is no evidence of such an intention here. At most, what there might be is clumsy wording inherited from the era where rewards were issued in the form of vouchers. I think that most LCAH members would understand that the phrase "any stay paid in full or in part with one our more LCAH vouchers" refers primarily to stays paid using reward points.

Now, it is possible that somebody who is less familiar with LCAH might conceivably be misled although I would have thought that the above sentence would at the very least raise some doubts in the mind of the individual concerned and prompt him or her to seek clarification from LCAH to find out for sure what the story is with stays paid with reward points, especially as the exclusion of reward nights/nights paid with points from those kinds of promotions tends to be SOP in the majority of hotel frequent stayer programmes.

Whether complaining to your local advertising standards or consumer complaints agency will help, who knows? That surely depends on what its expectations are and what remedies it has to offer. This is, however, very far from being the strongest case of misleading advertising that I have ever come across even if there is some degree of carelessness in the phrasing of the promotion.

Thanks for your response, as large as a corporate entity that Accor is, putting out incorrect information and not adhering to the terms and conditions stipulated by the organisation makes me feel that the company is not acting in good faith. I am not so much a lawyer but I do know that when i subscribed to the promotion, I understand that there is a binding agreement which when fulfilled, I am entitled to the whatever the said reward should be. This points are not worth millions of dollars but if it was, will it be all right for LCAH to be careless or to make assumptions in the wording like what you are implying. I am not too concerned about being conned 120 EUR worth of points but it is the principle of it all. How can i trust the company if they do not agree to their word?

Being careless in the phrasing and being the standard SOP is quite a weak argument in my opinion. Should a consumer having look at the terms and conditions of said promotion and then have to do further research on what other programs is doing? Will it not also be a case when I think that Accor made some changes to the terms and conditions to differentiate themselves from the rest of the hotel membership programs?

theaugbunnies May 9, 2019 2:46 am

Originally Posted by kaizen7 (Post 31082442)
I believe the t&c you posted did mention that any stay paid in full or part by lcah voucher is not eligible.

yeah, i used points and not vouchers? Have LCAH ever refer to their reward points as vouchers?

NickB May 9, 2019 2:51 am

Originally Posted by theaugbunnies (Post 31082467)
yeah, i used points and not vouchers? Have LCAH ever refer to their reward points as vouchers?

Yes, not so long ago all points were issued in the form of physical vouchers that you had to redeem at the hotel. Voucher dematerialisation was considered a huge progress as we were finally able to redeem vouchers against online prepaid rates.

theaugbunnies May 9, 2019 2:56 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 31082473)
Yes, not so long ago all points were issued in the form of physical vouchers that you had to redeem at the hotel. Voucher dematerialisation was considered a huge progress as we were finally able to redeem vouchers against online prepaid rates.

Then that will be a legacy issue and not something contemporary. Should all new consumers be familiar with what a company does in the past?

NickB May 9, 2019 3:28 am

Originally Posted by theaugbunnies (Post 31082478)
Then that will be a legacy issue and not something contemporary. Should all new consumers be familiar with what a company does in the past?

Whatever. You have information and context so you can make up your mind. I have zero interest in engaging in a pointless polemical discussion.

theaugbunnies May 9, 2019 3:42 am

Originally Posted by NickB (Post 31082526)
Whatever. You have information and context so you can make up your mind. I have zero interest in engaging in a pointless polemical discussion.

Thanks for your response. I think my posts seek to find a solution to my issue at hand and also to serve as a warning to newer and potential customers of LCAH which is not to trust the company at what they are saying because they do not keep their word.

I am not trying to pick a fight with you but what you are saying does not seem to be a good and valid argument for LCAH shortcomings.

​​​​​​​If I was LCAH, I think I will own up to my mistake and provide what ever is due as per the terms agreed.

markis10 May 9, 2019 6:18 am

No scam here, and others were quick to note the terms and conditions as per normal exclude bonuses when paying with points ie https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/30740678-post238.html . FlyerTalk is a useful source of information, as well as being a place some like to rant.

kaizen7 May 9, 2019 11:27 am

Originally Posted by theaugbunnies (Post 31082467)

I believe they still use vouchers for point redemption.
but instead of issuing physical voucher, lcah use electronic one that sent directly to the property.

Goldorak May 9, 2019 2:10 pm

Certainly no scam here. Have a glass of wine and relax...

AlwaysFlyStar May 9, 2019 10:16 pm

I feel like both positions here are reasonable. As someone who has been with Accor for nearly 10 years, I see voucher and automatically assume that means using points. However, if I just joined today, I would not understand it in that way. Additionally I just checked the security email from the last time I redeemed points at a hotel which was a couple of weeks ago, and there was no mention of voucher in the email.

Dear AlwaysFlyStar,
You chose to deduct 12,000 Rewards points from your bill during your stay at the ****. Please find below the code to present to the hotel in order to deduct these points from your bill:
Once the code has been entered by the hotel, the Rewards points points will be immediately debited from your account. Please note you will not be able to cancel or amend the transaction. The transaction can be viewed by logging into your online account and going to the "My points history" section. We wish you a nice stay. Your Le Club AccorHotels team
And in the bill, it said points redemption, not voucher. So even if they still refer to them as vouchers internally, outwardly, for non-terms and conditions issues, it seems they have shifted away from that term. So if I had recently joined, I would assume that the LCAH vouchers mentioned in the terms are some unrelated entity. So while I have read and understood the terms and conditions, I think that they were indeed unclear and would agree that, for the OP, he should be entitled to receive the points from the promotion. However, in reality, I am not sure how likely this would be and how far they are willing to go in order to achieve this. And while this is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer, as far as the law is concerned, my understanding is that based on the contra proferentem rule, if the terms that were published when OP chose to participate in the promotion only mentioned LCAH vouchers and not points, in theory, the OP should be entitled to the points both legally and morally. However, as it is not a huge amount of worth in the grand scheme of things, I would question how much effort it is worth to pursue such a thing, but that is for the OP to decide.

theaugbunnies May 10, 2019 2:34 am

Originally Posted by AlwaysFlyStar (Post 31085536)
I feel like both positions here are reasonable. As someone who has been with Accor for nearly 10 years, I see voucher and automatically assume that means using points. However, if I just joined today, I would not understand it in that way. Additionally I just checked the security email from the last time I redeemed points at a hotel which was a couple of weeks ago, and there was no mention of voucher in the email.

And in the bill, it said points redemption, not voucher. So even if they still refer to them as vouchers internally, outwardly, for non-terms and conditions issues, it seems they have shifted away from that term. So if I had recently joined, I would assume that the LCAH vouchers mentioned in the terms are some unrelated entity. So while I have read and understood the terms and conditions, I think that they were indeed unclear and would agree that, for the OP, he should be entitled to receive the points from the promotion. However, in reality, I am not sure how likely this would be and how far they are willing to go in order to achieve this. And while this is not legal advice and I am not a lawyer, as far as the law is concerned, my understanding is that based on the contra proferentem rule, if the terms that were published when OP chose to participate in the promotion only mentioned LCAH vouchers and not points, in theory, the OP should be entitled to the points both legally and morally. However, as it is not a huge amount of worth in the grand scheme of things, I would question how much effort it is worth to pursue such a thing, but that is for the OP to decide.

Thanks, very reasonable response. It seems that the LCAH team is willing to extend a goodwill gesture and grant me 3000 points instead of what I was entitled too. Not the best outcome that i had hope for but at least i got something.

Dav77 May 10, 2019 4:07 am

Originally Posted by theaugbunnies (Post 31085984)
Thanks, very reasonable response. It seems that the LCAH team is willing to extend a goodwill gesture and grant me 3000 points instead of what I was entitled too. Not the best outcome that i had hope for but at least i got something.

maybe this sounds like even Accor don’t understand a lot on their T&Cs... 😃