FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Thailand - Bangkok (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1963509-thailand-bangkok.html)

LeClubVirgin Apr 1, 2019 11:23 am

Thailand - Bangkok

Hi all

first trip to Thailand coming up so was after your thoughts/recommendations on which property to stay? Budget wise on the dates it's almost a straight shoot out between the 2 sofitels and the two M Galleries. I must say the rooms seem a lot more personal in the M Galleries too. but each to their own :).
And more of a general travel question - if you had 10 nights would you do 4/5 in Bangkok then spend another 4/5 somewhere else in Thailand? Obviously I'm a complete Asian noob asking these questions :D

Anyway thanks in advance and hopefully I'll get some good tips.

Dav77 Apr 1, 2019 11:59 am

It’s never to late to start visit Thailand 😃

i hope you will not take the same disease than us, because then you need to come back every year, or asap ... 👍

10 days in Bangkok I think are too much, even if on your first visit. I would share between Bangkok and ...it depends what you like and when you go.

-Koh Samui
-Phuket
-Krabi

if you are looking for some days at the sea and want “easy” places.

-Chiang Mai if you prefer something else.

In Bangkok I would recommend 100% Sofitel sukhumvit. It’s everything you can expect from a Sofitel, at one of the cheaper rate (all Hotels in Bangkok are “cheap” compared with 90% of the rest of the “turist” world)

ConTraFly Apr 1, 2019 1:43 pm

SO Sofitel is nice

Originally Posted by LeClubVirgin (Post 30953048)
Hi all

first trip to Thailand coming up so was after your thoughts/recommendations on which property to stay? Budget wise on the dates it's almost a straight shoot out between the 2 sofitels and the two M Galleries. I must say the rooms seem a lot more personal in the M Galleries too. but each to their own :).
And more of a general travel question - if you had 10 nights would you do 4/5 in Bangkok then spend another 4/5 somewhere else in Thailand? Obviously I'm a complete Asian noob asking these questions :D

Anyway thanks in advance and hopefully I'll get some good tips.

I really enjoyed SO Sofitel's infinity pool and the location right next to Lumpini park. Cannot compare to other hotels mentioned, but for a relaxing "fitness class" vacation SO is a very viable option. Also worth mentioning was the breakfast. We tried the lounge breakfast three times, but the general buffet was far superior alternative. Will be staying at SO also next time. Just don't choose the blue theme room (don't remember what the element was called), it causes nausea even from pictures…

And for the other question, depends on what you want to do. Me personally can lie on the pool and walk in the Lumpini park for the whole 10 days. :)

LeClubVirgin Apr 1, 2019 3:21 pm

Originally Posted by Dav77 (Post 30953200)
10 days in Bangkok I think are too much, even if on your first visit. I would share between Bangkok and ...it depends what you like and when you go.

-Koh Samui
-Phuket
-Krabi

Thanks Dav much appreciated i’ll Take your advice on board and look at breaking up the trip.

LeClubVirgin Apr 1, 2019 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by ConTraFly (Post 30953622)
I really enjoyed SO Sofitel's infinity pool and the location right next to Lumpini park. Cannot compare to other hotels mentioned, but for a relaxing "fitness class" vacation SO is a very viable option. Also worth mentioning was the breakfast. We tried the lounge breakfast three times, but the general buffet was far superior alternative. Will be staying at SO also next time. Just don't choose the blue theme room (don't remember what the element was called), it causes nausea even from pictures…

And for the other question, depends on what you wan't to do. Me personally can lie on the pool and walk in the Lumpini park for the whole 10 days. :)

thanks contra so 2 for the Sofitel, getting conclusive ;)
thinking now 10 days is probably too much in one place, although the other half probably won’t complain! Maybe I’ll leave her by the infinity pool and i’ll go exploring haha

martin_paris Apr 1, 2019 7:05 pm

When looking at Bangkok it's always good to first consider what you want to do. Even-though taxi are very cheap, it will take a while to get to all of the temples and royal palace if you are around Sukhumvit. If you want to start by some cultural visit then being close to the Chao Prahya isn't a bad choice. The Pullman G would come to mind but Sofitel So would also be closer. For anything related to entertainment the Sukhumvit area offers more option and both the Sofitel and the Muse would be good choices. I agree that 10 days in BKK can be rather long. After being in the city a few dozen of times for business I recently got to visit Ayutthaya : It's an easy and very authentic 2h train ride from Bangkok and the temples are well worth spending a couple of days : No Accor hotels there but you will find many nice alternatives. Another option if it's your first time in Asia is actually to spend 3 days of you trip to visit Siem Reap and the temples of Angkor Wat. It's only a short 45 minutes flight from Bangkok and you can spend a few days looking at the temples in the morning and spending good time at the pool of the beautifull Sofitel there ...

Not saying that beaches in Phuket, Krabi or Koh Samui aren't worth it but for a first visit in South East Asia there is so much to see that's it could be worth giving up a little beach time you can most probably get much closer to where you live.

ozmouse Apr 2, 2019 1:46 am

yes 10 days in BKK might be too much for a thai newbie. (or any asian city newbie)
im all for sofitel so.both for hotel itself and location. I like it being on lumphini park with view, closer to the river and away from sumkhumvit. but maybe for first time visitor sumkh is better.... i dont know im biased now.
i also agree with comments re beach areas.....I go to thailand twice a year, and havent been back to phuket in 10 years. there are other 2nd island and towns. again.. maybe first time visitor...
I can also recommend Ayutthaya for temples.
i can also recommend Hua Hin... 3 hour drive south of BKK, beaches (not surf, not crystal blue water). temples. national parks.
NOTE Chaing Mai choked with air pollution atm.. (BKK also affected).

Dav77 Apr 2, 2019 7:47 am

Originally Posted by LeClubVirgin (Post 30953970)

thanks contra so 2 for the Sofitel, getting conclusive ;)
thinking now 10 days is probably too much in one place, although the other half probably won’t complain! Maybe I’ll leave her by the infinity pool and i’ll go exploring haha

be careful, the shadow of divorce is always behind the corner, for a man leaving his wife in hotel to have a walk alone in Bangkok ...

LeClubVirgin Apr 2, 2019 2:53 pm

Originally Posted by Dav77 (Post 30956122)

be careful, the shadow of divorce is always behind the corner, for a man leaving his wife in hotel to have a walk alone in Bangkok ...

I hope you’re not speaking from experience there dav!

LeClubVirgin Apr 2, 2019 2:59 pm

^Thanks for the great replies everyone been super helpful! So decided on the plan of action, 3 nights in Bangkok - toss up between Sofitel by the park and muse. Then we will head over to Siam reap for 2 nights, fly back to Bangkok then do the temples at ayuthaya for 1/2 nights. Then back to Bangkok for last remaining 2 or so nights for chilling by the pool and stay in the other shortlist hotel we didn’t stay in the first Bangkok session ;)
much appreciated.

martin_paris Apr 2, 2019 5:25 pm

That sound's great ! If you haven't booked yet I would recommend shortening Ayutthaya to 1 night and add that night in Siam Reap. 3 nights won't be too much and it matches the temple 3 days pass ;-) I would also do Ayutthaya before Siam Reap. There are different but Siam Reap is just in such a different league that you could end up being disappointed if you visit Siam Reap first.

Last but not least you haven't mentioned when you will be traveling but it will be getting very hot in the coming weeks in Cambodia and Thailand. Keep that in mind if you aren't used to the hot and humid weather as it will definitely slow you down !

Enjoy your trip

drjeffrock Apr 2, 2019 7:53 pm

LeClubVirgin, have a great time! I am also an Asia n00b, and going to Thailand and Cambodia for the first time later this year. I decided to stay at SO Sofitel in BKK and Sofitel Angkor Phokeethra in Siem Reap.

Thanks to all the posters in this thread, there's some great info here!

gilbertaue Apr 2, 2019 9:18 pm

Originally Posted by LeClubVirgin (Post 30957737)

I hope you’re not speaking from experience there dav!

Dav77 speaks of many experiences. He's quite colourful :D

Goldorak Apr 3, 2019 12:12 am

Originally Posted by martin_paris (Post 30958232)
That sound's great ! If you haven't booked yet I would recommend shortening Ayutthaya to 1 night and add that night in Siam Reap. 3 nights won't be too much and it matches the temple 3 days pass ;-) I would also do Ayutthaya before Siam Reap. There are different but Siam Reap is just in such a different league that you could end up being disappointed if you visit Siam Reap first.

Fully agree with you. 3 nights in REP is a strict minimum and OP can stay at the the beautiful Sofitel Angkor ^ :)

Dav77 Apr 3, 2019 1:34 am

Originally Posted by martin_paris (Post 30958232)

Last but not least you haven't mentioned when you will be traveling but it will be getting very hot in the coming weeks in Cambodia and Thailand. Keep that in mind if you aren't used to the hot and humid weather as it will definitely slow you down !

Enjoy your trip

completely agree. To visit Ayutthaya after Siam Reip is like I come back at home after have spent a weekend with Clara Morgane ... 😃