Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Tourists in Saudi 'want to be able to drink' says AccorHotels CEO

Old Mar 18, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium

Speaking to Arabian Business, Sébastien Bazin said the kingdom will need to make certain exceptions for tourists in order to attract visitors to the country.
“… a destination means people want to live. They want to have fun. They want to be able to enjoy music. They may want to be able to drink. Maybe the [Saudi] government in place will allow it only in certain destinations...NEOM is one of the examples of what they will be exempting from many local rules,” the CEO said.

https://www.arabianbusiness.com/trav...ccorhotels-ceo
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 9:05 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Currently alcohol is allowed or at least tolerated in foreign embassies, right? And people wear typical western dress, maybe somewhat modest, in foreign compounds?

Is KSA creating resort communities that are not available to citizens (and certain residents) as guests in any form, just as employees? That would seem very different from what I understand to be the situation in parts of the UAE with many foreign expats being able to get alcohol permits and foreign guests being able to consume alcohol in major hotels (which seems to include local hotels as well as foreign chains), although of course at high prices.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 10:56 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Girls just want to have fun (cit. C.Lauper) and men just want to have one beer (cit. S.Bazin)
starflyergold likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 11:00 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Well on that I agree with Bazin. Loosening the booze restrictions alone though will not encourage tourism to Saudi.
remymartin likes this.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 12:32 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Relaxing the alcohol restrictions would help encourage tourism in Saudi Arabia. A lot of people leave Saudi Arabia to go get boozed-up, amongst other things, in neighboring countries.

Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
Currently alcohol is allowed or at least tolerated in foreign embassies, right? And people wear typical western dress, maybe somewhat modest, in foreign compounds?

Is KSA creating resort communities that are not available to citizens (and certain residents) as guests in any form, just as employees?
Yes, yes and that seems to be in part the plan.

There is also a lot of alcohol consumed by the members of the Saudi royal family. Most such males get away with it unless and until they rub a more senior royal the wrong way.
Old Mar 18, 2019, 1:11 pm

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Except for alcohol, it’s a great new to know Saudi Arabia since last year is changing mentality on tourism

there are still to many beautiful countries in the world unfortunately now “closed” to tourism, due to many and different (and sad) issues.

I’m sure is a dream for a lot of people to visit one time in life marvellous places like La Mecca, independently from religious purposes. I hope one day it will be possible.

For now, it’s still a good conquest for all (tourists or just simple world citizens) to be allowed to visit Saudi Arabia.

Old Mar 18, 2019, 3:27 pm

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Maybe Accor can start by introduce apple cider to their property in KSA
Dav77, gilbertaue and Goldorak like this.
Old Mar 24, 2019, 2:23 pm

Programs: A3 *G, Hertz PC, Accor Platinum, IHG Platinum, occasionally AS, LM, BA/Avios, Bonvoy.
Be nice if they'd alcohol to the Novotel Sarajevo and the Mercure Lisboa Almada! Caught out by both this year. Mocktails just don't cut it for me!
Old Mar 24, 2019, 3:54 pm

So..people travel to a DRY country...intentionally, and knowing that to be the case.. then whine because they can't get a drink? Am I out of step here in thinking that is a bit..odd?
nancypants and camsean like this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:50 am

Programs: Bonvoy :Ambassador , ALL :Diamond, Skywards :Silver, Krisflyer :Silver
Agreed! ... alcoholic drink (non alcoholic apple cider excluded) should not become obstacle to enjoy nice hotel.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Mar 25, 2019, 2:51 am
Suspended

Programs: BA
Originally Posted by trooper
So..people travel to a DRY country...intentionally, and knowing that to be the case.. then whine because they can't get a drink? Am I out of step here in thinking that is a bit..odd?
No, it's just a reading comprehension fail on your part. Basically, Accor's CEO is suggesting that loosening the alcohol ban would generate incremental business for the tourism industry in Saudi Arabia.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.