Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ibis Zurich City West - Switzerland

Search this Thread

Old Mar 6, 2019, 10:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Hilton Honors, Marriott Bonvoy, Accor, Hyatt, (Former IHG Ambassador)
ibis Zurich City West - Switzerland

ibis Zurich City West Hotel

Address:
Schiffbaustrasse 11
8005 ZURICH - SWITZERLAND

Official website:
https://www.accorhotels.com/gb/hotel...st/index.shtml

Hotel review:

Stayed here recently and was not impressed. The ibis is inside a very large building which also includes a Novotel and an ibis budget...all with seperate entrances. Paid about 120 CHF on a quiet Sunday night without breakfast. Maybe I have been somewhat spoiled by the quality of the normal ibis hotels across Asia, but this property seemed disappointing even for ibis standards. The room was small, old and tired, and there was hardly anything in it. No kettle for boiling water, no mini fridge, no mineral water, no garbage/rubbish can except in the bathroom...nothing really apart from the bed and TV. The bathroom especially looked very old and dated. A rennovation/refrusbishment seems quite overdue. There is also sometimes noise from people passing through the large square just outside the entrance on weekends, as I think it's nearby to some bars or other places where people go drinking and/or get drunk and become loud.

If I was paying 70CHF to 90CHF I would have minded a lot less, but at 120CHF on a Sunday night (without breakfast), this seemed way too expensive for a hotel of this category and with the issues mentioned above. For 120CHF a night, you get a lot better hotel wise on a Sunday night in Zurich. I have stayed at the Zurich Sheraton on weekends in the past (Address: Pfingstweid-strasse 100) which is in the same area as this ibis (1 tram stop away) and paid only about 15/25CHF more than this ibis and the difference is like day and night. Big rooms, fully furnished, mineral water and kettle in room, large bathroom, walk in shower...everything clean and modern. A true 4 star hotel. I have also stayed at the Crowne Plaza Zurich in another part of town, which also charges very similiar prices to the ibis on weekends, and it is also better than this ibis.

Conclusion, be careful when booking this hotel...you really are getting a bare bones skeleton of an empty small room, which hasn't been rennovated in decades.

Location is fine. Hotel is not central, but is located within the inner transport zone (110 zone) of Zurich, so if you buy a day ticket for the inner city you can go back & forth here without paying extra. Tram stop is just around the corner and goes/comes directly to/from Zurich main train station (Journey takes about 15 minutes and covers around 10 tram stops). To get here from the main train station take tram number 4 in the direction of "Bahnhof Altstetten Nord" and get out at the station called "Technopark". As far as I could see tram number 4 is the only tram that goes this route.

S-bahn train station Zurich Hardbrucke is also somewhere nearby. It's a station where 9 different S-bahn lines pass through including line S16 which goes to/from the airport. I did not attempt walking to Hardbrucke station so I have no idea how long it would take, or it's feasible to do with luggage. If you are going to/coming from the airport, I would still recommend going through Zurich main train station first, for an easier journey (especially wth luggage). Also, from the main train station you'll have many more trains going to/from the airport, than the one single S-bahn line going from Hardbrucke.

Last edited by est-gratuite; Mar 6, 2019 at 10:37 am

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.