Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Resort / resident fees at Accor -an unwelcome development

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resort / resident fees at Accor -an unwelcome development

Search this Thread

Old Mar 22, 2019, 12:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
An interesting Wikipedia page to read about those fees
https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resort_fee
hotel_user likes this.
Old Mar 28, 2019, 1:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Today in the headline news of Flyertalk:
https://www.flyertalk.com/articles/s...sort-fees.html
Old Jun 3, 2019, 3:15 pm

Programs: UA LTG, AA LTG, Bonvoy LTP, IHG Plat, LHW Sterling
Just checked out of the Washington DC Sofitel today and was pleasantly surprised that the “resident fee” was not on my bill. Front desk person explained they do not charge Gold and Platinum members.

perhaps Goldorak made enough noise that they listened
Old Jun 3, 2019, 7:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by schriste
Just checked out of the Washington DC Sofitel today and was pleasantly surprised that the “resident fee” was not on my bill. Front desk person explained they do not charge Gold and Platinum members.

perhaps Goldorak made enough noise that they listened
Very happy to read this. I’ll try to know more, as I had indeed some discussions with Accor on this subject
starflyergold and hotel_user like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Angry "frais de service" : a new scam ?

I just found another "trap" and I am posting this here in this thread because I think we are in the same kind of problem...
As you may have seen, I recently stayed at Pullman Tokyo (I just posted my review) and, as usual, I was checking my LCAH account to see if the correct number of points have posted. As I had the feeling it was not correct (missing a few hundreds), I had to make further checks with the invoice. As too often, the hotels do not make our life easy : my invoice was only displaying the total amount, taxes included. So I went back to my booking confirmation email to see what kind of taxes we have and I just saw this (look at 1st item on the screenshot):

Which can be translated into:
Additional information : a 15% service fee is included in the price. Those fees are not eligible for points earning for LCAH members.

What is this new joke ???
Indeed, if I exclude VAT, city tax (those 2, OK no problem we know it is excluded from the calculation) and those "15% service fees", my number of points is correct. But I have the feeling I have just been robbed of 15% of my points
Any comment ?

Last edited by Goldorak; Jun 9, 2019 at 11:55 am
Old Jun 9, 2019, 2:40 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
The service charge of 10-15% is common in luxury hotel in Japan, since years.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 3:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by fransknorge
The service charge of 10-15% is common in luxury hotel in Japan, since years.
And is that a reason to not earn points on this ?
schriste and starflyergold like this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 4:21 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Ha. Well, no, it should earn points.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 9:03 am
R2

Well, the LCAH T&Cs explicitly exclude service charges from earning points so IMO it's pretty clear. IIRC, the 10% service charge collected by all hotels in Hong Kong also is excluded from earning points. Please see the relevant part from T&Cs below:

The following expenditures do not qualify for earning Points:
- taxes (notably VAT), tips, taxis, transfers to/from the hotel, service charges and other applicable charges
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by R2
Well, the LCAH T&Cs explicitly exclude service charges from earning points so IMO it's pretty clear. IIRC, the 10% service charge collected by all hotels in Hong Kong also is excluded from earning points. Please see the relevant part from T&Cs below:
Thank you for taking the time to look at this information ^ and yes, it seems pretty clear from the T&C. However, I still don't believe it is fair and justified. Why on earth an hotel should state in advance that you have a 15% fee (or whatever %) for "service" (this is rather vague). I could eventually understand in north America for restaurant bills where the service is not included and you add manually the tip you want to give. But here this is just the "basic" hotel service (no restaurant). Nexts step is what? "Your rate includes a 5% fee for the electricity you will consume in your room and this is not eligible for LCAH points earning".
As for the resident/resort fee : not acceptable IMHO
SkyteamEP likes this.
Old Jun 9, 2019, 12:41 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
It is neither "fair" nor "unfair." Rather, it is simply a business transaction under terms to which both parties have agreed.
Firsttime4me2 likes this.
Old Jul 11, 2019, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

An interesting article in Le Figaro yesterday (sorry, in French) about resident fees in Mariott hotels
Les hôtels Marriott accusés de dissimuler le prix réel de leurs chambres

A Google Trad translation:
Marriott hotels are being sued by the Washington attorney general who accuses them of concealing the real price of their rooms to customers and charging undue fees to boost their profits.

Karl Racine filed a lawsuit in local courts on Tuesday against the hotel giant, headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland. In his complaint, he claims that the hotel chain has an opaque pricing policy: concretely, it would boast an online price often very different from the amount paid by the customer when finalizing his reservation. Marriott hotels, according to the magistrate, charge the customer a "mandatory" fee called "resort fees" or "destination fees". They correspond to basic services (wi-fi, gym ...) available on the sites. It is difficult for the client to protest because these costs are included in the "taxes" section that must be paid.
"At least 189 Marriott properties around the world charge these hidden fees, which range from $ 9 to $ 95 per room per day," says the prosecutor in his complaint. "Marriott's unfair, misleading and deceptive practices and the fact that it did not disclose these charges have affected consumers," says Karl Racine. Believing that the hotel chain "has reaped hundreds of millions of dollars in profits by misleading consumers about the true price of its hotel rooms," Karl Racine demands financial compensation for "tens of thousands" of residents affected by his region.
Contacted by AFP, Marriott hotels, whose pricing policy, like that of their competitors, is in the viewfinder of the US states, said they did comment on ongoing court proceedings. "We will continue discussions with other states," said a spokesperson by email to AFP. According to the Attorney General of Washington, by being unclear about the fees he charges, Marriott is preventing consumers from "comparing the actual price of a room in a Marriott hotel with that offered by competitors." In addition to damages, Karl Racine wants the court to ask Marriott to be more "transparent" about its prices, especially at the time of booking.

Let's hope that Mariott and all other hotels having this unacceptable practice will change.
starflyergold likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 12:52 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Originally Posted by Goldorak
An interesting article in Le Figaro yesterday (sorry, in French) about resident fees in Mariott hotels
Les hôtels Marriott accusés de dissimuler le prix réel de leurs chambres

A Google Trad translation:
Marriott hotels are being sued by the Washington attorney general who accuses them of concealing the real price of their rooms to customers and charging undue fees to boost their profits.

Karl Racine filed a lawsuit in local courts on Tuesday against the hotel giant, headquartered in Bethesda, Maryland. In his complaint, he claims that the hotel chain has an opaque pricing policy: concretely, it would boast an online price often very different from the amount paid by the customer when finalizing his reservation. Marriott hotels, according to the magistrate, charge the customer a "mandatory" fee called "resort fees" or "destination fees". They correspond to basic services (wi-fi, gym ...) available on the sites. It is difficult for the client to protest because these costs are included in the "taxes" section that must be paid.
"At least 189 Marriott properties around the world charge these hidden fees, which range from $ 9 to $ 95 per room per day," says the prosecutor in his complaint. "Marriott's unfair, misleading and deceptive practices and the fact that it did not disclose these charges have affected consumers," says Karl Racine. Believing that the hotel chain "has reaped hundreds of millions of dollars in profits by misleading consumers about the true price of its hotel rooms," Karl Racine demands financial compensation for "tens of thousands" of residents affected by his region.
Contacted by AFP, Marriott hotels, whose pricing policy, like that of their competitors, is in the viewfinder of the US states, said they did comment on ongoing court proceedings. "We will continue discussions with other states," said a spokesperson by email to AFP. According to the Attorney General of Washington, by being unclear about the fees he charges, Marriott is preventing consumers from "comparing the actual price of a room in a Marriott hotel with that offered by competitors." In addition to damages, Karl Racine wants the court to ask Marriott to be more "transparent" about its prices, especially at the time of booking.

Let's hope that Mariott and all other hotels having this unacceptable practice will change.
You can access the OAG (Office of Attorney General) website for the announcement : https://oag.dc.gov/release/ag-racine...ceptive-resort
Goldorak and Firsttime4me2 like this.
Old Jul 12, 2019, 4:08 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
It is about time that this creative gauging stops. Glad to see this is receiving attention.
Goldorak and hotel_user like this.
Old Mar 8, 2020, 6:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Angry Novotel New York Times Square

just read my last experience about this fee at Novotel New York Times Square
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/32156112-post22.html

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.