Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Resort / resident fees at Accor -an unwelcome development

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Resort / resident fees at Accor -an unwelcome development

Search this Thread

Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by ryanp
As has been discussed elsewhere on FT, this is actually not a robbery of guests. In the US, resort fees are treated differently from the room rate for tax purposes: The hotel has to pay less taxes on resort fees.

Lower taxes -> lower costs of room provision -> one would expect the hotel and guests to share/split the benefit from the cost saving.

Obviously, another factor is that fees make hotel prices less transparent. Still, I think it's an oversimplification to state resort fees = robbery.
Please, you can’t be serious saying that the purpose of those fees is to treat them differently from the room rate for tax purpose ??
Those fees have just been invented and added to generate more revenues, while not changing the room rate. So they do not rank differently from other hotels in GDS or booking engines and they can play with this “fee” to steal money from you. I say steal because all those pseudo-services and benefits were included in the room rate before. And so suddenly they feel the need to charge extra for a few services/amenities. I should need to remind you that they didn’t decrease the room rate of the same amount.
And why the turndown service should be treated differently tax-wise than the regular morning housekeeping ?
So yes, it is a robbery. It is exacctly like the airlines who introduced a fuel surcharge when jet fuel was reaching very high price and maintained it as a so-called tax (carrier surcharge) when the price came back to its regular price.
nancypants likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 2:45 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
As has been discussed elsewhere on FT, this is actually not a robbery of guests. In the US, resort fees are treated differently from the room rate for tax purposes: The hotel has to pay less taxes on resort fees.

Lower taxes -> lower costs of room provision -> one would expect the hotel and guests to share/split the benefit from the cost saving.

Obviously, another factor is that fees make hotel prices less transparent. Still, I think it's an oversimplification to state resort fees = robbery.
Whatever way it's described mandatory resort/facility fees are very poor practice even if the hotels motivation for imposing it has multiple levels. I can't accept any tax saving is for the benefit the hotel and the guest. Such mandatory (often hidden in the small print) fees are simply an immoral means for hotels to increase revenue at the expense of the guest.

in the case of Fairmont Boston all the staff I spoke to seemed embarrassed at having to charge it and didn't in any way seek to justify it in a luxury hotel especially as the hotel sends an email pre arrival stating "During your stay, you will enjoy a multitude of benefits that are part of your membership, including ... complimentary high-speed internet" but on check in they have to advise you will be charged a mandatory Facility Fee for provision of "high speed internet" amongst other dubious "facilities" which Accor advertise as Platinum benefits.

To the credit of the Gold floor manger she deleted it at checkout.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:58 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Ok then, they are robbery AND tax evasion.
No need to get impertinent. It's not prohibited by law to charge resort fees so it's not tax evasion.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Please, you can’t be serious saying that the purpose of those fees is to treat them differently from the room rate for tax purpose ??

I didn't claimed that. I claimed that different revenue streams may be subject to different tax rates in the US. Particularly, manatory resort/destination fees which, formally, provide free high-speed internet, a laundry credit, spa access or the like may be subject to lower taxes.

Those fees have just been invented and added to generate more revenues, while not changing the room rate.
I didn't object that may be another intention. But it's not robbery if it's legal. The hotel is playing by the rules there. Besides, it has another, in my opinion reasonable objective there (see above).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 9:15 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by cwl
I can't accept any tax saving is for the benefit the hotel and the guest. Such mandatory (often hidden in the small print) fees are simply an immoral means for hotels to increase revenue at the expense of the guest.
First, how do revenues increase? I would assume that, initially, the total the guest has to pay remains the same, just the composition changes (lower room rate, higher resort/destination fee).

I have not seen any evidence that hotel use this to increase the total room price.

And, in fact, if there is a tax advantage to this practice, hotels' "costs" (more precisely, tax payments, but the effects are identical to a cost reduction) fall. This initially raises hotels' after-tax profits. Now standard ECON 101 logic suggests that competition will eventually lead to a lower new equilibrium price. The gains from the lower tax burden is shared between producers and consumers in the new equilibrium. Consumers' gain would be zero if and only if their demand for hotel rooms was perfectly inelastic (which it isn't).
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:08 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Given the relevance of this topic I have merged the discussion.

starflyergold
Le Club forum co-moderator

Last edited by starflyergold; Mar 3, 2019 at 11:20 pm
Old Mar 3, 2019, 11:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
But it's not robbery if it's legal. The hotel is playing by the rules there.
Nobody said it was illegal. It is clearly legal, But that’s not because a practice is legal that it is a welcome or an acceptable one for the customers.

First, how do revenues increase? I would assume that, initially, the total the guest has to pay remains the same, just the composition changes (lower room rate, higher resort/destination fee).

I have not seen any evidence that hotel use this to increase the total room price.
I have not seen any evidence that hotels have decreased their rates with the introduction of the resident/resort fee.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 8:29 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Personally, I don't think it's about raising revenue so much as it's about making advertised rates appear better than they are. Once hotels in a certain market start the practise, others follow along. Hotels 'A' and 'B' are both charging $100 per night. Then Hotel 'A' decides to drop their rate to $80 but tack on a $20 resort fee. If hotels think consumers are stupid and don't research the all-in cost and are lured in by cheap prices (and many consumers probably are like that), then Hotel 'A' appears to be cheaper for the same product and gets the business. Hotel 'B' is then forced to follow suit with their own $20 resort fee, and the cycle continues.

It's similar to when one airline in a particular market decides to unbundle fares, and charge for baggage. Pretty soon, the others all follow along for flights operating to that same market. Then it's charging for seat selection. Then whatever else they can dream up. It's a race to the bottom. Anything to make the advertised charge appear lower than the next guy.
Old Mar 10, 2019, 7:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

I am pleased to report that Sofitel Philadelphia doesn’t charge such a « whatever fee ».
Old Mar 12, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: IHG Diamond, HH Diamond, BW Diamond Select, Accor Silver, Marriott Gold
... if it's legal. The hotel is playing by the rules there.
Not legal in all jurisdictions. Separating out mandatory fees is illegal in Australia, so all users in Australia should be presented with full prices at all times including all taxes, even on search results. accorhotels.com illegally fails to do this correctly even for taxes, let alone for resort fees.
ijkh, schauschun and nancypants like this.
Old Mar 16, 2019, 3:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Angry Sofitel Chicago

Sofitel Chicago

Old Mar 16, 2019, 11:42 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Sofitel Chicago

If I have to pay a Resident fee, I want a Green Card
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:12 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by 3544quebec
If I have to pay a Resident fee, I want a Green Card
😃 unfortunately they mean “resident” at the hotel ...

it’s common use also in Italy. Each hotel, depending on region where is located, apply a resident tax (from 2 to 10 euro) per person per night.

Even if I understand the one in USA is something different.

I have booked several hotels in USA on next August and all of them apply a “resort” fee or something like that. Up to 25$ per night (saying it includes some services as beach towels, free internet etc). Quite strange for hotels/resort on the beach...where free internet is also included on the tier benefits ..

another special example: a Marriott in NYC apply 25$ daily “Destination fee” but it includes 35$ Daily credit at restaurants. While Sofitel NYC apply “only” 15.17$ resident fee (but without any credit or something similar)
Old Mar 17, 2019, 3:29 am
R2

A tax - as mandated by local law - is different from a resident or resort fee which the hotel chooses to impose on its guests. A (small) local city tax or nightly fee seems to be more and more common in lots of places in Europe and I also recently had to pay it in Dubai and Malaysia.
nancypants and Dav77 like this.
Old Mar 17, 2019, 6:19 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Do not hesitate to argue that the fee is for items and services provided as a benefit and push for it to be comp’ed.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.