Which property in Rome?

Old Feb 4, 19, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Which property in Rome?

Hi everybody,

I am looking to book a few days in Rome next Spring using some points. The Sofitel will still be under renovation. Does anyone have any recent experiences with Mercure Colosseo or Mgallery La Griffe?
Old Feb 4, 19, 10:07 pm

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Accor & Marriott Platinum (former IHG Rewards Plat Ambassador)
I've been to the Rome Mercure hotel in Piazza Bologna.
It's not central, and the rooms are a bit old fashioned.
It's a 3 to 5 min walk away from "Piazza Bologna" metro station on line B.
Old Feb 5, 19, 1:53 am

Programs: Le Club Accor Platinum, Hilton Diamond, British Airways
Originally Posted by savonarola View Post
Hi everybody,

I am looking to book a few days in Rome next Spring using some points. The Sofitel will still be under renovation. Does anyone have any recent experiences with Mercure Colosseo or Mgallery La Griffe?
Hi - stayed at the MGallery La Griffe in August 2017. Nice property with a good location close by the main railway station and Colosseum (both 10-15 mins walk in opposite directions from the hotel). Probably it's best attributes are the rooftop bar and breakfast room which is half open-aired with great views across the city. We, unfortunately, had a couple of problems, they gave another guest our room, so late at night we were awoken by people entering the room (they apologised with a bottle of wine) and at checkout, they tried to charge me €80+ for taxes when the amount (on my Accor booking form) stated €28 - it was hard work and quite sometime before I left paying the correct amount.

Would I stay there again? If the Sofitel was open, I'd certainly stay there...otherwise probably not, which is disappointing for an MGallery as I generally really like them and had really good service from many visits to others across Europe.
Old Feb 5, 19, 5:24 am

Programs: Accor Hotel, Hilton Honors, Emirates, Alitalia, Amex
MGallery is the only one Accor hotel in Rome really valuable for the price you pay.

Mercure piazza Bologna and Corso Trieste are both 3 given always stars ...

i would suggest Mercure Colosseo because really near coliseum and with private parking. But for me is overpriced for that area in Rome.
Old Feb 5, 19, 7:28 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
The renovated Sofitel looks great from the pictures online. I was going to skip them before the renovation was happening as it looked really horrible. Will probably book a luxury room for 2 or 3 nights in early October. I am tending towards staying 3 nights to give us 2 full days to explore the city. Never know may...may get the upgrade to prestige suite with balcony but luxury is nice enough.
Dav77 likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by tris06 View Post
The renovated Sofitel looks great from the pictures online. I was going to skip them before the renovation was happening as it looked really horrible. Will probably book a luxury room for 2 or 3 nights in early October. I am tending towards staying 3 nights to give us 2 full days to explore the city. Never know may...may get the upgrade to prestige suite with balcony but luxury is nice enough.
sure it will be great.

Only be careful about the dates, in Italy we know when we start a renovation...but we never know when it will end .... 😃

I would add ...if we will end, but since it’s managed by the French it will not take so long ...
hotel_user likes this.
Old Feb 5, 19, 12:53 pm
Hilton 5+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: OW Ruby (BA), *A Gold (A3), Le Club Accor Silver, HHonor Gold
I stayed in the Mercure Collosseo in 2016, I posted a mini review in the mini reviews topic. In short: it does the job and you are paying for the location.
Old Feb 5, 19, 1:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Originally Posted by fransknorge View Post
I stayed in the Mercure Collosseo in 2016, I posted a mini review in the mini reviews topic. In short: it does the job and you are paying for the location.
There is also a full review thread on this hotel. Our moderator, starflyergold, reported a good experience. I stayed a few months after him (a year ago) and I reported an average experience. Nothing really bad, but I will likely not return.
Mercure Roma Centro Colosseo

Old Feb 5, 19, 9:17 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
The Sofitel is supposed to re open by April/May 2019 so we have 5 months buffer. I think it is an extremely small possibility to be delayed that far back.
Old Feb 6, 19, 3:31 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Gold, Marriott Gold
Me and my wife stayed at the Mercure Colosseo last December and had a really good time. Fantastic location and great staff. Frankly the garishness of the MGallery rooms put me off.
Old Feb 6, 19, 3:50 am
Original Poster

Thank you for all the replies. I ended up booking the Mgallery and will post about it as soon as the stay ia completed.
Old Feb 6, 19, 9:57 am

Thank you for all the replies. I ended up booking the Mgallery and will post about it as soon as the stay ia completed.
good choice. You are some minutes walk from Trevi fountain and 1 minute walk from restaurant La Matriciana dal 1830, very nice “old style” and genuine Local food restaurant
Old Jun 22, 19, 4:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Did you complete your stay ? If yes, would you mind posting a feedback here ?
I just booked 2 nights there. I have a meeting in Rome in september on monday/tuesday and thought it would be a pity to not spend the weekend in one of my favorite city. I didn't want to return to Mercure Colosseo (and it was more expensive than the MGallery). The Sofitel was...how to say that...not cheap . So I booked the MGallery. But I have to say that those red furnitures on the pictures are really...very red
Old Jun 22, 19, 4:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
@Savonarola : never mind, I found your review in this thread. Thank you
The "Please post your Le Club Elite experiences" 2019 master thread
Old Jun 22, 19, 5:46 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak View Post
I just booked 2 nights there. I have a meeting in Rome in september on monday/tuesday and thought it would be a pity to not spend the weekend in one of my favorite city. I didn't want to return to Mercure Colosseo (and it was more expensive than the MGallery). The Sofitel was...how to say that...not cheap . So I booked the MGallery. But I have to say that those red furnitures on the pictures are really...very red
They are indeed quite red. As I said in that mini-review, the hotel is fine, it just needs some updating. And I'd choose its location over Mercure Colosseo.

Search this Thread