UA 4 X Miles On Stays Until 2/28 - A Warning!

Old Feb 2, 19, 8:00 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
UA 4 X Miles On Stays Until 2/28 - A Warning!

A few weeks ago I received an email from United Airlines offering me 4 X miles on every Accor stay until Feb. 28. I would strongly advise against accepting this offer. Usually Accor will transfer Accor points to UA miles in a 2:1 ratio, which is a horrible ratio, no one would ever accept. However 4 X miles sounded promising, so I foolishly accepted, thinking this would apply only to future Accor stays. However I then found out that my existing Accor point balance was then converted to UA miles, at the horrible 2:1 ratio. I wrote to Accor Customer Service asking them to reverse this transfer, but they refused. I explained that I never agreed to my existing Accor point balance being converted to UA miles, but they said they could not reverse this transfer. I believe the UA email is misleading at best, as it never stated that existing Accor points would be automatically converted, and has resulted in a considerable financial loss..
Old Feb 3, 19, 11:10 pm

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
However I then found out that my existing Accor point balance was then converted to UA miles, at the horrible 2:1 ratio.
I was just looking at whether to use this promo myself and am surprised nobody else mentioned this massive trap. The Accor site says "Once activated, your Rewards points are converted automatically each time you reach the number of minimum Rewards points required (if applicable)."

It appears that the other way around should work too. If you redeem your way to a near-zero balance, it should be possible to just earn the 4x bonus and keep the points in Accor, so long as you don't trip the 2000 point minimum for transfer to UA.
Old Feb 3, 19, 11:41 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 2MM
Originally Posted by Kremmen View Post
I was just looking at whether to use this promo myself and am surprised nobody else mentioned this massive trap. The Accor site says "Once activated, your Rewards points are converted automatically each time you reach the number of minimum Rewards points required (if applicable)."

It appears that the other way around should work too. If you redeem your way to a near-zero balance, it should be possible to just earn the 4x bonus and keep the points in Accor, so long as you don't trip the 2000 point minimum for transfer to UA.
Kremmen - There are a couple of points I should emphasize. 1. The UA promotion is only until Feb. 28. But your agreement to convert to UA miles continues until cancelled. 2. I recently had an Accor stay. I did indeed receive 4 X points, but they are immediately converted to UA miles. There is no minimum 2000 point transfer. My current Accor reward point balance is 1. So my plan is to cancel this automatic transfer after my final stay at an Accor hotel later this month (in February).
Old Feb 4, 19, 12:52 am

If my memory is correct, I think this was discussed really long time ago (at least a few years) and the terms was pretty much the same. I remember someone said one way to avoid it was to book a refundable stay in the future to 'keep' the points.

It was more attractive at that time because there wasn't difference between tier and rewards points at that time and this kind of promotion will first multiply the le club points and convert them into miles so this would help you to obtain/renew platinum with a stay or two easily. Since then this kind of promotion was rarely mentioned here.

And there is no minimum when auto-converting points to miles from your stay.
Old Feb 4, 19, 1:47 am

Programs: IHG Plat, Hilton Gold, Accor Gold, Marriott Silver
Originally Posted by restlessinRNO View Post
There is no minimum 2000 point transfer.
In that case, Accor's site is misleading when it says "Once activated, your Rewards points are converted automatically each time you reach the number of minimum Rewards points required (if applicable)."

I guess they've decided it's not applicable for some airlines, but not documented that anywhere. I don't mind getting the UA miles instead.

I wonder if ancillary points, such as from earning Places badges, will auto-convert when below the minimum?

Search this Thread