How to get value from Accor points?

Old Feb 1, 19, 6:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E50, AA EXP, SPG P100, Marriott Plat, Fairmont Plat
Unhappy How to get value from Accor points?

I tried searching using a few key words, and couldn't find a relevant thread. Mods, please move into an existing thread if there is one.

I have Accor Plat status thanks to being matched from Fairmont Plat status. I am trying to make sense of using Accor points. The Swissotel Stamford in Singapore is of interest, but it seems as if Accor wants to devalue your points before you can use them. Here is my example:

Cheapest room at the Stamford for 3 nights is 449.54 Euros
Exact same room using points is 558.70 Euros

So Accor requires me to pay a premium of 109 Euros to use my points. I want to use 10K Accor points = 200 Euros. So the net result is 109 Euros goes to pay the scam charge, and that leaves me with 81 Euros to apply to my room rate?

Surely I must be missing something. How can anyone think this is a good loyalty program? Or is the problem with this one particular property? Would appreciate any insight someone can give me.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 1, 19 at 9:09 am Reason: typo
Old Feb 1, 19, 7:07 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 10+ Badge 2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
I assume you did not include the local taxes in your first headline figure....
Old Feb 1, 19, 7:37 am

Programs: Accor Hotel, Hilton Honors, Emirates, Alitalia, Amex
There is not any adding fee using Accor points

when you choose a rate/room you can use your points before confirming the reservation. Rate doesn’t change

Old Feb 1, 19, 7:40 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: LeClub AccorHotels / Accor Plus (Platinum), Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by Dav77 View Post
There is not any adding fee using Accor points

when you choose a rate/room you can use your points before confirming the reservation. Rate doesn’t change

the rate doesn't change, but there are certain rates that Accor does not allow the redemption of points for, such as Red Hot Rooms or other special promo rates.
Old Feb 1, 19, 7:52 am

There exist two scenarios in which you shouldn't (or couldn't) redeem Accor points:

1.) There is a extra-points promo running which stipulates only rates not paid or part-paid with points are eligible to participate.
2.) There is a big sale going on and the ToC stipulate you can only get the sales rate when not redeeming points.

But, compared to the other big chains, those scenarios aren't all that frequent. With other chains, you may run into the situation that no award nights are available or that surge pricing for awards is in effect quite often. Not so with Accor. Usually, you should be able to redeem and get close to face value of the points. (Remember though, that no new points are earned on the part of the room rate paid for with points so you're not quite getting face value. But it's close.)
FlytheTail and margarita girl like this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:51 am

Originally Posted by Maelstrom View Post
the rate doesn't change, but there are certain rates that Accor does not allow the redemption of points for, such as Red Hot Rooms or other special promo rates.
in this case there is no possibility to compare, since you are avoid to book with points.
Old Feb 1, 19, 8:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
I assume you did not include the local taxes in your first headline figure....
Correct. In case it matters the taxes are as follows:

no points: 449.54 Euros + 79.57 Euros of taxes
with points: 558.70 Euros + 98.89 Euros of taxes
Old Feb 1, 19, 9:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by ryanp View Post
There exist two scenarios in which you shouldn't (or couldn't) redeem Accor points:

1.) There is a extra-points promo running which stipulates only rates not paid or part-paid with points are eligible to participate.
2.) There is a big sale going on and the ToC stipulate you can only get the sales rate when not redeeming points.

But, compared to the other big chains, those scenarios aren't all that frequent. With other chains, you may run into the situation that no award nights are available or that surge pricing for awards is in effect quite often. Not so with Accor. Usually, you should be able to redeem and get close to face value of the points. (Remember though, that no new points are earned on the part of the room rate paid for with points so you're not quite getting face value. But it's close.)
Guess I'm really lucky (unlucky?) then, because whenever I've tried to use my Accor points, I'm always offered a better priced option where I can't use points. In the case of the Stamford, the no points price has been available for at least 1.5 months. It has not changed at all. However, the points price has increased from 511 Euros to 558 Euros (even though the reservation I'm looking at is not until July).
Old Feb 1, 19, 9:09 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Accor is NOT a good rewards program. It is a mere poor cash back program with very poor customer service and status that copycat what happens in other chains, years after.

It is a known fact that several times rates that allow usage of Accor points are more expensive and usually not allowed for any promos.

Even stays, using points, sometimes do not post correctly.

Yes, in several ways a very poor program.
nomadic.relief and gcashin like this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 9:16 am

Programs: QF Gold, VA Plat, IHG Plat Amb, LCAH Gold, Hilton Diamond
What dates are you looking at?
Aside from some rates that are not eligible to use points, I have never seen a rate change because of the points.
starflyergold and Dav77 like this.
Old Feb 1, 19, 9:20 am

Any more expensive rate shall be imposed additional taxes, as taxes are calculated as a percentage of the base rate, itself.

If a points rate is more expensive than a non-points rate, then taxes shall also increase, that simple.

In these cases customer pays additionally on the rate and on the taxes, double burden.
Old Feb 1, 19, 9:41 am
2019 FlyerTalk Awards

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, DL 1MM/SM, HH Diam, AClub Plat, PC Plat, SPG/MR G
Unfortunately in the OP's case, the lowest rate is not eligible to use points. However, you can apply certificates to charges incurred during the stay, such as dining or a message. That's one way around this limitation.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:04 am

What dates are we talking about ?
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:11 am

Originally Posted by pb9997 View Post
Accor is NOT a good rewards program. It is a mere poor cash back program with very poor customer service and status that copycat what happens in other chains, years after.

It is a known fact that several times rates that allow usage of Accor points are more expensive and usually not allowed for any promos.

Even stays, using points, sometimes do not post correctly.

Yes, in several ways a very poor program.
i wouldn’t say that “several” times rates that allow usage of Accor points are more expensive

i wouldn’t say also that usually Accor points are not allowed for any promotion

only promotions you are not allowed to use points are private sales or red ones.

It is the same at any hotel program.

Accor don’t have also any black out date using points

I think it’s a very good program if we talk about redemption with points.
Old Feb 1, 19, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by Dav77 View Post

i wouldn’t say that “several” times rates that allow usage of Accor points are more expensive

i wouldn’t say also that usually Accor points are not allowed for any promotion

only promotions you are not allowed to use points are private sales or red ones.

It is the same at any hotel program.

Accor don’t have also any black out date using points

I think it’s a very good program if we talk about redemption with points.

I beg to differ. Just to name a few... Currently Hilton allows members to stay with points and accrue points on their "Unlimited Points" promo. 2,000 points per stay + 10,000 points on 5 stays or 10 nights, whichever is faster for the member.

Accor has not allowed members to accrue any points on their promos whenever a lone one point is included as part of the payment.

Accor does not have blackout dates because it mirrors a cash back program, that simple. But cash that can only be used on same or more expensive rates.

And customer service, when things go wrong, as they go quite often is a joke, on the customer's time and money.

To add insult to a severe injury, stays with points are allowed if and only the member is present. One cannot gift stays for third party use and redemption. And I am not even mentioning the non breakfast included for Platinums, and only one tier upgrade room, eventually from a room with one chair, to a room with two chairs.

Other programs are decades ahead.

Search this Thread