Search

How to get value from Accor points?

Search this Thread

Old Feb 6, 2019, 1:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by Firsttime4me2
The previously biannual 40% off sale allowed you to pay with points, I thin the next one is usually in June, but who knows these days
Too bad. That won't work for me. The stay is for July 11-14. There's no way I will wait until June to book.

Originally Posted by pb9997
, as you may have read the whole thread, Accor does not value their own cash back points as much as money. Other brands, such as Hilton mentioned in this thread, do allow members to fully use points and to participate in other promos. Furthermore other brands have no issues in correctly accruing nights and stays when points are used.

And the whole idea of using points as a discount on the cash rate is useless as far as I'm concerned especially if you can't even apply it to the lowest rate available. Today I redeemed 35K Marriott points for a hotel that was going to cost me US$700/night! If the hotel had been priced at its usual rate ($250), I would have thought twice about using points. Plus my points booking is fully cancellable, another huge advantage of other award programs.

Last edited by margarita girl; Feb 6, 2019 at 2:12 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 8:37 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
So how, exactly, does one know whether or not points can be used on your stay? On my last couple of stays, I went to the front desk and applied points against my bill. Does that mean the hotel does some sort of validation of your rate before they agree to redeem points? The agent I dealt with commented that it was the first time he'd ever redeemed any points for a guest. After some confusion, and after realizing I wasn't trying to redeem an FPC certificate, he went into the office to get a supervisor to start the (very cumbersome and stupid) process with the text message confirmation, and then did a manual adjustment to my bill for the amount redeemed. He did say he'd only been with the hotel on the front desk for 8 months, but it was his first ever experience with Accor points. Was there really some sort of rate validation going on during the redemption? Does Accor even have the IT skills to program that logic?

I don't recall seeing anything on the fairmont.com site when making the booking that indicated whether or not points usage would be refused or accepted. My booking was not at the full 'Daily Rate', so is there some list of promotions or discounts that are considered acceptable or not? It doesn't seem like a huge deal, since if you don't use points on one stay, you can use them on the next, but how do you know that your booking will be eligible?

Last edited by CanadaDH; Feb 6, 2019 at 8:42 pm
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:31 pm

If you are even talking about redeeming points at the hotel then you are excluding any prepaid rate/non-refundable rate and you can be pretty confident that you can redeem points against your open hotel folio charges/ room charges
Old Feb 6, 2019, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
So how, exactly, does one know whether or not points can be used on your stay? On my last couple of stays, I went to the front desk and applied points against my bill. Does that mean the hotel does some sort of validation of your rate before they agree to redeem points? The agent I dealt with commented that it was the first time he'd ever redeemed any points for a guest. After some confusion, and after realizing I wasn't trying to redeem an FPC certificate, he went into the office to get a supervisor to start the (very cumbersome and stupid) process with the text message confirmation, and then did a manual adjustment to my bill for the amount redeemed. He did say he'd only been with the hotel on the front desk for 8 months, but it was his first ever experience with Accor points. Was there really some sort of rate validation going on during the redemption? Does Accor even have the IT skills to program that logic?

I don't recall seeing anything on the fairmont.com site when making the booking that indicated whether or not points usage would be refused or accepted. My booking was not at the full 'Daily Rate', so is there some list of promotions or discounts that are considered acceptable or not? It doesn't seem like a huge deal, since if you don't use points on one stay, you can use them on the next, but how do you know that your booking will be eligible?
Thanks for bringing this up and excuse me if I'm hijacking this thread. I am very new to Accor. I have an upcoming stay this summer which has been booked for a few months and have Accor points I want to redeem during this stay. In my case, I noticed that my hotel was eligible to use points from the Accor website for the hotel. In order to avoid having to apply the points at my time of stay (it sounds like it could be cumbersome), I'm wondering if I can do something in advance to have the points attached to the reservation.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:59 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by prmetime
I'm wondering if I can do something in advance to have the points attached to the reservation.
Assuming the reservation is flexible, just cancel it and rebook, during the rebooking process the points can be used, and dont forget the mr rebates .com 8.5% discount via cash back.
prmetime likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:14 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I'm starting to believe that all these difficulties are either subject to one being an ex FPC member, or that ex FPC members just are not willing to understand the system.

Certain, sale only, lowest priced, prepaid rates don't allow you to redeem points. PRE PAID rates. So if you have a POST PAID rate, you will always be able to redeem points upon checkout.
That process is very simple, for trained staff. You get a pin code by email once they have inserted the request, they then key in that pin, and away you go.

I may be the odd one out here, but I never have had issues with AccorHotels points credit or debit.

If the thread starter wants to try, you can contact the hotel directly and see if they are willing to offer you the rate as postpaid - not unheard of.

​​​​​
prmetime likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 6:03 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by margarita girl
the whole idea of using points as a discount on the cash rate is useless as far as I'm concerned [...]
Your example above shows clearly why it can be a very good thing to have a reserve of points in a programme such as Marriott's. I'm sure no one here would disagree. But don't knock Accor's way of doing things just for being different: Accor points are a straightforward discount, at rates published in advance and dependent on status level and hotel brand, with opportunities to gain additional points through promotions.
prmetime likes this.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:43 am

Originally Posted by markis10

Assuming the reservation is flexible, just cancel it and rebook, during the rebooking process the points can be used, and dont forget the mr rebates .com 8.5% discount via cash back.
I want to be able to keep this as a refundable stay in the event I need to cancel. It appears that applying the points changes the conditions to a non-refundable reservation.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 11:32 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold, Accor Gold, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire
I want to be able to keep this as a refundable stay in the event I need to cancel. It appears that applying the points changes the conditions to a non-refundable reservation.
This has not been my experience. I have cancelled several refundable reservations on points. The points have always been credited back to my account.

CT
Old Feb 7, 2019, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by Castleford Tiger
This has not been my experience. I have cancelled several refundable reservations on points. The points have always been credited back to my account.

CT
I currently have a refundable stay booked without using my points (the points were accrued following the booking). I have tried to make a new booking using my points and it does not offer a refundable option.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 3:00 pm

I currently have a refundable stay booked without using my points (the points were accrued following the booking). I have tried to make a new booking using my points and it does not offer a refundable option.
What hotel and dates?
Old Feb 7, 2019, 4:59 pm

Mecure strasbourg centre petit June 29 - July 2
Old Feb 7, 2019, 5:47 pm

Programs: Accor Platinum, Eurobonus Gold, Flying Blue Gold
Mecure strasbourg centre petit June 29 - July 2
Seems to work for me:

Old Feb 7, 2019, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by markis10

What hotel and dates?
Originally Posted by Nander
Seems to work for me:

Thanks - I hate to change the tab from package to standard. I notice the price is the same. Where does it actually show the discount for points? Is it after I hit the "Book" button? Sorry. This is the first time using points with Accor.

Last edited by prmetime; Feb 7, 2019 at 8:08 pm Reason: adding further question.
Old Feb 7, 2019, 8:11 pm

Thanks - I hate to change the tab from package to standard. I notice the price is the same. Where does it actually show the discount for points? Is it after I hit the "Book" button? Sorry. This is the first time using points with Accor.
You will get a slider bar on the third page after you put your details in where you can allocate how much points you wish to use.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.