How to get value from Accor points?

Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:59 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Originally Posted by pb9997
I beg to differ. Just to name a few... Currently Hilton allows members to stay with points and accrue points on their "Unlimited Points" promo. 2,000 points per stay + 10,000 points on 5 stays or 10 nights, whichever is faster for the member.

Accor has not allowed members to accrue any points on their promos whenever a lone one point is included as part of the payment.

Accor does not have blackout dates because it mirrors a cash back program, that simple. But cash that can only be used on same or more expensive rates.

And customer service, when things go wrong, as they go quite often is a joke, on the customer's time and money.

To add insult to a severe injury, stays with points are allowed if and only the member is present. One cannot gift stays for third party use and redemption. And I am not even mentioning the non breakfast included for Platinums, and only one tier upgrade room, eventually from a room with one chair, to a room with two chairs.

Other programs are decades ahead.
be clear i’m Not an Accor employer or their lawyer ... 😃 I have switched to Marriots also, starting from this year, after several years of Plat loyalty... but ....I can’t be agree with you at all

“Accor has not allowed members to accrue any points on their promos whenever a lone one point is included as part of the payment”

even if you pay with some points and some cash, you earn points on part you pay by cash.

and FYI, last year, 80% of my stays were with any bonus points offer (x2, x3, X4, 1.000 pts, etc)

“But cash that can only be used on same or more expensive rates”

more expensive Rates only when there are really special rates ...like private sales

compared with other reward programs, if you book in low season at any hotel, I think the “cost” by points is lower than other hotel chains working with “fix” points x night

“stays with points are allowed if and only the member is present”

i have booked some times with points for my parents ...never had a problem.

“And I am not even mentioning the non breakfast included for Platinums”

breakfast is included for Platinum at any Asian property.

Accor have welcome drink policy and welcome gift policy . Perhaps it has not always same value as breakfast...but sometimes yes, or more

“and only one tier upgrade room, eventually from a room with one chair, to a room with two chairs”

completely disagree. I have had double / triple upgrade, even at prestige or opera Suite, booking simply a standard room.

Other programs don’t allow always upgrade at suites.

Last edited by Dav77; Feb 1, 2019 at 12:40 pm
Old Feb 1, 2019, 12:54 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
While it’s annoying that the cheaper rates don’t allow points, it’s been a feature of the program for many years. The flip side of that is Accor does not have nights where points cannot be used, so unlike most programs, a busy period still allows point redemptions should rooms be available.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K, AC MM E75, Marriott LT Ti, IHG Dia Amb, Hyatt Glob
Originally Posted by perthite
What dates are you looking at?
Aside from some rates that are not eligible to use points, I have never seen a rate change because of the points.
Jul 11-14.

Last year, I tried to use my points in Luang Prabang as the hotel rates were ridiculously expensive and if I’m not mistaken, I don’t think I could use my points at all (or maybe the rates for pts were so much higher that it made no sense, can’t remember for sure now).
PointWeasel likes this.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 8:48 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markis10
While it’s annoying that the cheaper rates don’t allow points, it’s been a feature of the program for many years. The flip side of that is Accor does not have nights where points cannot be used, so unlike most programs, a busy period still allows point redemptions should rooms be available.
“Feature” is an interesting word to use here.

I guess I was spoiled with 12 yrs of Plat status with Starwood (who did not have black out dates) and reward bookings were tremendous value when cash rates were unaffordable. Maybe Marriott will fix that. I can’t understand why Accor blocks you from using points on their best prices. To me this is a huge devaluation on the points/program.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 2:08 pm

Originally Posted by margarita girl
I guess I was spoiled with 12 yrs of Plat status with Starwood (who did not have black out dates) and reward bookings were tremendous value when cash rates were unaffordable. Maybe Marriott will fix that. I can’t understand why Accor blocks you from using points on their best prices. To me this is a huge devaluation on the points/program.
Starwood were keen to promote no blackout dates, but still had limited availability of rewards, that’s not the case here where you can use points on the last room for sale.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 6:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by markis10

Starwood were keen to promote no blackout dates, but still had limited availability of rewards, that’s not the case here where you can use points on the last room for sale.
Yes and no. Starwood guaranteed that if there was a standard room available for sale, you could redeem your points (even if that standard room cost 5X the normal price). And when a standard room wasn't available, you could redeem for a better room for a few more points. (I paid 5% more pts for an upgraded room at the Gritti Palace in Venice when there were no standard rooms available and rooms were selling for 600 Euros/night.) I would not have been interested in paying a lot more points/money for a room in high season. So the Starwood model worked great for me.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 9:25 pm

. So the Starwood model worked great for me.
18 years ago I would have said the same thing as a SPG Plat, but local properties quickly declined and I moved programs. Now the Marriott properties are once again in good numbers for where I want to go, so I hold Platinum again, but Accor have a superior footprint in many other places I visit, I just redeemed 2k for a stay in Adelaide at the Pullman leaving me to pay $30USD cash, with a lounge I am happy. And there are zero options for Marriott in the same city while Accor have 9 (+ 6 from Mantra) , IHG 2 and Hilton 1.

There is not one program that meets all my needs, which is why I hold Accor Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum and IHG Spire Ambassador, no of which are statuses obtained by cards.
margarita girl likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:45 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
And here we go again with another 7,500 points promo for 3 * 2 night stays; If customer dares to spends a lone point paying for expenses it becomes ineligible for this promo. Well done, yet again Accor !

4. Stays that are paid for partially or fully with Rewards points or with one or more Le Club AccorHotels Rewards vouchers will not be eligible to benefit from this offer, nor will they count towards offers requiring multiple stays to earn points.
sycokid likes this.
Old Feb 5, 2019, 10:55 am

Deleted.

Last edited by prmetime; Feb 5, 2019 at 1:46 pm Reason: answered own question
Old Feb 6, 2019, 2:35 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
And here we go again with another 7,500 points promo for 3 * 2 night stays; If customer dares to spends a lone point paying for expenses it becomes ineligible for this promo. Well done, yet again Accor !

4. Stays that are paid for partially or fully with Rewards points or with one or more Le Club AccorHotels Rewards vouchers will not be eligible to benefit from this offer, nor will they count towards offers requiring multiple stays to earn points.
​​​​​​.. So?

It's the way they work. It's clearly spelt out and you can decide to, or not to, take advantage of it.
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:22 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I tried to use my points in Luang Prabang as the hotel rates were ridiculously expensive [...]
That's not really the best approach with Accor, given that points have a fixed EUR value. If a non-Accor hotel is asking more than I'm prepared to pay, I'll look into whether using points or vouchers is an option. If an Accor hotel is asking more than I'm prepared to pay, I stay elsewhere.

The best value is obtained by spending points at hotels further down the Accor scale, where the rate at which points are earned is lower. @:-)
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:32 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

I really want to use up my points for a stay at the Swissotel Stamford in SIN. (I’ve decided Accor’s loyalty program doesn’t work for me.)

I’m disappointed that the rate at which you can make a points booking has gone up even though it is still 5 months away (but the cheapest cash rate is unchanged). Since I have no experience with Accor, can someone tell me if potential future sale prices are applicable to points rates or only the cheaper non-points reservations? Trying to decide if I should hold out for a sale or if I should just book now. (I don’t want to pay the premium for a flex rate as my dates are fixed,)

TIA
Old Feb 6, 2019, 3:50 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AccorPlus Plat
I really want to use up my points for a stay at the Swissotel Stamford in SIN. (I’ve decided Accor’s loyalty program doesn’t work for me.)

I’m disappointed that the rate at which you can make a points booking has gone up even though it is still 5 months away (but the cheapest cash rate is unchanged). Since I have no experience with Accor, can someone tell me if potential future sale prices are applicable to points rates or only the cheaper non-points reservations? Trying to decide if I should hold out for a sale or if I should just book now. (I don’t want to pay the premium for a flex rate as my dates are fixed,)
TIA
The previously biannual 40% off sale allowed you to pay with points, I thin the next one is usually in June, but who knows these days
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:20 am

Programs: *A Gold, OW Sapphire, SPG Gold, HH Diamond, Accor Plat
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
​​​​​​.. So?

It's the way they work. It's clearly spelt out and you can decide to, or not to, take advantage of it.
Point in case, as you may have read the whole thread, Accor does not value their own cash back points as much as money. Other brands, such as Hilton mentioned in this thread, do allow members to fully use points and to participate in other promos. Furthermore other brands have no issues in correctly accruing nights and stays when points are used.

At Accor, whenever I use points it becomes a hit/miss whether the night properly counts in my account. And after discussing the issue with Reps and Supervisors it is clear there is an issue with their IT systems, for years, that Accor does not care to sort it out, at the customer's expense.

Last edited by pb9997; Feb 6, 2019 at 10:31 am
Old Feb 6, 2019, 10:29 am

Point in case, as you may have read the whole thread, .
Good advice, always carry around a case full of points. Its safer than carrying cash
margarita girl likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.