Sofitel Harbin: a review

Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:42 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
I am currently dealing with a "DCC charge by default" issue with this hotel, and so far the hotel has blamed my bank for the excess charge associated with DCC. They appear to have no idea what DCC actually is. It looks like I might need to lodge a dispute with my bank.
If you're still at the hotel, I suggest you find out what the acquiring bank is, and maybe search and/or post in the big DCC thread; you may well find some good advince there. I've only encountered a handful of POS machines in which the opt out was completely impossible to figure out. In many cases, pressing the red "cancel" key at a precise moment (e.g. the window can be less than half a second!) is the key step.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:50 am

Great review. Thanks for posting.

I think Harbin is a really interesting city and wouldn't choose to stay out in the sticks just to get at Accor hotel.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:51 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Swiped the card in front of me.

I said, "if it asks to choose between RMB and Australian dollars, I want to choose RMB."
She said, "Yes, RMB."

I was presented with a preauthorisation slip (so it was a preauthorisation COMPLETE, and not a separate slip that would usually say DCC), that said Mark [X] transaction currency: RMB or AUD. I ticked RMB. I received a copy of the credit card slip (it only said COMPLETE).

Two days later when the charge is finalised by my bank it says "Foreign transaction fee (SC)."

I believe that the credit card terminals are likely configured by the Bank of China to use DCC by default, without giving the prompt for the guest or hotel to select the desired currency.

I am currently in contact with the hotel and they are blaming the extra charge on my bank, instead of on the DCC issue. I think they just do not understand what the DCC is.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:56 am

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
Swiped the card in front of me.

I said, "if it asks to choose between RMB and Australian dollars, I want to choose RMB."
She said, "Yes, RMB."

I was presented with a preauthorisation slip (so it was a preauthorisation COMPLETE, and not a separate slip that would usually say DCC), that said Mark [X] transaction currency: RMB or AUD. I ticked RMB. I received a copy of the credit card slip (it only said COMPLETE).

Two days later when the charge is finalised by my bank it says "Foreign transaction fee (SC)."

I believe that the credit card terminals are likely configured by the Bank of China to use DCC by default, without giving the prompt for the guest or hotel to select the desired currency.

I am currently in contact with the hotel and they are blaming the extra charge on my bank, instead of on the DCC issue. I think they just do not understand what the DCC is.
Very few people understand what DCC is. I'm guessing she simply didn't press the right button when prompted with the choice. As I mentioned, the "cancel" button is often the one you want, but "2" is also fairly common, and a little more logical (e.g. 1 for USD, 2 for CNY, as opposed to enter for USD and cancel for CNY).
Old Jan 18, 2019, 8:56 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Originally Posted by camsean
Great review. Thanks for posting.

I think Harbin is a really interesting city and wouldn't choose to stay out in the sticks just to get at Accor hotel.
The hotel is not toooo isolated. It is maybe a 15-20 car ride to the Central Street. We did not find traffic too bad in Harbin. But you're right, it is definitely not in a central location. I would definitely consider other properties in Harbin if I was to return in the future.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 9:06 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by moondog
Very few people understand what DCC is. I'm guessing she simply didn't press the right button when prompted with the choice. As I mentioned, the "cancel" button is often the one you want, but "2" is also fairly common, and a little more logical (e.g. 1 for USD, 2 for CNY, as opposed to enter for USD and cancel for CNY).
ok, I think I will try another method next month when I stay at China

I have a card that come with a bank app showing transaction in real-time. I will settle the bill using this card and check what currency it posts, if DCC happens then I will request it to be voided.

I will try to get permission to film or take photo of the card terminal screen, let's see if this can help other traveller to avoid DCC trap.
Old Jan 18, 2019, 11:34 am

Originally Posted by jiunsoh
ok, I think I will try another method next month when I stay at China

I have a card that come with a bank app showing transaction in real-time. I will settle the bill using this card and check what currency it posts, if DCC happens then I will request it to be voided.

I will try to get permission to film or take photo of the card terminal screen, let's see if this can help other traveller to avoid DCC trap.
I've honestly given up on fighting DCC 50% of the time. I used to do it based on principle, but when only 1 in 1,000 people speak up, there isn't much point. Sure, you can educate a single waitress, and your credit card issuer will give you $5, but pushback doesn't accomplish anything.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.