Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

New 2019 Accor French Welcome Drink Policy (updated in 2020)

New 2019 Accor French Welcome Drink Policy (updated in 2020)

Old Jan 11, 2019, 9:32 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: ALL Plat, HH Gold, Marriott GE
Originally Posted by hotel_user
Umm ... It is beginning to look like it could be the hotel .... as we have now received two welcome drinks from two more hotels

Hotel Mercure Le President Biarritz Centre

and

Hôtel Mercure Biarritz Centre Plaza

Well we have now stayed in 6 hotels in France, and now in Spain. It does now look like it was the hotel being not exactly honest with us this time, as nowhere else ( well one bad Ibis - platinum booking - so lets give them a view of the trash bins and road and not the quiet side of the hotel as requested - but that does not count as others have been good )

Feel bad for the poor ladies at the hotel reception, as this is what they were told, and we believed them.

The welcome drink was not good, a local bottled beer.

So, it seems that some properties stick or have changed to the "rule book", whist most, probably the better ones, offer all guests the welcome drink of whatever type they normally do. So no real change. We will not in all probability now go back to that Mercure over the penny pinching and blame on Accor, as there are other options for us in the area.
Old Jan 13, 2019, 6:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by JTCz
Well, I also noticed the remark on Accor's website as posted above, so this is certainly not just the hotel's discretion.

That said, I am relieved to learn that this is the gist of it, as seeing the thread title I was worried we are now supposed to get the hotel a drink when checking in.
This is simply because Accor HQ is facing a big resistance from the French franchisés who even have a kind of “union” representing them. They likely argued that it was costing them a lot of money and other BS, that their contract with Accor was not covering this etc et . And so Accor HQ posted that exemption officially. But, as I said before, this would be a non-sense from HQ to have an official policy for French Mercure and Novotel and another policy for all the rest
I really find pathetic that the hotels are now putting this on Accor HQ . In any hotel group, no HQ policy will ever prevent an hotel to give this or that in addition to the minimum they require. It is never forbidden to do more. Hotels just like to blame it on Accor HQ because it’s easy and they can drive away all customer complaint related to this. Like all our stupid politicians in Europe who blame EU institutions everytime for any problems that are just due to their own incompetence or lack of courage.

Last edited by Goldorak; Jan 13, 2019 at 6:27 pm
Old Mar 2, 2019, 5:47 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
Mercure Lyon Part Dieu

Booked 3 rooms for 5 peoples and got drink vouchers for all 5 of us (only for soft, beer or house wine)
Goldorak likes this.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: Accor Gold, Marriott Titanium, IHG Diamond , Amex Platinum
Slept this week 1 night at Novotel CDG airport. Had welcome drink.

*be aware this hotel is under some renovations. So quite noisy during 8.00 AM - 5.00 PM.

no problem after 5.00 PM, very quiet and well insulated also
Old Feb 20, 2020, 6:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: ►QFWP/LTG►VA WP►HyattExpl.►HiltonGold►ALL Silver
Policy has been reworded:

Other threads:

Vague elite benefit: welcome drink

Welcome drink policy
Old Feb 20, 2020, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by serfty
Policy has been reworded:

Other threads:

Vague elite benefit: welcome drink

Welcome drink policy
the French Accor hotels are world experts to have fine prints for exceptions and exclusions in ALL. Those are almost longer than the list of benefits
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:39 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
the French Accor hotels are world experts to have fine prints for exceptions and exclusions in ALL. Those are almost longer than the list of benefits
Or to put it another way (and to somewhat borrow the old slogan) you are not welcome as a loyalty member in France.

nrouxel, hotel_user and Goldorak like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:00 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Can someone explain what's the rationality behind these exceptions? Because I can't.
Someone who uses drink vouchers at a hotel bar might also order more and pay for it.
This kind of policy doesn't courage me to spend any extra at the hotel bar. I would rather bring my business elsewhere.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 2:40 am

Programs: FB Gold
Honestly, I struggle to use the welcome drink voucher. Usually when I check into the hotel, it's already late and I want to just settle my stuff in the room, then get out into town for the evening. I usually wind up on my last morning thinking 'oh m**** I need to use up my drink voucher before I check-out, let me just get a cappuccino before I leave.

But then again, I don't travel for business so perhaps the scheduling is different from you guys.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:23 am

So petty. It takes a special kind of stupid to have such a poor understanding of business that you would think this will save you money overall.

Accor are not the only option in France, Airbnb have gained a lot of my business for family stays in France. This welcome drink issue, whilst not the only factor, was the tippping point.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 4:48 am

How about 1 welcome drink per stay and x straws where x is the number of registered guests in the room?
lhrpete and wkndtraveler like this.
Old Feb 21, 2020, 7:10 am

Programs: Accor All Diamond, Marriott Bonvoy Plat, iberia Plus Plat
There are hotels in Paris where you don't even get a welcome drink so taking it into the consideration offering voucher for 1 drink is already very generous (experience of Diamond memeber )
Old Feb 21, 2020, 12:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Or to put it another way (and to somewhat borrow the old slogan) you are not welcome as a loyalty member in France.

Ahhhh, thank you Starflyergold : Louis de Funès is one of my favorite actor. When I was a kid, I was so happy when there was a movie with him on TV. And I am still now
nrouxel and starflyergold like this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 6:26 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: HHonors, Accorhotel Platinium, Nordic Choice Platinium
French Welcome Drink Policy (updated in 2021)

I just received from Accor :

"The conditions applicable in France for the welcome drink offered during each of your stays change from this Thursday, April 1, 2021 for some of our brands. Here are the details:
. ibis, ibis Styles, a free bottle of water or a non-alcoholic drink delivered by reception when you arrive at the hotel
. Mercure, Novotel, MGallery, Pullman, 1 voucher per stay offered to the ALL member, for a drink of your choice from a selection of non-alcoholic drinks, beers and wines, to be consumed at the bar or in another authorized area specified by the hotel
. Sofitel, Fairmont, Raffles, 1 voucher per stay offered to the ALL member as well as to the occupants of the room, valid on all drinks except vintages, champagne and strong alcohol"
Goldorak likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2021, 2:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by nrouxel
I just received from Accor :

"The conditions applicable in France for the welcome drink offered during each of your stays change from this Thursday, April 1, 2021 for some of our brands. Here are the details:
. ibis, ibis Styles, a free bottle of water or a non-alcoholic drink delivered by reception when you arrive at the hotel
. Mercure, Novotel, MGallery, Pullman, 1 voucher per stay offered to the ALL member, for a drink of your choice from a selection of non-alcoholic drinks, beers and wines, to be consumed at the bar or in another authorized area specified by the hotel
. Sofitel, Fairmont, Raffles, 1 voucher per stay offered to the ALL member as well as to the occupants of the room, valid on all drinks except vintages, champagne and strong alcohol"
I received it a few days ago, but didn’t have time to post the info here, so thank you for having done it. At least it is clear now, but too bad that Novotel, Mercure and even more shocking : MGallery and Pullman staying in the cheap nickel & diming behavior category.
hotel_user and SkyteamEP like this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.