Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Banff springs room recomendations

Search this Thread

Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:39 am
Original Poster

Banff springs room recomendations

Newb here. Going to Banff Springs in April for conference for 5 nights. We are staying extra night and wanting to upgrade(at our cost) to mountain view. Is Studio room in main building that much worth it than Gatehouse wing (formerly Stanley Thompson)? Extra 60$ vs 20$ per night. So is main building worth 200$?
Old Dec 28, 2018, 8:57 am

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
The BSH has a ton of different room configurations. Some are renovated, some are old. Some are large, some are small. Some overlook the golf course and rivers, others look up at various mountains, and some probably overlook the driveway. The hotel is huge. If it is the view that you're primarily after, you will want the main building, not the gatehouse, because it's higher up (in spite of the fact that main building rooms have lower floor numbers than the gatehouse floor numbers). Therefore, whatever type of room you want (Fairmont, Deluxe, suite, etc.), go for the "mountain view" descriptor and not "Gatehouse".

Is it worth $200? Only you can answer that, as "worth" is a subjective and personal thing. When I visit the BSH, I request a specific suite right down to the room number. Others are happy wherever in the building they are placed.

Edit to add... you specifically mentioned "Studio Room". If that's the room you're considering, it's more than just a view upgrade over the base room. That particular room, which is a higher category than a Deluxe Room, is more like a 'small junior suite' (but not quite as large as the various suite category rooms). You'd be getting a slightly larger room than the base Fairmont Room, in addition to a better view.
cocreg likes this.

Last edited by CanadaDH; Dec 28, 2018 at 9:13 am
Old Dec 28, 2018, 9:47 am
Original Poster

Yes Deluxe Rooms were not available and I noticed Studio rooms are larger. From what I am reading, other rooms are small. Since we are from the East Coast we want this trip to be special and have a real feel of the history surrounding this beautiful castle and surroundings. Of course we will visit area and drive up to Lake Louise which I know will be frozen.

We visited William Van Horne’s summer residence near St Andrews NB last summer where we got caught up on his vision for the Rockies and promoting the area to the world.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 10:19 am

Originally Posted by cocreg
Yes Deluxe Rooms were not available and I noticed Studio rooms are larger. From what I am reading, other rooms are small. Since we are from the East Coast we want this trip to be special and have a real feel of the history surrounding this beautiful castle and surroundings. Of course we will visit area and drive up to Lake Louise which I know will be frozen.

We visited William Van Horne’s summer residence near St Andrews NB last summer where we got caught up on his vision for the Rockies and promoting the area to the world.
There is a ton of history there. If the story of the railroad and Van Horne interests you, definitely take the hotel historical tour while you're there. I would also drive out to the Spiral Tunnels during your visit.

Have you considered booking a couple of nights up at the Chateau Lake Louise? Don't let the frozen lake deter you. It's beautiful any time of year, and there's a lot of history there too.
cocreg likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 2:49 pm
Original Poster

We did consider Chateau LL but it would be for 1 night only. Not sure I want to pack/unpack for one night. We will go up for a good part of last day for sure.

Thanks for recommendations. Will surely check it out.
Old Dec 28, 2018, 6:15 pm

I wouldn't switch hotels just for 1 night either. They're both great hotels, and I stay at them often; winter and summer. I'm sure you'll have a great time.
cocreg likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Fairmont Plat, IHG Spire, SPG Gold, WS Gold, Hertz PC, National E Elite,
I would steer clear of the Stanley Thompson wing if you want the true BSH experience. Stay in the real hotel. That is my suggestion. I would worry less about view than I would about room type. There are so many amazing views from so many common/public areas, you won't be in your room much, nor do you need to stay in a room with a view to get a view.

Don't forget to buy Lifeexperiences.ca gift certificates off of Costco.ca for $100 gift cards for the cost of $75.
cocreg likes this.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 8:52 am
Original Poster

I wanted a Deluxe Room with a view but none are available. I understand Deluxe rooms are in the main building. Deluxe rooms are available without view but as of now we have Studio room which is larger. True that we won’t be in the room as much(my wife maybe a bit more while I am attending conference).

Thanks for the tip for Lifeexperiences GC. Will check it out.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.