Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
Pullman Shanghai Skyway: review

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

Map| 3 Reviews | 67% Recommended

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

15 Dapu Road Huangpu Distric Shanghai, China CN 200023

Pullman Shanghai Skyway: review (31 Photos)

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

The hotel is very well located. It is 100 meters away from the Dapuqiao metro station on Line 9. The metro station sits underneath a shopping mall, with Tianzifang on the other side of it. The only issue with the Dapuqiao station is that it is not a transfer station, which means two interchanges are often required when traveling between the hotel and destination.

Check In

Check in at the executive lounge was efficient. The members of staff spoke good English and the manager on duty offered us refreshments while we waited. We received a drink voucher (good for two people in event of dual occupancy) and were informed we had received an upgrade from a Deluxe Room to a Junior Suite. We were informed that it was not a high floor room, which is what I requested, but had recently had new carpet and wallpaper put into the rooms as part of a soft facelift of the hotel taking place.

Room

The rooms are dated, and I was glad that we had been given a room with new carpet and wallpaper. The furnishings are still in decent condition, but it is obvious that it has been a while since a hard refurbishment. For example, the TV was a pretty old plasma with no accessible HDMI or USB ports.

I believe that our room had not been vacuumed after the last guests vacated, as I found a toothpick and a large toenail on the carpet in the living area, which was pretty disgusting. There is no lighting above the working desk, though it does have a desk lamp. The curtains are very effective at blocking out light. A capsule coffee machine is provided, with four varieties of capsules.

Floor plan.jpg

2_Living 1.jpg

3_Living 2.jpg

Coffee.jpg

The bed was comfortable and the blanket provided was quite thin, much thinner compared to the Sofitel MyBed, for example. Personally, this is great for me, because I run quite hot when I sleep, but this could be a concern for other guests who need a thicker blanket. The beds do have “bedside” power points, but they are located around the corner of the room in a little enclave. One of the outlets on the bedside needed fixing as it was loose. There is a night light switch on each side of the bed, but it is not labelled. It turns on a bedside night light on both sides of the bed, but there is no corresponding night light in the bathroom, which was a bit annoying (see next paragraph). There is no pillow menu at this hotel, which was disappointing as we found a single pillow too low but two pillows too high.

2_Bed 2.jpg

Bed 3.jpg

The bathroom has a sliding door with an opaque window. This results in a bright light shining onto the bed when someone goes to the bathroom in the middle of the night. If there was a night light in the bathroom, this would reduce this issue. The toilet is one of those Asian ones with little force on the flush. The bench was very large, which meant my girlfriend’s skin care products did not intrude upon my space – very good! There is a bath, but no bath products are available for use or purchase (like at many Sofitels). The shower was a good size but did not have a ceiling-mounted rain shower. I could not adjust the height of the showerhead, as the locking mechanism was very tightly locked. Amenities are CO Bigelow. A large basket is provided for dirty towels, which is a much better system than the usual ‘throw it on the floor or in the bath’ system.

1_Bathroom 1.jpg

Bathroom 2.jpg

1_Bathroom 3.jpg

1_Bathroom 4.jpg

1_Bathroom 5.jpg

The closet had a good number of hangers and comes with ironing board and iron and umbrella. It only has the single drawer, which is quite shallow.

2_Closet.jpg

The welcome gift was delivered to our room about fifteen minutes after we arrived.

Welcome gift - redacted.jpg

Only two bottles of water are provided in the room, and they are a tiny 330ml bottle. This is an issue for me, fortunately housekeeping were not shy about providing extra waters during turn down service and subsequent room refreshes.

Water.jpg

The Lounge

The lounge is located on the 52nd floor of the hotel. I believe it is inside what used to be a presidential suite. Most members of staff speak a high level of English. You can see the list of lounge benefits below, which was given to us on check in.

Lounge benefits.jpg

Lounge 1.jpg

Lounge 2.jpg

1_Lounge 3.jpg

Breakfast was decent, but nothing to write home about. There was an egg station, where the F&B staff (not kitchen staff) cooked to-order eggs. This was the only ‘to order’ food available (no menus as in other similar properties). A selection of six hot foods, some of which were the same each day (bacon, duck sausage, cooked beans) and some were different (frittatas or hash browns, cherry tomatoes or baked beans), pastries and breads, dim sum, cereal, cheese and cold cuts. Standard fruit juice (apple, pineapple, orange and grapefruit) was available, as well an ‘anti-ageing’ juice that was not very good. Bag and loose-leaf tea was available, and coffee, of course.

Breakfast1.jpg

Breakfast2.jpg

Breakfast3.jpg

Breakfast4.jpg

Breakfast5.jpg

Breakfast6.jpg

We only attended the Happy Hour event one of the two nights we were in house. We found the spread good enough to be our dinner. I particularly enjoyed the ‘build your own taco’ station and the Peking duck station, with a chef on hand to carve the duck to order. There was a selection of four hot foods, sushi and sashimi, salad, cheese, cold cuts, breads, desserts and fruit. There was the usual selection of soft drinks, house pour spirits, two whites (sauvignon blanc and chardonnay) and two reds (both cabernet sauvignon, one from Chile and one from France). There was no sparkling wine that I could find.

HH1.jpg

• The make your own taco station was the highlight

HH2.jpg

HH3.jpg

HH4.jpg

HH5.jpg

HH6.jpg

HH7.jpg

Service

Service in the lounge was very good. I had an unfortunate situation in the bar when using our welcome drink voucher.

As mentioned earlier, we received one drink voucher when we checked in, and I confirmed that we could have two drinks with the single drink voucher. About nine hours after we checked in, a staff member dropped off a welcome letter to our room, which contained an extra drink voucher. I assumed this drink voucher was a ‘gift’ (perhaps for our loyalty status) and, as such, we could get two drinks per voucher for a total of four drinks.

When we arrived at the bar, we presented our first drink voucher and received two drinks. There is a drinks list for silver members and a separate list for gold and platinum members. Each list contains soft drink, four beers, four cocktails/mocktails, two wines and tea and coffee (the beers, cocktails/mockatils and wine are different between the lists). We asked for one of the cocktails to be made without alcohol, as my girlfriend does not drink. The bar manager told us that without alcohol, this drink would be ‘boring’ and that we should ‘just order a juice’. I’m sorry, Mr. Bar Manager, but if we wanted to order a juice, we would order a juice. We then saw that the silver drinks menu had a mojito listed (my girlfriend likes virgin mojitos), which was not on the gold/plat list. The bar manager said that we could only order from the gold/plat menu and not from the silver menu. I can understand not permitting silver members to order from the gold/plat menu, but I am perplexed as to why the gold/plat members cannot order from the silver menu, which presumably has lower food costs for the hotel. Anyway, so we ordered two drinks from the gold/plat menu and they were delicious (both the alcoholic and the ‘boring’ non-alcoholic one).

We then attempted to use the second drink voucher for two takeaway soft drinks to the room. The same bar manager, rather rudely and presumably assuming we were trying to cheat the system, told us that we had already received two drinks and that we must have been given the two drink vouchers on arrival, intended to be used for just two welcome drinks. When I tried to explain that the second voucher had been given to us nine hours after we had arrived, so I thought it was a ‘gift’ that we could use for two drinks, we were rather rudely told that we could have ‘one’ soft drink with the voucher.

This instance with the bar manager was the only poor interaction we had with any member of staff at the hotel, so I am not letting it affect my ‘review score’ too much. I went back to the bar later that evening to explain what I was trying to do with the vouchers, however I am not sure if he fully understood what I was trying to say, as I was expressing myself in English and not Chinese. However, there was no hard feelings between us.

I would recommend to the hotel that simply having a ‘one voucher = one drink’ policy would be much simpler, taking the guesswork and confusion out of the ‘one voucher = one or two drinks, depending on occupancy’ policy.

Check Out

Check out at the lounge was slow because there was an issue with the points that I had used to partially prepay for my booking. Presumably, this deposit amount was in another window in my booking on the system and staff member doing my checkout started to charge my credit card. When I noticed what was happening, the charge had already gone through and the staff member had to call a manager downstairs and be instructed on how to process the credit card refund over the phone. The staff member was a trainee and very polite and apologetic, so I had no issues with waiting. Fortunately, I was not in a rush to leave. No complaints about the check out experience.

Overall

The hotel is in a fantastic location and the lounge is a very pleasant experience. One of the better lounges I have had the privilege to visit so far. The rooms are a bit dated and I would recommend asking for one with the new carpet and wallpaper as they definitely look better than the ones without the new work done. I would happily return to this property, though I hope a hard refurbishment is coming soon.

Pullman Shanghai Skyway: review

Would you like to write a review on the Pullman Shanghai Skyway?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jan 1, 2019, 9:55 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for the review. It seems to be a very decent hotel. And the lounge seems top.
Just a remark about your drink voucher issue : Accor should really do something about it. The number of “incidents” with drink vouchers becomes really ridiculous (this is reported in so many reviews here).
And for your other issue at checkout with your pre-payment with some points, now I recommend you to check your points balance, because on my experience, they always post wrong in this situation.
Old Jan 1, 2019, 4:15 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thanks for the review. It seems to be a very decent hotel. And the lounge seems top.
Just a remark about your drink voucher issue : Accor should really do something about it. The number of “incidents” with drink vouchers becomes really ridiculous (this is reported in so many reviews here).
And for your other issue at checkout with your pre-payment with some points, now I recommend you to check your points balance, because on my experience, they always post wrong in this situation.
Thank you for your comments, Goldorak!
If I receive a TrustYou survey from the hotel, I will give them the necessary feedback about the room and the drink voucher issue. If they don't, I'll send the Guest Relations Manager an email. That all said, the welcome drink policy at this hotel is one of the more generous ones (cocktails!) compared to other properties in Shanghai that only permit soft drink, juice and maybe beer.

I have just checked my account and I points have already been posted. Assuming that the points posted should be the total of my account after the discount using points (CNY 678), minus taxes (16.6%), then the points that I have received appear to be correct (184 points for CNY 565), according to the Accor website's points calculator.
I do have three more stays next month that I have used points for, so I will definitely keep a close eye on it, thank you for the suggestion.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:19 am
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Thanks for the review. I booked this hotel for a 5 days vacation in Shanghai over Easter and your review confirms I probably did a good choice. This seems very decent and I will make sure to ask for a refurbished room. What
What are your recommendations to travel from PVG to the hotel ?
Did you went to the gym ? If you go back to the hotel, do you mind taking a couple of pictures of it ?
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:36 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
All rooms are a bit worn. We stayed about 1 year ago. Paid extra to get the ruby suite. I can say the french suite if your willing to pay extra is nice. Ruby is fine little less worn. Views are great. And the lounge I think is the best I had been to in China. It is the old presidential suite.
Old Jan 2, 2019, 1:38 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by fransknorge
Thanks for the review. I booked this hotel for a 5 days vacation in Shanghai over Easter and your review confirms I probably did a good choice. This seems very decent and I will make sure to ask for a refurbished room. What
What are your recommendations to travel from PVG to the hotel ?
Did you went to the gym ? If you go back to the hotel, do you mind taking a couple of pictures of it ?
The lounge really is very good; as I said, it is one of the best that I have had the privilege to experience in my short stint as a platinum member. Definitely see if you can request a room that has had the new carpet and wallpaper put in. The furniture and equipment (such as the TV) are still going to be a bit old, but the new carpet and wallpaper really does make a difference.

I forgot to take pictures of the gym, but I did go down there to briefly check it out. It is not great. Like the rest of the hotel, it is a bit dated and has limited equipment. From memory, there was maybe three treadmills, two bikes, an elliptical and perhaps three or four weight machines of various varieties (I don't know what they do haha). There were some exercise mats. I think there might have been some weights, but they were very limited in number. Unfortunately, I will not be revisiting the hotel during my remaining time in Shanghai, so I cannot take the photos. The gym is open 24 hours.

For travel from PVG to the hotel, taxis are always an option, but you're likely looking at about CNY 200+ for the 45 minute-ish trip. You can take the metro from the airport (Line 2), transfering to the larger Line 2 metro carts at Guanglan Rd station before transfering to Line 9 at Century Avenue Station. This will take you all the way to the Dapuqiao station 100 meters opposite the hotel (take exit 2 out of the station and cross the intersection directly in front of the exit). This will take you approximately 1 hour 20 minutes and will cost you no more than CNY 10 per person.
fransknorge likes this.
Old Apr 18, 2019, 5:21 am

I am there now, arrived early this morning, check in granted at 8:00am with only 20 minutes to wait for the room to be ready. Upgraded from Superior to Executive room. The room is very close the one described by Maelstrom, same bathroom. Overall this is nice. I ate in the lounge this evening as I am too tired to go out. The spread is exactly like in the pictures above, very good lounge and incredible views.
Happy with the choice so far.
Maelstrom and tris06 like this.
Old Apr 26, 2019, 3:04 am

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

Pullman Shanghai Skyway (9 Photos)

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

I spend Easter vacation in Shanghai and choose the Pullman due to the good review above and its location: south of the French concession and close to a metro station.

Check In

Check-in was quick. I enquire prior to my arrival about an early check-in, which was not promised but they will do their best. I arrived at 7:50 AM at the hotel and had to wait 20 minutes for the room to get ready. 

They gave me the key, a welcome voucher as well as a leaftlet explaining the lounge benefits and opening hours. I was upgraded from a Superior room to an Executive room. 

Room

Image0014.jpgImage0015.jpgImage0016.jpgImage0017.jpgImage0018.jpg

Sorry for the state of the pictures, I took them on the last day of my stay. 

The room was large and gone through the soft renovation. It featured a desk, a sofa chair with a table, closet, tea making tools and a nespress machine with four capsule. There was only two bottles of water when I checked in but after talking with the lounge staff, I had eight every day. 

The bed was comfortable, I had good nights and the AC worked fine, it was easy to control the temperature. 

The only problem I had was the lack of pressure of the shower and the light switch being quite spread out in the room, there was no master. 

Service

Service was really good both in the restaurant, lounge and reception staff. Only one morning I was disapointed by the lounge staff: they did not serve beverages pro-actively neither proposed me eggs on order.

As Maelstrom wrote, the social hour at the lounge was good enough to make a dinner. The breakfast was also good, but significantly reduced compared to the restaurant downstair. I split and spend half of my breakfast upstairs for a more attentive service and quiet morning, and other half in the restaurant to benefit from the choice.

Finally the view from the lounge are quite stunning if the weather is good.

Image0012.jpgImage0013.jpg

Gym

The gym was basic and run down. A few treadmills, stationary bikes, elliptical bike and steps machine, plus free weights and a multi-purpose strengthening machine. 

It closed down the 23rd April until end of June for maintenance so hopefully a good facelift will be done, with new equipments. 

Image0008.jpg

Located on line 9, station Dapuqiao. Very convenient, Tianzifeng is just around the corner as well as the French concession. Time to/from PVG was 50 minutes using Maglev then line 2 then line 9.

Image0006.jpg

View of the hotel from Exit 2 of the metro station.

The SML mall is above the station and has all you need for necessities and dinner if you want to go outside close to the hotel. 

Overall

Overall this was a very good choice for sight seeing in Shanghai: a good hotel with good service and a location more relaxed than the Bund or East Nanjing. 

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 2, 2019, 11:24 am

Great review. Thanks for posting.
Old Jan 30, 2020, 4:39 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

A decent stay

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

A decent stay (2 Photos)

Pullman Shanghai Skyway

Apparently there was an issue with a large section of the review, so I'll retype it as best I can.

I recently completed another stay here. The experience was pretty much the same as it was last time, so for an in-depth review, please see previous posts in this thread.

TLDR: The rooms are comfortable, though ageing. Service is generally good, but needs work in some (already identified from previous stays) areas.

One improvement from previous reviews in this thread - four 300ml bottles of water were provided in our room, an improvement from the paltry two bottles provided in previous stays.

10_Bed 1.jpg

Loyalty Recognition - generally OK

Room upgrade - exceeded expectations. I booked a Superior room (base-level) and received a Skyway Studio (suite), which is a multi-category upgrade.

Welcome amenity - met expectations, in-line with previous stays here.

20200125_205300.jpg

Welcome drink vouchers - did not receive.

Closure of hotel facilities

Due to the coronavirus, the hotel gradually closed many of its facilities over the course of our stay.

• The Executive Lounge

Happy hour was provided in the lobby bar, with a (phone) menu of plates of small nibbles on offer. Drink service was poor. We were not offered drinks, 15mins after ordering our food. We were not offered additional drinks at the closure of the Happy Hour. A disappointing experience for what was supposed to be an Executive Lounge experience.

• The buffet restaurant

Only breakfast was served - other service periods were cancelled.

Presumably, the other restaurants in the hotel and other facilities, such as the pool, were also closed.

While I understand the reason behind the closures, whether that be actual governmental control measures or simple cost-cutting due to low occupancy, communication was poor. We only found out the Executive Lounge was closed when we went for breakfast and found a sign at the closed doors. A simple letter drop under guest's doors, explaining what was happening, would have gone a long way.

Service

Aside from the bar experience (not my first sub-par bar experience at this hotel), staff were generally attentive and friendly. The GSA at check-out did need assistance from her manager to burn ALL Rewards points at check-out, but it was only a 5-minute process that went without any issues.

Overall

Obviously, I would be in no hurry to rush back with the current coronavirus situation, but I would definitely return to the hotel. The same recurring issues really need attention (bar experience).

I believe the rooms have had new carpets installed in the past year or so, but the rooms are well due for renovation, as the furniture and equipment is getting tired and dated. The TV is especially ancient.

The bed is comfortable and gives a good night's rest, and the water is hot with good pressure. The lounge alone makes this a worthwhile choice for those booking Lounge-access rooms, or with Platinum+ status.

A decent stay

No, thank you.
Yes

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.