Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Pavilion Hotel Managed by Banyan Tree (central Kuala Lumpur)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:19 pm
Original Poster

Soft opening one week ago. I didn't stay here but just walked in through the attached Pavilion Mall entrance, and spoke to one friendly FO staff member.

Main points at the moment:

Soft opening at present, Grand Opening maybe late January

Club Lounge not yet open, probably open in January

Hotel does not yet employ a Le Club Activist/Ambassador

Easy entrance and exit via the attached big and successful Pavilion shopping mall during mall hours (10 am to 10 pm)

Five minutes walk from Banyan Tree, Pullman KLCC and Novotel, 20 minutes covered walk to Twin Towers

I got the feeling that FO staff still learning Accor systems (about 8 big hotels opened in KL this year) with a lot of staff jumping from one group to another

I forgot to ask whether their system credits nights/points automatically or they do it manually everyday

Buffet restaurant looked nice from outside

Reception and restaurant/shop on 8th floor

I didn't ask if a Stay here would count towards the new Banyan Tree badge because the guy was clearly still new to Accor (from Hyatt)

He told me that the actual Banyan Tree KL only has 55 rooms so easy to maintain the relatively high rates for KL, I suppose

This hotel has about 325 rooms with seven categories from memory
gilbertaue likes this.

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Dec 29, 2018 at 5:33 pm
Old Dec 27, 2018, 8:50 pm

Programs: Accor Plus platinium, Marriott silver, GHA platinium, Hhonors Gold, Krisflyer Silver
Nice competition for the Pullman! I think the Banyee tree have a connecting bridge from the Pavilion to the hotel. No one can use it except hotel guests and residence.
Old Jan 15, 2019, 9:09 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
anyone had a stay recently ?

branding wise ... is this Pavilion Hotel a Banyan Tree or not ? thinking of giving it a try while the 4x Accor Bonus points is running
Old Jan 15, 2019, 10:37 pm
Original Poster

I haven't stayed in this hotel but its name appears in item 4 of the T&Cs for this promotion:

4. This offer is valid for any stay completed by a member between 11/01/2019 and 14/04/2019 at any participating Banyan Tree hotel (Banyan Tree Mayakoba, Banyan Tree Sanya, Banyan Tree Seychelles, Banyan Tree Shanghai on the Bund, Banyan Tree Tianjin Riverside, Banyan Tree Bangkok, Banyan Tree Bintan, Banyan Tree Phuket, Banyan Tree Cabo Marqués, Banyan Tree Ringha, Banyan Tree Tamouda Bay, Angsana Riads Collection Morocco, Banyan Tree Chongqing Beibei, Banyan Tree Hangzhou, Banyan Tree Lijiang, Banyan Tree Lang Co Vietnam, Banyan Tree Jiuzhaigou, Banyan Tree Ungasan – Bali, Banyan Tree Vabbinfaru, Angsana Ihuru, Angsana Laguna Phuket, Angsana Lang Co Vietnam, Angsana Velavaru, Angsana Resort Bintan, Angsana Hangzhou, Banyan Tree Yangshuo, Banyan Tree Huangshan, Maison Souvannaphoum Hotel by Angsana, Banyan Tree Tengchong, Angsana Villas Resort Phuket, Cassia Phuket, Cassia Bintan, Angsana Xi'an Lintong, Angsana Zhuhai Phoenix Bay, Banyan Tree Kuala Lumpur, Banyan Tree Anji, Pavilion Hotel Kuala Lumpur Managed By Banyan Tree), and booked between 11/01/2019 and 24/02/2019.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 8:49 pm

Programs: Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Gold, Accor Gold, OW Emerald, SIXT Diamond
completed a stay here last week and do keep your expectations down ... this is definitely no Banyan Tree !

room rate was RM550 (free breakfast Opening Promo) and for KL this pushes against the JW, Ritz, Grand Hyatt ... and Westin just opposite was RM450, although the actual Banyan Tree was RM1k.

Hardware of the hotel is good (think 4-star finishing with 5-starish design) , Lobby is on the 8th floor and if there is no doorman at the dropoff (none in my case) then you'd need to pull your own luggage up ... only for them to be "helpfully" taken at reception to be sent to your room (which I later found after waiting in room you had to call for them to send it up and receptionist said to WAIT in the room as the doorman would not have the key ... may as well just tell me how much to tip ?? )

Hotel is evidently new, everything works but housekeeping could have done a better job as the thick carpets to the room and in the room were already stained and still giving out fluff. Construction dust was very obvious in corners and some of the room furniture still had manufacturer stickers on them. Furnishings abit too sparse and clinical for my liking.

Service is where this place needs real improving :
1. I requested a babycrib during booking and confirmed it at checkin that it was in the room. When I arrived it was not.
2. No problem, requested it while waiting for the luggage and an hour later still nothing (made another reminder call anyway) so we decided to go out and let the baby nap in the pram.
3. Came back closer to 6pm, crib there but unlike other BT's or 5-star hotels no baby amenities or even extra towel. The amenities are specifically mentioned in in-room Directory so I asked about this and some more towels ...
4. after half hour they got back that there didn't have the amenities but would send the towels.
5. managed to take a shower during this time, and when the towels did arrive I was properly admonished by the rudest housekeeper I've meet yet, who insisted the towels were REPLACEMENTS and she MUST take away the sets she was replacing. In fact I had to even pass her the used towel 1st before she would pass me the new set (????)

So ended up with no extra towels in the room ... and the new Towel was stained. THANKFULLY, there is a turn down service around 7pm which looked to me that they push a cart and knock on each room regardless if anyone is inside as they don't enter. Only if you open the door will you be able to get the items. This time I didn't need to do any towel swapping.

Breakfast was ok, good porridge and omelette and there is a large courtyard with waterfeature which was nice. Sampled a cocktail at Whiskey Cove, nothing special and atmosphere was a bad mix between leather sofa, RGB lights and too loud music.

Pool and gym were on rooftop, size wise both small. Sauna was good and there is suppose to be a bar up there as well but has not started operations yet.

Interestingly received an email from hotel a week later (today) which they claimed I had consumed items in the minibar and wanted to charge nearly RM100 .... ridiculous, and did it need to take them that long to check

Overall, even without the baseless followup charge, save oneself the trouble and skip this hotel with all the better choices in the area.

Last edited by wantan; Jan 27, 2019 at 9:04 pm
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you for this extremely useful mini review as I had definitely been planning to try this new KL hotel. What a disappointment. Needless to say I am far less enthusiastic now especially at the rate you quote which is, as you note, high for KL. We are paying for shopping location. I will give it a go for one night at a more reasonable rate and report back as to whether they have improved. I cannot get there or the nearby BT until April at the earliest. The housekeeping attitude and minibar billing mistake post check out are particularly concerning.
Old Jan 27, 2019, 9:17 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
If you're around there, either go for the Banyan Tree - but personally I think the Pullman is a good hotel, especially when you book one of the suites.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:23 am
IMH

Programs: BA Gold; Accor Plat; IHG Diamond-Amb; Meliá & HH & Marriott Gold
I'll be watching this thread nervously now until our non-refundable stay at this property early next year. We decided against the Pullman because of rumours in another thread that it could be leaving Accor. The Banyan Tree was far more expensive.

Maybe one of our experts will have some spare time and curate an "Accor in KL" master thread...
Old Jan 28, 2019, 12:51 am
Original Poster

It was confirmed by another FTer that Pullman Putrajaya (45 mins to 1.5 hours drive depending on traffic conditions) will leave Accor on 28 February . . . will close for four months and then reopen as a Hilton brand.

The Pullman KLCC (5 minutes walk) and Pullman Bangsar (around 20 minutes drive) will stay within Accor.

Hopefully the current problems with this hotel are (rather severe) teething problems, and the recent situation in KL of eight or nine new hotels opening in 2018 and not enough staff (including very capable staff) to go around.

Your pre-paid Stay seems to be early in 2020 so there could be big improvements by then . . . hopefully.
IMH likes this.

Last edited by Kobetraveller; Jan 28, 2019 at 1:05 am
Old Jan 28, 2019, 1:41 am
IMH

Originally Posted by Kobetraveller
The Pullman KLCC [...] will stay within Accor.
Thanks for clarifying that. I initially misread the other thread.

Hopefully the current problems with this hotel are (rather severe) teething problems [...] Your pre-paid Stay seems to be early in 2020 so there could be big improvements by then . . . hopefully.
Yes. We've booked a "Grand Oasis" for January and are optimistic despite wantan's report.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:15 am

Programs: Accor Platinum, IHG DA
Originally Posted by IMH
I'll be watching this thread nervously now until our non-refundable stay at this property early next year. We decided against the Pullman because of rumours in another thread that it could be leaving Accor. The Banyan Tree was far more expensive.

Maybe one of our experts will have some spare time and curate an "Accor in KL" master thread...
ok, i will create 1 Malaysia master thread..
IMH likes this.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 4:58 am
IMH

Originally Posted by IMH
Originally Posted by jiunsoh
ok, i will create 1 Malaysia master thread..
Thank you. That's very generous, as there will be quite a lot of work involved. I know a lot of people here will appreciate it.

When the new thread has been established, please let us know here. We can then add links from other KL threads, so that people who have contributed to those threads in the past but don't visit the Accor forum regularly will be aware of the new master thread.
Old Jan 28, 2019, 5:22 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Thank you. That's very generous, as there will be quite a lot of work involved. I know a lot of people here will appreciate it.

When the new thread has been established, please let us know here. We can then add links from other KL threads, so that people who have contributed to those threads in the past but don't visit the Accor forum regularly will be aware of the new master thread.
new malaysia thread, i created wiki post so anyone can help to update latest news to the wiki
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/acco...-malaysia.html
IMH likes this.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:17 am
IMH

Around ten days before the upcoming stay I mentioned above, the hotel sent a pre-arrival email which mentions the room type they have reserved for us -- an "Urban Studiio" rather than the "Grand Oasis" we booked. Only a single category upgrade, but having it confirmed in advance is a nice touch. ^

I'll report back in January.
Old Dec 28, 2019, 3:42 am

Originally Posted by IMH
Around ten days before the upcoming stay I mentioned above, the hotel sent a pre-arrival email which mentions the room type they have reserved for us -- an "Urban Studiio" rather than the "Grand Oasis" we booked. Only a single category upgrade, but having it confirmed in advance is a nice touch. ^

I'll report back in January.
A friendly advice, lower your expectations.
wish you a pleasant stay.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.