Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > AccorHotels | Le Club AccorHotels
Reload this Page >

Novotel Nanjing Central: A very enjoyable and comfortable stay

Old Nov 26, 18, 7:52 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: LeClub AccorHotels / Accor Plus (Platinum), Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity

Hotel Novotel Nanjing Central

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

No 68 Huaihai Road Qinghuai District Nanjing, CN 210005

Novotel Nanjing Central Suning (33 Photos)

Hi all, this is my first hotel review here on FlyerTalk. Please be gentle! I'm having some issues getting pictures to attach properly, and I'm assuming these portrait photos can't be correctly rotated?

3_20181116_165719.jpg

Fantastic location directly opposite exit 14 of the Xinjiekou metro station. There are shopping malls and a taxi rank opposite the hotel and plenty of restaurants nearby.

Check In

Upon arrival at the lobby, I found there was about eight people waiting to check-in, so I asked for directions to the Executive Lounge. The concierge walked me to the elevator and told me it was on the 20th floor. There were no guests checking in at the Lounge when I arrived, and so I was able to get attended to straight away.

20181114_180720.jpg

20181114_180724.jpg

My partner and I, due to residing in different cities, had different arrival times and we arranged separate check-in, which was not a problem. The check-in in the lounge was fast and efficient, with the staff member having a good English proficiency.

I was informed I had been upgraded (one category from a Superior Room to an Executive Room) and two drink vouchers were provided. The drink vouchers could be used for soft drink, juice, tea, coffee and ‘house cocktail’. I’m not sure what the house cocktail was, as my partner used the vouchers for a couple of juices.

No welcome letter was provided. Luckily, I had contacted the hotel prior to my stay and obtained these.

Room

I apologise in advance for taking photos after I had placed some of my things in the room.

My room was on the 19th floor, though this is actually about the 15th floor, because a number of floor numbers do not exist at this hotel (4, 13 etc). I was given a room far away from the elevators (as per my profile), which turned out to be a corner room, which I believe is very slightly larger than the normal room, as the desk sits in a little cubby. Below is the hallway, which is very wide.

20181114_180346.jpg

The welcome gift waiting for me was a disappointing fruit platter.

2_20181114_194919.jpg

It is a ‘typical’ Novotel room. It has a comfortable bed with the headboard ringed by a light, with light controls placed at the bedside. There was a small L-shaped lounge with a coffee table large enough to play 4-player Catan (haha), study desk, Samsung TV (in a cubby with no access to USB ports), closet and plenty of power points for charging your many devices (adaptors are required). There was a universal charging cable on one side of the bed wired into the wall, which was very convenient. The rooms are well maintained with no obvious signs of wear and tear.

1_20181114_173526.jpg

1_20181114_173556.jpg

1_20181114_173612.jpg

1_20181114_173638.jpg

2_20181114_173703.jpg

2_20181114_173726.jpg

The bathroom has the annoying glass window that all hotel rooms have these days, which allow someone from the bedroom to see into the shower. An electric blind is provided, however it is see through when the lighting between bedroom and bathroom and appropriately set. The toilet is a standard toilet with an electronic seat cover; I did not use any of the functions on it, but it does bidet and drying functions. The water pressure in the shower is very good, but the floor was a bit slippery and no non-slip mat was provided in the bathroom. The shower also has a small enclave to place your shampoo etc in, which is convenient. Standard Novotel amenities are provided, and there is plenty of storage space in the bathroom. Conveniently, when turning on the night light at the bedside, it also turns on some night lights in the bathroom. Again, please excuse my personal items being in some of the photos below.

20181114_173538.jpg

1_20181114_173547.jpg

20181114_174558.jpg

1_20181114_174607.jpg

1_20181114_175409.jpg

20181114_175436.jpg

The Premier rooms include complimentary four cans of soft drink and juice daily from the minibar. If I did not obtain the welcome letter from the hotel prior to my arrival, I would not have known about this perk. It was not mentioned in the room description on the website, on check-in or in any documentation in the room.

The air-conditioning temperature, like many hotels in China, is centrally controlled. Annoying.

The room had mediocre sound proofing of street noise (our room faced the street and shopping malls opposite). If you are especially sensitive to sound, request a quieter room. This is the view from our corner room, looking towards the Xinjiekou metro station and the shopping malls opposite the hotel.

1_20181114_173853.jpg

Dining

We had dinner in The Square restaurant on the day of our arrival at about 8:30pm. Despite us being one of three tables in the restaurant, we had LONG waits for our food. We ordered a pumpkin soup and a wonton noodle soup. After waiting about thirty minutes, the waiter came over to inform us that they were out of wontons – how did it take thirty minutes to become aware of this? We ended up waiting about forty-five minutes for our meals to come. The waiter did recognise we were waiting a long time and brought us a fruit plate to graze on while we waited, which was appreciated. The food was good and the cocktail and mocktail were decent, too. Correct Accor Plus discounts were given (I find many Asian hotels don’t initially give the 15% beverage discount).

We enjoyed the Happy Hour for two of the evenings we were there. The lounge can seat maybe forty people and was very quiet when we were in there. There was a small self-service alcohol station, juice, soft drink, tea and coffee available. The foods rotated each evening; some things were there both nights, and others only one of the nights. Personally, I found the hot food just OK. I could fill up on it and use it as a dinner, but it would not be overly enjoyable. The desserts were decent, though. I didn't get a photo of it, but there is also a small fridge with soft drinks in it.

20181114_180738.jpg

20181114_181318.jpg

20181114_182703.jpg

20181114_182655.jpg

1_20181114_182251.jpg

As we had booked a room-only rate, breakfast was not included in the main restaurant, but we found the lounge breakfast to be good enough, but nothing outstanding. As with the happy hour, the main items on the buffet were there every morning (bacon, roast potato, boiled eggs, sausages, steamed buns), while others were rotated each morning (such as the cooked vegetables and other eggs). While the advertised finish time for breakfast in the lounge is 10:30am, the staff usually would not start packing it down until about 10:45am and would always let you know about it before they started. Placard cards telling you what was in each shafer(sp?) were consistently incorrect.

20181114_182650.jpg

20181115_085400.jpg

20181115_085404.jpg

20181115_085407.jpg

20181115_085410.jpg

20181115_085416.jpg

20181115_085425.jpg

20181115_085429.jpg

20181115_090232.jpg

Interestingly, the elevators had information saying if you would have a good time or not at breakfast in the main restaurant, depending on the time you went.

1_20181116_112326.jpg

Facilities

We spent most of our time either in the room or the lounge, as we were unable to escape our work and studies completely. Unfortunately, we had no chance to check out the gym. There is no pool at this property.

Hotel Wi-Fi was generally OK, and comes with a built in VPN.

Service

Service was fantastic everywhere we went. The lounge staff were especially friendly.

Check Out

We enquired about late checkout the day prior to departure, which was granted immediately. We only needed a 2pm checkout.

The checkout at the Premier lounge itself was disappointing and very slow. The staff member in the Premier Lounge did not speak good English (and my Chinese is elementary at best), and my paperwork had to be rushed upstairs from the reception so my checkout could be completed (we checked in at the Lounge). I was given 2x drink vouchers on checkout in the lounge; I don't know if it was by way of apology for my slow checkout in the Lounge, but it was a nice touch. Unfortunately, I had no chance to use them, as we were running late for our train.

Overall

We would absolutely return. It was good value for money (we paid RMB 1900 for 4-nights). The room was comfortable and ticks a lot of boxes, with many small details in the design of the room that make life more convenient. The staff were friendly. The location is fantastic.

Novotel Nanjing Central Suning

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Novotel Nanjing Central?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Nov 26, 18, 7:59 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: LeClub AccorHotels / Accor Plus (Platinum), Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
This is a little awkward. Could a Mod please amend the title of the thread, so that it says the name of the hotel?

I assumed the title would be only be the title at the top of my post and that the thread title would be the hotel name.
Old Nov 26, 18, 8:22 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALLPlus Platinum (formerly known as Le Club AccorHotels), Hertz PC
Wonderful first review Maelstrom​​​​​​! You should know we're the most gentle bunch in FT!

The masters at FT still haven't seen it necessary to introduce an image rotation tool to their uploading tool. We have been asking for a long time.. But falls on deaf ears.
Maelstrom and cocoleolol like this.
Old Nov 26, 18, 11:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, UA Mileage plus, Le Club Accorhotels platinum
Congratulations for this 1st review Maelstrom and we hope to read some more from you
Maelstrom and Kobetraveller like this.
Old Nov 27, 18, 12:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Le Club Accorhotels
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Le Club Accorhotels Platinum
Originally Posted by gilbertaue View Post

The masters at FT still haven't seen it necessary to introduce an image rotation tool to their uploading tool. We have been asking for a long time.. But falls on deaf ears.
That is not quite correct. The issue has recently been raised with IB (the owners of FT) by hotel forum moderators and it is on the "to do list". When this might be resolved is in the hands of the tech gods though. As mentioned before, a work around is to save your phone pictures on the computer, open them individually and then save them again. This will resolve the issue. A bit time consuming but it works (I use this for my reviews).
Old Nov 27, 18, 12:57 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALLPlus Platinum (formerly known as Le Club AccorHotels), Hertz PC
Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
That is not quite correct. The issue has recently been raised with IB (the owners of FT) by hotel forum moderators and it is on the "to do list". When this might be resolved is in the hands of the tech gods though. As mentioned before, a work around is to save your phone pictures on the computer, open them individually and then save them again. This will resolve the issue. A bit time consuming but it works (I use this for my reviews).
Old Nov 27, 18, 1:36 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by starflyergold View Post
Thanks for the info! I went and 'slightly' cropped each of the portrait photos and resaved it and edited my original post, so all the photos should be properly orientated now.

However, I'm finding these photos are as wide as the landscape ones, and so are HUGE. Oh well, I tried.

Cheers!
gilbertaue and starflyergold like this.
Old Dec 1, 18, 7:29 am

Programs: Platinum Ambassador, SPG Gold, Krisflyer, Accor A-Card Platinum, Hilton Honours Gold, QF Bronze
Nice review. Thanks for posting. Nanjing is a very pleasant Chinese city.
Maelstrom likes this.

Search this Thread