Programs: HH D, Rad Plat
INK Hotel Amsterdam MGallery

INK Hotel Amsterdam MGallery by Sofitel

Map| 3 Reviews | 100% Recommended

Nieuwezijds Voorburgwal 67 Amsterdam, NL 1012 RE

New Chapter in story! (25 Photos)

Stayed here on a cash stay for 3 nights while attending a conference. Booked this hotel to try something new in this great city and because the rates were reasonable for a multi-night stay.

Definitely would recommend it and stay again.

The hotel is conveniently located in the city centre and close to Centraal station as well as many tourist destinations but without the noise and traffic of other locations.

You could walk to the hotel easily from Centraal, but also take the tram or metro if coming from elsewhere. There were tram stops just outside the hotel for a few lines and also Rokin and Centraal station stops for the Metro (which happened to also go to the RAI convention centre I needed every 6 minutes).

Map: (courtesy and copyright of Google Maps)

Screen Shot 2018-10-14 at 13.45.06.png

Check In

I arrived quite early and was expecting to simply drop off my bag and then come back later to check-in and get the room but was very pleasantly surprised to hear my room was ready and that I could get it immediately. (this was around 12 noon). ^ 

There is a separate check-in desk for Accor status guests and I used that desk as the other main desk was busy and was warmly greeted as a Gold member and the staff member really was kind and friendly. Again a great way to start a stay and set the tone. I was informed of the hotel amenities and asked if I wished to buy breakfast in advance (which I did) and soon on my way.

The reception is low key and really just a tressle table on the left as you enter the hotel on the ground floor with the accor status desk just behind that to the left as well.

I quite liked the design touches of the hotel (it was a former newpaper offices) and there were nods to that past everywhere in the hotel. The forecast for the coming days was always out and placed in manual typewriters for example as if it was just freshly typed. ^

The bar is to the right after check in along with the restaurant for breakfast  or evening meals. There is an indoor informal seating area after reception and an internal small courtyard outdoors for those wanting some fresh air but less city noise. Plenty of glass ceilings and windows kept the place bright and interesting to explore.

I had booked a superior room (one level up from entry) and received a two level upgrade (greatly appreciated) to an exec room (29 m2 instead of 22 m2 and some other details that can be found on the website like a wireless Bose speaker, alarm clock, etc...). I'm not sure why I received the upgrade but certainly apprecaited it and especially without having to ask for one. ^

Room

I'll let the pictures do most of the talking for the room. It was a nice boutique style room and I loved it. Enough space to not feel cramped but quirky enough to be interesting for a few days, reflecting Amsterdam in general!

The room was on the 4th floor (of 5) and facing the main street (although one could hear some tram noise during the day, the reduced frequency at night meant I didn't actually hear anything when I did come back to the room (admittedly quite late around midnight each night). The lifts require the RFID room keycard to be used to call the lift (but not to select a floor once it does appear or is called). There were two lifts and I did not see any queues during my stay for the lifts (or anywhere else for that matter).

The room layout was nice with a square footprint, excepting the stairs to get into the room. The bathroom was a bit small and two people would have to take turns or at least be in different parts of the bathroom if using it at the same time.

The room was in decent condition but some bits were starting to show a bit of age (nothing that needed maintenance yet though). The only issue I had (and reported upon leaving) was that the shower door didn't seem to stay closed and would open while inside...it didn't leak much and so wasn't a big issue but hopefully they fix that before the next guest.

I liked the Gold amenities they brought up later in the day (some drinks, the ever present waffles, a small bag of chocolates in the form of letters and a small jar of honey. ^ They additionally provide a cloth carrier bag for people to take home as a souvenir of the hotel stay that was on the bed and that was a nice touch as well.

Pictures;
IMG_3568.jpgIMG_3570.jpgIMG_3571.jpgIMG_3572.jpgIMG_3575.jpgIMG_3576.jpgIMG_3578.jpgIMG_3579.jpgIMG_3580.jpgIMG_3582.jpgIMG_3583.jpgIMG_3585.jpgIMG_3587.jpgIMG_3588.jpgIMG_3589.jpgIMG_3590.jpgIMG_3592.jpgIMG_3593.jpgIMG_3594.jpgIMG_3595.jpgIMG_3596.jpg

Dining

I ate breakfast here each day and found it great. The staff were wonderful, the food great and the variety also excellent. The majority of people were not English speaking and that seems to have brought more diversity to the food offering and quality in my view. There was plenty of hot options and eggs cooked to order (free of charge) with many cold items as well. Coffees were made by a dedicated bar staff member on a proper machine and juices were also fresh with bits and not from concentrate.

The atmosphere was relaxed in the restaurant and it was always well visited but not heaving. ^

I also had a couple of G & T's in the bar the first night I was there and tried the house cocktail using the Accor drink voucher they gave me at check in that is called the G & T Ink cocktail. It was lovely but too sweet to have more than one! They finish the cocktail off by using a old fashioned ink stylus to write a few letters or symbols into the foam with some food colouring (I'm guessing) and it was a nice touch to the history of the place. The price for a G & T with premium Gin and tonic water was a very reasonable 8 Euro IIRC (I did have a few!). ^

Pictures of the restaurant, bar area and also the fresh herb garden they used each day with the freshly prepared eggs or other dishes:

IMG_3598.jpgIMG_3599.jpgIMG_3600.jpg

Service

Service was excellent throughout the hotel with anyone I interacted with.

Turndown service was done in the room when I didn't have the DND sign up and water / chocolate provided as well. ^

Overall

Highly recommended, I'll definitey stay again and the rates were very competitive to other mid level hotels and certainly less expensive than the excellent Sofitel, however, the value for money was better here than the Sofitel in my view.

Safe travels.

New Chapter in story!

Would you like to write a review on the INK Hotel Amsterdam MGallery by Sofitel?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:26 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

INK Hotel Amsterdam, MGallery by Sofitel

A few pictures that didn't seem to make it into my review (operator error though in this case!)

Gold Welcome Amenity in room:

The INK Gin and Tonic cocktail, you can just see the 'ink' on the top of the foam. One can use the free drink voucher for this as well as the usual other drinks.

View from the bar towards the main seating area of the restaurant, quite informal really and lovely. ^

The view along the bar and you can see some of the artistic drawings of 'Amsterdam' that were commissioned by the hotel from a local artist. (also in the rooms).

There are two bigger rooms with more relaxed seating away from the bar itself for those with bigger groups or wanting more comfort to the right of the bar area.

Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:33 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Interesting review, glad to see service has improved. When I stayed there last they blocked off all the common areas for an outside event and hotel guest were left high and dry (including suspending all food options).
anniegray likes this.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:35 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by starflyergold
Interesting review, glad to see service has improved. When I stayed there last they blocked off all the common areas for an outside event and hotel guest were left high and dry (including suspending all food options).
Interesting! That would have been very unpleasant and reflects what happened to me recently at the new 'SO/ Vienna'. Indeed I did have a great experience but as we know these things can depend on the people, the events scheduled and luck...unfortunately. In any case I had a great time.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:37 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
This will seem a bit strange to ask, of all things I could ask related to your excellent review, but the bathroom amenities (shampoo etc) - are those the standard for MGallery? I don't recall seeing those at the Playford Hotel in Adelaide, but that was a long time ago, and I could be mistaken.
They seem to be the standard for Pullman hotels in China, and my girlfriend loves these (though she does prefer Le Labo offered at Fairmont).
Old Oct 14, 2018, 7:42 am
Original Poster

Not sure to be honest! Maybe someone else can answer that one for you as I can only confirm that this hotel had them in addition to the usual Pullmans (Barcelona and London I have stayed at)...IIRC the MGallery in Prague was something different so worth seeing what replies you get back from others...

Hope this helps, thanks for the kind words about the review.
Old Oct 14, 2018, 8:55 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Maelstrom
This will seem a bit strange to ask, of all things I could ask related to your excellent review, but the bathroom amenities (shampoo etc) - are those the standard for MGallery?
It appears so, I had those recently at a number of MGallery hotels (they are also standard at Pullman). Personally I am not overwhelmed but ŕ chacun son goűt
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:20 am
Original Poster

There may be exceptions as the Prague MGallery has Lanvin amenities from looking at my review about a month ago. Likely the main brand is indeed the one you like but there may be exceptions. Also be aware that Junior Suites and above may have another brand! (Here at the INK they get Molton Brown for example)
Old Oct 14, 2018, 9:32 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor, Qantas Frequent Flyer, Virgin Velocity
To me, shampoo is shampoo, but the missus definitely has preferences haha Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 14, 2018, 2:32 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Great review BotB. I want to try this hotel, but, unfortunately, I have no business reason to go there and, for personal trips, AMS has become so expensive... I am checking regularly prices for a weekend and even Ibis are often at 180 EUR/night
Old Oct 14, 2018, 3:05 pm
Original Poster

Thank you Goldorak, ^ appreciate the kind words.

Agree that AMS is fast becoming too expensive to consider both privately and for work. Most brands upper end hotels were over 400 Euro a night during the week I was there so I had to look for new places (to me)...this hotel was around 240 Euro a night with taxes (booked a week or more in advance as prepay rate without breakfast). The Hyatt Regency was also good value and I have reviewed that hotel as well (I stayed there the first night of my stay here due to pricing and to give me the extra day to secure the advance rate here).

Safe travels.
Old Nov 25, 2018, 2:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I have finally booked a stay there in march. Happy to try this property. It is expensive, but it was the same price as several Ibis or Mercure.
I booked a classic room (I believe this is the entry level).
starflyergold and BotB like this.
Old Mar 29, 2019, 5:29 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
I have finally booked a stay there in march. Happy to try this property. It is expensive, but it was the same price as several Ibis or Mercure.
I booked a classic room (I believe this is the entry level).
have you stayed here now Goldorak? What was your impression?
Old Mar 30, 2019, 1:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by BotB
have you stayed here now Goldorak? What was your impression?
Yes, I did (a week ago), but had no time yet to post my review here
But, it was a very good stay. I liked the hotel. More to come
BotB and SkyteamEP like this.
Old Mar 30, 2019, 2:29 am
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by Goldorak

Yes, I did (a week ago), but had no time yet to post my review here
But, it was a very good stay. I liked the hotel. More to come
Totally unacceptable. A week ago? You know the FT rules....

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.