Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Sofitel Chengdu Taihe

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe

5 Binjiang Middle Rd Chengdu, CN

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe (14 Photos)

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe

I only stayed two nights at this Sofitel (previously the Sofitel Wanda Chengdu). After some initial hiccups the stay turned out to be pretty decent.

1_IMG_8033.JPG

Check In

While this Sofitel has a lounge the check in for Le Club members takes place at the main reception (reason being that the lounge cannot be reached directly with the elevator, you have to walk up a set uf stairs).

Check in was swift, but again nothing was pre-prepared (annoying). I received a one category upgrade to a suite but unfortunately upon entering it was clear that this room had not been used in a while. It smelled and looked dusty and in the bathtub were a number of dead fruit flies.

Visibly annoyed I went to the lounge and demanded another room. Once the staff understood what my problem was (language issues) a manager was dispatched to show me a new room. Satisfied I accepted the new digs. Luggage was transferred by the staff.

1_IMG_8051.JPG

Room

The new room (Opera suite) was comfortable if a bit old fashioned (which is true for the entire hotel). It could do with an upgrade but was entirely serviceable. The room featured: a large living room with sofa and desk and a guest toilet and walk in closet, a bedroom with the super comfy Sofitel bed and a large mirrored bathroom with tub and shower.

IMG_8025.JPG

IMG_8027.JPG

1_IMG_8028.JPG

IMG_8029.JPG

Service

Service was ok, not great but ok. The staff were trying but all too often language proved to be a barrier. That said the lounge staff were going out of their way to call me by my name.

Dining

I only had room service at the hotel (and breakfast in the lounge, see below).

Room service was decent and well priced and offered French and Sichuan fare.

IMG_8030.JPG

Loyalty services

The welcome gift was sweets and fruit.

IMG_8026.JPG

The drinks voucher could be used for spirits (I had a G&T in the hotel bar) with no problems.

Lounge

The lounge at the top floor (strangely not accessible with the evelator) serves evening drinks and breakfast. The staff were friendly and service was decent. At breakfast they offer a full buffet and eggs to order. The evening selection included a hot and cold buffet with plenty of Sichuan choices. The highlight however was the desert area (yum).

IMG_8023.JPG

IMG_8022.JPG

For whatever reason it was impossible to get a G&T in the hotel with a slice of lime....

1_IMG_8024.JPG

IMG_8044.JPG

IMG_8046.JPG

IMG_8053.JPG

The hotel is centrally located and approximately 20 minutes from the airport. Taxis and DiDi cars are easily available.

Overall

Overall this was a decent stay, once I got over the initial bad welcome. While this should not have happened service recovery was acceptable. The rate was incredibly low so taking this into account it was good value for money. This Sofitel is by no stretch of the imagination at the top end and could do with an upgrade but it was a pleasant stay in the end.

I would consider this hotel again.

Sofitel Chengdu Taihe

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Chengdu Taihe ?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Aug 21, 2018, 9:10 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Dynasty Frequent Flyer (Elite Plus),Accor Platinum
Yes it is a great hotel for the price. If booking the prestige suite you can usually pay as low as 100-110USD per night after taxes. The hotel does need a renovation and for me the Opera suite is still in good condition but the other rooms/suites are just boring/dated in design.

The food for breakfast downstairs and in the lounge is a little bit on the low quality side but again I would expect that compared to say the Sofitel Hangzhou.

I also see the Fairmont has come down much in price in Chengdu (looks like around 130USD for the lowest rooms) so while next time I might still go to Sofitel I am tempted to try them as well.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 7:27 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I highly recommend the Fairmont. I have not stayed at the Sofitel to compare first hand but based on the useful review from @starflyergold and the pictures, the Fairmont seems several notches above. If the price difference remains modest and if location of the Fairmont is not a deal breaker for the specific purpose of a future trip to Chengdu, I do not think I will try the Sofitel to save a few dollars.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.