Wiki Posts
Search

Gold status perks

Search this Thread

Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:02 am
Original Poster

Gold status perks

Hi all

Quick question on the benefit of the gold status - I am guessing that is the status you must have at the time of the stay, not at the time of booking?

I am currently at the lowest status level, but could get my way up to Accor Gold via signing up for a credit card a month or so before my trip. I am thinking of making the booking over the net few weeks so just wanted to make sure that the gold perks will be there when I do stay at the hotels.

Also, the discount for Accord members for booking direct, I presume is not tiered by rank / status?

Thanks
Old Jul 17, 2018, 12:05 am

To your first question: yes, the status at the time of your check-in is relevant.
Old Jul 17, 2018, 2:33 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Discount is always there for members regardless the status

To be honest, gold perks aren't that big deal. Room upgrade and welcome gift is a hit and miss, it depends on hotel generosity. For example, last week stay I got 2 apples, some peanuts, football keychain (cause of WC?) and hand writing card for welcome gift, though at the moment I'm staying at another Novotel, into my 4th night and still haven't seen my welcome gift. Don't they always give that to gold member though? It's nothing much but I collect the card
Old Jul 18, 2018, 2:11 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Juntima
Discount is always there for members regardless the status

To be honest, gold perks aren't that big deal. Room upgrade and welcome gift is a hit and miss, it depends on hotel generosity. For example, last week stay I got 2 apples, some peanuts, football keychain (cause of WC?) and hand writing card for welcome gift, though at the moment I'm staying at another Novotel, into my 4th night and still haven't seen my welcome gift. Don't they always give that to gold member though? It's nothing much but I collect the card
Didn't you get the drink vouchers? But as you said, room upgrades (welcome) and welcome gift (don't care much for) are hit and miss.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 4:29 am

Programs: BA & Accor Gold | Hilton Diamond
It is worth noting that the Gold benefits are the same as Platinum unless the property has a lounge. My experience of Gold has been mostly good - receiving room upgrades on all but a couple of occasions (or at ibis ) and have received some good welcome gifts. I used to be Platinum and I can honestly say that the room upgrades haven't been any less forthcoming as a Gold - I have even been upgraded up two or three levels (sometimes to a suite!) a few times as Gold. The drinks vouchers - especially at the bars of the more expensive properties - are worth quite a bit. The other thing to consider, is whether the accor points are worth anything to you as the gold earning rate is much better than classic and effectively acts as a greater rebate on your stay.
wkndtraveler likes this.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 11:50 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
deleted my post.
Old Jul 18, 2018, 12:13 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor Diamond, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Platinum, SQ Gold, Qatar Platinum
Originally Posted by RJ77
Didn't you get the drink vouchers? But as you said, room upgrades (welcome) and welcome gift (don't care much for) are hit and miss.
I did get drink voucher, but not welcome gift/amenity. Usually it's some snacks and hand writing card, nothing much, but when I don't get it I feel like the hotel forgot about me. Sad...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 5:12 pm

Programs: FB Platinum
They did not forget, they are just cheap; maybe even tired of Accor policies...
Old Jul 18, 2018, 9:42 pm
Original Poster

Thanks guys - I think the cheapest way for me to get gold is to pay 90 EUR on Ibis business club or something like that. So am hoping to get the room upgrades at least a few times to make it worthwhile, and maybe some leniency for late check out

The welcome gift will just be a bonus
Old Jul 19, 2018, 12:54 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by shockrave
Hi all

Quick question on the benefit of the gold status - I am guessing that is the status you must have at the time of the stay, not at the time of booking?

I am currently at the lowest status level, but could get my way up to Accor Gold via signing up for a credit card a month or so before my trip. I am thinking of making the booking over the net few weeks so just wanted to make sure that the gold perks will be there when I do stay at the hotels.

Also, the discount for Accord members for booking direct, I presume is not tiered by rank / status?

Thanks
Are there still credit card sign up options?
Old Jul 19, 2018, 1:06 am
Original Poster

Amex Platinum I think has a bunch of gold status at a lot of hotel chains - they just upped the annual fee so it is even more expensive at $1,450
Old Jul 19, 2018, 4:39 am
Accor 10+ BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: Accor ALL Platinum
Accor doesn't cooperate with credit cards any longer. In my country, Amex Platinum comes with these hotel loyalty cards (and after a quick search it seems similar to other countries):

- HHonors Gold
- MeliáRewards Gold
- Radisson Rewards Gold
- Shangri-La Golden Circle Jade
- SPG Gold
Old Jul 19, 2018, 7:16 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Juntima
I did get drink voucher, but not welcome gift/amenity. Usually it's some snacks and hand writing card, nothing much, but when I don't get it I feel like the hotel forgot about me. Sad...
I think welcome amenities are always a hit and miss across all hotel chains. Some properties do them better than the others. I don't care much for them.
Old Jul 20, 2018, 2:27 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by RJ77
I think welcome amenities are always a hit and miss across all hotel chains. Some properties do them better than the others. I don't care much for them.
It is just kind of amusing to open room and see if there is a card or not. Part of the fun
Currently at another accor hotel and got a printed card, not hand writing, and that is fine. Upgrades are more important of course
Old Jul 24, 2018, 12:47 am

Originally Posted by wkndtraveler
Accor doesn't cooperate with credit cards any longer.
Amex Platinum Charge has reintroduced Accor Plus to its program in Australia , but only comes with silver status now

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.