Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Fairmonts Sirru Fen Fushi opens in the Maldives

Fairmonts Sirru Fen Fushi opens in the Maldives

Old May 4, 2018, 8:12 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Occasional RTW club
Originally Posted by SOWK
I emailed the hotel last week about certificate use, particularly free-night certificates, and I received a response from the reservations manager saying:

We are delighted to inform you that, all the privileges of the Fairmont Club Members are same applicable in Fairmont Maldives, Sirru Fen Fushi as well.

I'm curious where you heard no certificates were allowed? I suspect this could be mis-information, but I'm staying cautiously optimistic. Right now I'm planning to burn our last 3 free-night certificates at the Grand Del Mar, but I may have to change those plans....
I just phoned FPC and they said no.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:22 am

PSA:
I am currently at the Fairmont Maldives and I can confirm that FPC benefits/status and certificates are not honored here.

I was told by the Guest Experience Manager that the property is currently not listed on the FPC website and that they do not have access to FPC information at this time. I am not sure why this is the case and it has made quite a disappointing trip.

The hotel just opened for a month and they do not have bikes, fairmont fit, mosquito nets, and rain covers for the buggies. A few facilities and amenities are also closed, if you plan to visit in the next 3 months contact the hotel to confirm what is available. The website is not up to date and/or accurate.

*There is also a luggage limit for the flight from Male to the island of 25kg/pax that is including hand carry luggage. As I flown in on first class after a trip around Asia I came overweight of about 87kg and was charged close to $500 USD. They do not tell you this before hand.
Old May 7, 2018, 12:03 pm

Programs: Aeroplan, Fairmont Plat, SPG Gold, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by Pseudo Nim

I just phoned FPC and they said no.
Rude! I probably got a rogue employee who didn’t know. I’ve received a couple of requests for the email - here’s the screenshot of the response. My original email read as follows:

My partner and I are in the early stages of planning our Maldives holiday and were surprised to learn Fairmont had opened a property - looks absolutely breathtaking!

We are both Platinum in the Fairmont President's Club, and wanted to inquire about certificate use.

Does the property currently accept room upgrade, suite upgrade, or free-night certificates through the Fairmont President's Club?

I look forward to your response,

Tyler
​​​​​​​

Last edited by SOWK; May 7, 2018 at 12:25 pm
Old May 7, 2018, 12:16 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Air Canada, BA Executive Club, Accor / Fairmont Platinum, SPG Gold, Marriott
Conde Nast just published their review of the resort

https://www.cntravellerme.com/indian...irru-fen-fushi
Old May 7, 2018, 8:30 pm

To those looking to take advantage of the 20% off Fairmont Gift Card offer to use at this property, please be aware that they do not have the system in place to redeem them. I am trying to redeem about $1600 USD of gift cards here and they are telling me that they need to attempt to contact corporate to manually redeem it. I have not been guaranteed that this will even be possible, will keep you guys updated!

Seems like the staff here are first time Fairmont employees and are not aware of normal procedures.
Old May 7, 2018, 9:01 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Wow. Sounds like they took bookings based on a planned opening date, fell behind schedule and rushed the opening before they were ready. Not good.

As for the luggage... you were 87 Kg over the 25 Kg per person limit? I thought I travelled heavy, but my back hurts just thinking about carting that much luggage around.
Old May 8, 2018, 1:00 am

Originally Posted by CanadaDH
Wow. Sounds like they took bookings based on a planned opening date, fell behind schedule and rushed the opening before they were ready. Not good.

As for the luggage... you were 87 Kg over the 25 Kg per person limit? I thought I travelled heavy, but my back hurts just thinking about carting that much luggage around.
Yeah we've been travelling for the past few weeks and bought a ton of souvenirs and snacks to take home on top of our clothing for 3 weeks. Yes, the hotel just doesn't seem ready to take on guests. We just toured the rest of the facilities and there's a lot of construction still going on. After speaking with the resort manager, he said they had their soft opening Feb 1st which means it's been more than 3 months and a large portion of their resort is still not ready.

Additional update:

So, the Resort Manager Michiel Lugt spoke to us this morning and explained that the hotel was previously a non-fairmont hotel that opened in February. They recently just got the Fairmont name and are in the process of updating systems, processes, facilities to be Fairmont standard. He had kindly did the right thing to take care of my close to $500 overweight luggage charge on the flight to the island, and promise to accept the gift cards. He re-itterarted that FPC benefits and certificates will be honoured at the property. I will be going shortly to the Willow Stream spa to redeem my certificates. However, the fight with the property's management is not acceptable, we came here to relax and enjoy the Maldivian waters and beaches while enjoying the last of our FPC status and benefits but ended up spending hours just trying to use them.
Old May 8, 2018, 4:32 pm

Programs: Accor ALL Diamond, AC Aeroplan 25K, Nexus/GE
Originally Posted by Jeffuy
So, the Resort Manager Michiel Lugt spoke to us this morning and explained that the hotel was previously a non-fairmont hotel that opened in February. They recently just got the Fairmont name and are in the process of updating systems, processes, facilities to be Fairmont standard. He had kindly did the right thing to take care of my close to $500 overweight luggage charge on the flight to the island, and promise to accept the gift cards. He re-itterarted that FPC benefits and certificates will be honoured at the property. I will be going shortly to the Willow Stream spa to redeem my certificates. However, the fight with the property's management is not acceptable, we came here to relax and enjoy the Maldivian waters and beaches while enjoying the last of our FPC status and benefits but ended up spending hours just trying to use them.
Now that explains why none of us had ever heard of this place before this post came out. Normally, we see properties 'in development' for a number of years before. But, that conversion was very poorly done. Before they change the branding, they need to get all systems properly in place and staff properly trained. Not understanding anything about the loyalty program or even having the ability to process a chain-branded gift card is a pretty big miss.

I wonder if these bargain opening rates they are offering are done specifically because many of the facilities are still under construction. If the facilities are under construction and unavailable, charging full price would be ridiculous. On the other hand, enticing a big crowd of travelers to a newly opened hotel with low rates, and then having them see it in a state of disarray can cause a lot of bad perceptions. As much as it costs them each day they remain closed, I think they really should have stayed closed until they were well and truly ready.
Old Sep 30, 2018, 2:49 pm
FSU

Just saw the underwater sculpture garden here is being destroyed by the government.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/travel/new...cid=spartanntp
Old Mar 2, 2019, 9:22 pm

We recently stayed here for a week and loved the owv on the sunset side with a gorgeous lagoon! The sunrise side had a lot of wind on the highly windy days so I'm happy we didn't stay there. The swimming pool and beach are a fun touch. It was our first time on this atoll and we found it very nice and the water was vivid blue. We had fun on the bikes and paddle boards. The Indian Ocean buffet on Fridays is great with almost nothing we had ever tried before but it was all fantastic and the fire dancers on the beach afterwards were fun. Kata, the Japanese restaurant, was our favorite with a unique selection of appetizers, entrees, and desserts. Azure was not as exciting but was good for fish and seafood. The breakfast was often lacking some basics like lettuce, spinach, mangoes, etc... so that was disappointing but then again nothing compares to the St. Regis Maldives breakfast! The interior of the owv leave much to be desired and the bed felt like a sunken futon but we mostly stayed out on the deck enjoying the pool and views. It seems like staff are young and often are confused and bring up issues that should be handled in the back office and not brought to the attention of the guests, at least in our case, but it is a gorgeous location. Not sure if we'll go back since so many properties are opening and they're 1 hour seaplane from Male.
Old Jul 10, 2019, 12:41 am

I am really curious - where are lettuce and spinach breakfast basics?
Old Aug 26, 2023, 2:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy, Accor Club, Miles and More
Hi there,

did anyone recently stay there and can give feedback on the full board option? The reviews on tripadvisor are mixed in this regard but I'm actually tempted as pricing for the Fairmont is relatively cheap compared to other hotels in the area at this stage...

Thanks

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.