Wiki Posts
Search

Another Bangkok hotel advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:39 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by cowism
same GM as the Sofitel. That's all I know. Haha
giltbertaue, I thought you know Sofitel Suk GM?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:47 am

Originally Posted by Transpacificflyer
The best way to go about this is to decide upon the aspects items that are key;
1. What is your primary purpose? Shopping? Nightlife? Culture? Business?
There are hotels in close proximity to each district which offers some highlights. If wanting to go around, then it doesn't matter which district you are in, but some are noisier than others.Fenix Novotel is at the bottom of Silom and after 8 PM the area is dead., so little ambient noise and hard to get a taxi at night. Any hotel in the busy Suhkumvit area will have street noise.

2. How do you intend to get around? BTS (light elevated train) or subway or taxi?
If you want ease of use, and no traffic hassles, use the BTS. In rainy season pick a hotel close to the BTS.

I was not impressed by Pullman G on Silom. The highlight of my visit was dirt and taxi-doormen shenanigans.
Novotel Siam is a better choice than Mercure Siam even though similarly priced, although I would avoid both.
Fenix Novotel is ok but far away from everything. Pullman King Power is fine but it is priced the way it is because it is away from everything. I suppose if one wants to watch the mini buses at Victory Monument, it is great.
Avoid the Suhkumvit district as it is congested and quite unpleasant particularly as one gets near the popular nightlife zone (noise, touts etc.)

The Muse is the other side of Lumpini park (nice place for a walk and quite safe during the day). If you want a bigger place (bedroom, dining area & sitting room) and a more luxurious experience consider, the Mayfair Marriott nearby. You won't need to worry about an upgrade because you will already be in a space that offers more and your savings will have more than compensated for the loss of points. IMO, don't restrict yourself to Accor. You will find that if you look around you will easily find a better value proposition than the Accor properties.
I have to disagree on few things.
- Pullman King power is not very far. It is less than 5min walk to the back door of that shopping mall that connect to Victory Monumment. it also mean quite close to Chathucak. victory monument is also few steps (4?) away to Siam.

- Sukhumvit is not as mess as before. If you know how to navigate staying at Sofitel/Mercure Sukhumvit is fine as you can avoid the main Sukhumvit abroad traffic.

- the issue with Muse, the road is one way traffic. It is nice neighbourhood though.

Again finding hotel in Bangkok is pretty much driven on what’s the main purpose. Many likes Novotel Platinum, which I will never stay there for sure

Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:47 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lingua101

ohhh both are the same owner

i am am still considering Mercure Sukhumvit or aloft
both are a long walk from main Sukhumvit, unless you do not mind to take a motorbike taxi...
Old Jul 10, 2018, 9:41 am
Accor Contributor Badge

There's a really good private sale now for Bangkok.

Only $150 a night for Sofitel BKK
Old Jul 10, 2018, 12:14 pm

Programs: ALL
Originally Posted by BinSabai
both are a long walk from main Sukhumvit, unless you do not mind to take a motorbike taxi...
Mercure is about 250m to Sukhumvit.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 12:50 pm

Programs: Always J
Originally Posted by Fyd
The Sofitel Sukhumvit is nice, but long walk from BTS.
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't Sofitel almost equidistant to Nana and Asok. I've never considered either station a long walk.
Old Jul 11, 2018, 4:58 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
escape4:
I see you are Hilton Diamond. I would recommend Millenium Hilton if you are on a budget.
Eek! You've reminded me to update my profile - dropped to silver following a change in jobs. But thank you for the suggestion.

Transpacificflyer:
Any hotel in the busy Suhkumvit area will have street noise.
I've lived in central London for years so hopefully I'll be able to cope with the street noise but I'll take some ear plugs with me to be sure.

Transpacificflyer:
IMO, don't restrict yourself to Accor. You will find that if you look around you will easily find a better value proposition than the Accor properties.
That's a fair point - I wanted to stay with Accor in Bangkok because I'd seen a lot of talk here about the various options there and I needed a stay to put me back into Gold for next year but I have mixed up my other hotel bookings for the overall trip because I wanted to try a few chains (I've got an IHG and a Sheraton elsewhere).

Thanks again all - made notes for my next trip to Bangkok!

1F
Old Jul 11, 2018, 7:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by HiSo
Maybe I'm missing something but isn't Sofitel almost equidistant to Nana and Asok. I've never considered either station a long walk.
all correct.
cowism likes this.
Old Jul 12, 2018, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by HiSo
300-400 meters, Asoke slightly more far than Nana
some might feel it's a long walk as they got hold up on the way ...
Old Jul 12, 2018, 12:24 pm

Programs: TK E,*G, A-Club G
300-400 meters, Asoke slightly more far than Nana
some might feel it's a long walk as they got hold up on the way ...
I have given up on the BTS, we visit BKK with our 7 year young and a BTS ticket x3 is as expensive as most taxis.
Thus no more Sofitel Suk walks to Nana or Asoke.
I used to stay at the Pullman King Power, just noticed how crazy the Chinese are to do expensive shopping at KP shopping mall...totally useless thieving King Power...
Last visit switched to Novotel Siam (where I used to stay in the 80ties after they demolished the Interconty), nicely refurbished, but I dislike the Siam area.
Stayed a few times at Novotel Fenix Silom, (inexpensive suites) easy reach just down the highway (tell taxi driver hotel is next to Lerdsin hospital, otherwise they have no idea where the Novotel is) Again I just take/ask a taxi at the lobby, no walk in sweat...
I now prefer the Novotel Suvarnabhumi Airport and take the ARL if I want to go downtown, an expensive hotel however, but I don't like the Suk Sofitel any more, am I claustrophobic lately?
And I do like their evening buffet, perfect price/quality at +-1000B/pp
BinSabai likes this.

Last edited by tartempion; Jul 12, 2018 at 12:32 pm
Old Aug 2, 2018, 7:45 am

Originally Posted by Grega Spendov
We are familly 2 + 2 (13 and 9) and will be spending 4 nights in BKK. I am silver, so no spc benefits

What hotel do you recomend? We have budget aroudn 120-150€ per night... kids would like to have pool.
At the end we stayed at Sukhumvit 20. As being gold we were upgraded to executive room on 24th floor.

Really nice hotel, with good service level in whole hotel.
Thank you for your help.
Old Aug 9, 2018, 3:24 am

Originally Posted by Grega Spendov
At the end we stayed at Sukhumvit 20. As being gold we were upgraded to executive room on 24th floor.

Really nice hotel, with good service level in whole hotel.
Thank you for your help.
did you book basic room (cheapest category) and have you been granted lounge access?
Old Aug 16, 2018, 6:28 am

did you book basic room (cheapest category) and have you been granted lounge access?
yes we booked cheapest room and we haven't got access to lounge. But we have got drink vouchers for skybar...
BinSabai likes this.
Old Sep 3, 2018, 12:54 am

Anyone know about ibis style/Novotel Sukhumvit 4? Looks at location, it seems a rebranding hotel?
Old Sep 3, 2018, 6:27 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
Anyone know about ibis style/Novotel Sukhumvit 4? Looks at location, it seems a rebranding hotel?
I have seen it and it appears to be a new building. There are want ads outside for staff and I believe the hotels open in October.
1flyer likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.