Old Jul 6, 2018, 6:53 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
My pleasure. Anytime!
Old Jul 8, 2018, 8:33 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the board again as you steered me well on a hotel for a trip to KL earlier in the year.

I'm off to Bangkok and am looking for a premium hotel that's within my budget and where (as a Gold) I have a good chance of an upgrade if I book a lounge-access room. I'm veering between:

- the Hotel Muse Bangkok Langsuan (MGallery); and
- Pullman Bangkok Hotel G.

It's my first time in the city and I'm really looking for a nice base to do the tourist stuff during the day (being close to a metro stop is fine) and then maybe a shopping centre/restaurant in the evening. It'll be a 5 night stay.

Also does anyone have a recent experience of the airport Novotel?

Thanks as always in advance.

1F
I see you are Hilton Diamond. I would recommend Millenium Hilton if you are on a budget. The river location is better for a first timer than a repeat traveller so you might enjoy it. MH offers decent value for the money, and you will have executive lounge access unlike any of the Accor options as a Gold. For sure, cross off Novotel airport from your list - you will pay a premium price for proximity to the airport when you actually want to spend time in the city. So Novotel BKK is the last place you want to be.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:53 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the board again as you steered me well on a hotel for a trip to KL earlier in the year.

I'm off to Bangkok and am looking for a premium hotel that's within my budget and where (as a Gold) I have a good chance of an upgrade if I book a lounge-access room. I'm veering between:

- the Hotel Muse Bangkok Langsuan (MGallery); and
- Pullman Bangkok Hotel G.

It's my first time in the city and I'm really looking for a nice base to do the tourist stuff during the day (being close to a metro stop is fine) and then maybe a shopping centre/restaurant in the evening. It'll be a 5 night stay.

Also does anyone have a recent experience of the airport Novotel?

Thanks as always in advance.

1F
Pullman G is also around 10 min walk to Choi Nongsi BTS or you can take 15 min walk to Saladaeng.

I am guessing your budget is around THB3,000/night. Why not looking at Pullman King Power? It was newly renovated. If I am not wrong they are the first Pullman with the new design.

or Novotel Ploenchit? You have the BTS right infront of the door steps.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:55 am

Originally Posted by escape4
I see you are Hilton Diamond. I would recommend Millenium Hilton if you are on a budget. The river location is better for a first timer than a repeat traveller so you might enjoy it. MH offers decent value for the money, and you will have executive lounge access unlike any of the Accor options as a Gold. For sure, cross off Novotel airport from your list - you will pay a premium price for proximity to the airport when you actually want to spend time in the city. So Novotel BKK is the last place you want to be.
Personally I do not recommend any hotel on the other side of the river, as traveling is not very convenience. You need to take the hotel boat. Hilton Millennium boat is running every 30 min.

If I have to stay by the river, I rather to stay on the Sheraton/Shangrila side. But again, it is very personal preference.
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 12:56 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Hey 1F, if you decide on the Pullman G, send me a message and I'll put in a good word for them to take care of you
can you do the same for Mecure Sukhumvit?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 1:34 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lingua101
Personally I do not recommend any hotel on the other side of the river, as traveling is not very convenience. You need to take the hotel boat. Hilton Millennium boat is running every 30 min.

If I have to stay by the river, I rather to stay on the Sheraton/Shangrila side. But again, it is very personal preference.
are you aware that the sky train is now crossing the river (beyond the Sapan Taksin station), several stations into Thonburi and even beyond Wongwian Yai to Phasi Charoen
you can also take boats to travel anywhere along the Chao Phaya River
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:46 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Sorry... I don't know everyone in Accor
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:55 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
are you aware that the sky train is now crossing the river (beyond the Sapan Taksin station), several stations into Thonburi and even beyond Wongwian Yai to Phasi Charoen
you can also take boats to travel anywhere along the Chao Phaya River
yes I am aware. I do not think Millenium Hilton is close to Krung Thonburi if I get the name right. This is the first station after the river right.

The issue for me, it is hard to get taxi from the other side of the river. Well may be now no more with grab.

My only experience was when I stayed at Peninsula sometimes ago. I told the taxi driver I am going to Peninsula, he seems not aware on where is the hotel. Not sure if he purposely did that as it was at night.

Again it is my own personal preference. I just feel on this side (the Shangrila side) of the river is more convenience, even I have been traveling in and out Bangkok for decades now..
Goldorak likes this.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 2:58 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Sorry... I don't know everyone in Accor
hahahhaah well I know you know a lot of people. who knows... really no connection at all at Mercure Sukumvit?
Old Jul 9, 2018, 4:16 am
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

hahahhaah well I know you know a lot of people. who knows... really no connection at all at Mercure Sukumvit?
Sorry. Non. Nada.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 5:19 am
Accor Contributor Badge

same GM as the Sofitel. That's all I know. Haha
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:35 am

Programs: DL, AC, Bonvoy, Accor, Hilton
The best way to go about this is to decide upon the aspects items that are key;
1. What is your primary purpose? Shopping? Nightlife? Culture? Business?
There are hotels in close proximity to each district which offers some highlights. If wanting to go around, then it doesn't matter which district you are in, but some are noisier than others.Fenix Novotel is at the bottom of Silom and after 8 PM the area is dead., so little ambient noise and hard to get a taxi at night. Any hotel in the busy Suhkumvit area will have street noise.

2. How do you intend to get around? BTS (light elevated train) or subway or taxi?
If you want ease of use, and no traffic hassles, use the BTS. In rainy season pick a hotel close to the BTS.

I was not impressed by Pullman G on Silom. The highlight of my visit was dirt and taxi-doormen shenanigans.
Novotel Siam is a better choice than Mercure Siam even though similarly priced, although I would avoid both.
Fenix Novotel is ok but far away from everything. Pullman King Power is fine but it is priced the way it is because it is away from everything. I suppose if one wants to watch the mini buses at Victory Monument, it is great.
Avoid the Suhkumvit district as it is congested and quite unpleasant particularly as one gets near the popular nightlife zone (noise, touts etc.)

The Muse is the other side of Lumpini park (nice place for a walk and quite safe during the day). If you want a bigger place (bedroom, dining area & sitting room) and a more luxurious experience consider, the Mayfair Marriott nearby. You won't need to worry about an upgrade because you will already be in a space that offers more and your savings will have more than compensated for the loss of points. IMO, don't restrict yourself to Accor. You will find that if you look around you will easily find a better value proposition than the Accor properties.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 6:37 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
I might have a contact. But he works at Sofitel Sukhumvit. The GM of Mercure Sukhumvit and Sofitel Sukhumvit are the same.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 8:41 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit

There is also a non-hotel shuttle boat in front of Millenium Hilton that takes you to the other side every 5 minutes or so, for very cheap (something like 5 THB one-way I think). So I generally agree with you, but which side of the river is only a minor issue for me. I have stayed at both Sheraton and Hilton and for a first-timer I would consider more the hotel hardware in my recommendation, rather than the side of the river.
Old Jul 9, 2018, 9:36 am

Originally Posted by cocoleolol
I might have a contact. But he works at Sofitel Sukhumvit. The GM of Mercure Sukhumvit and Sofitel Sukhumvit are the same.
ohhh both are the same owner

i am am still considering Mercure Sukhumvit or aloft

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.