Another Bangkok hotel advice thread

Old May 22, 2018, 1:29 am

Programs: TK-G | Accor P | SQ-G | Marriott T
Originally Posted by FGunawan
I haven't stayed at either Novotel or Mercure Siam, but I like the look of Mercure Siam and have always considered staying there when I just need somewhere to sleep. While not directly at Siam Square (like lingua101 said, just off National Stadium BTS), I find the location to be very good. MBK mall across the street is quite handy. Whereas Novotel Siam's exterior doesn't look at all convincing, and when I wandered around the lobby I just didn't like it. It doesn't look like it's worth the price premium vs other Accor Bangkok choices. Novotel Ploenchit is cheaper and much better choice than Novotel SIam.
Novotel Siam building is a very old building. It was re-branded to Novotel. I do not know what was the name of the hotel, may be some one know. I always think that hotel was very overpriced. It used to sell above THB3K in the past. The only attraction is it is in Siam Square.

For me, I do not like to stay around that area as traffic is very bad. I rather stay Novotel Ploenchit compare to Novotel Siam. It is cheaper and newer. And the BTS is just infront.
Old May 22, 2018, 2:34 am

Programs: TG ROP Platinum, M&M Senator, IHG Platinum, Accor Platinum
Originally Posted by lingua101
Novotel Siam building is a very old building. It was re-branded to Novotel. I do not know what was the name of the hotel, may be some one know. I always think that hotel was very overpriced. It used to sell above THB3K in the past. The only attraction is it is in Siam Square.

For me, I do not like to stay around that area as traffic is very bad. I rather stay Novotel Ploenchit compare to Novotel Siam. It is cheaper and newer. And the BTS is just infront.
that must have been long time ago as Novotel Siam exists since minimum 20 years in the same building
traffic is indeed pretty bad in this area but you have BTS Station nearby (intersection of 2 lines)
Old May 22, 2018, 2:38 am

Originally Posted by BinSabai
that must have been long time ago as Novotel Siam exists since minimum 20 years in the same building
traffic is indeed pretty bad in this area but you have BTS Station nearby (intersection of 2 lines)
has it been rebranded for 20 years? if I recall correctly I thought the rebrand happen in liek early 2000?
Old May 23, 2018, 1:01 am

Originally Posted by lingua101
has it been rebranded for 20 years? if I recall correctly I thought the rebrand happen in liek early 2000?
remember that I was in its CM2 before 2000
Old Jun 13, 2018, 6:59 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
At which hotels do Platinum members have the best chances of a suite upgrade? Which hotels almost never upgrade Plats to suites?
Old Jun 13, 2018, 8:18 am

Originally Posted by escape4
At which hotels do Platinum members have the best chances of a suite upgrade? Which hotels almost never upgrade Plats to suites?
you usually get upgraded one level. So your best chance is if you book a room just one category under the suites
the chances to get upgraded from the most basic room to a suite is slim
Old Jun 14, 2018, 2:28 am

you usually get upgraded one level. So your best chance is if you book a room just one category under the suites
Well this is disappointing. I will be Accor Platinum from July 2018 to December 2019 so I am willing to try Accor properties in Bangkok, which I have not done before. I currently get suite upgrades from the basic room with a decent success rate at various properties within Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt. I am interested in investigating Accor options because I enjoy trying something new, rather than because I am not satisfied with other hotels I have tried in Bangkok before. That said, if it means I need to pay a lot more for an Accor property to get a suite upgrade because I need to book higher than the basic room (which is what I do more than 80% of the time with other hotel chains), then I am not sure Accor is worth trying. I might not be willing to try something new if it means I need to pay 50% more than comparable alternatives which might be generous with suite upgrades.

I am not familiar with Accor much. In their previous communications to Fairmont Platinum members, I thought they said they would change the upgrade rules such that Platinums would get suites if available, rather than a one-category upgrade. Did I just dream this up?

Sorry if I am just ignorant
Old Jun 14, 2018, 6:20 am

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Marriott / SPG PLAT Premier, USELESS Accor Plus PLAT
BinSabai is right. If you really want to get a suite, it's best to book 1 category below the suite.

I have stayed in Almost ALL Accor properties in Bangkok except for a couple of IBIS for around 100 to 150 nights a year in BKK. They will just give up a 1 level upgrade. Maybe once a while depending on the hotel/front desk, you might get the occasional suite upgrade but don't hope for it. If you are Platinum, they will just give you the Executive Club Room which we as Platinum have Access to the Lounge anyway. They will tell you that it is an upgrade but that's B***S*** to me. This is not an upgrade since the room size is typically the same.

Originally Posted by escape4
Well this is disappointing. I will be Accor Platinum from July 2018 to December 2019 so I am willing to try Accor properties in Bangkok, which I have not done before. I currently get suite upgrades from the basic room with a decent success rate at various properties within Starwood, Marriott, Hilton, and Hyatt. I am interested in investigating Accor options because I enjoy trying something new, rather than because I am not satisfied with other hotels I have tried in Bangkok before. That said, if it means I need to pay a lot more for an Accor property to get a suite upgrade because I need to book higher than the basic room (which is what I do more than 80% of the time with other hotel chains), then I am not sure Accor is worth trying. I might not be willing to try something new if it means I need to pay 50% more than comparable alternatives which might be generous with suite upgrades.

I am not familiar with Accor much. In their previous communications to Fairmont Platinum members, I thought they said they would change the upgrade rules such that Platinums would get suites if available, rather than a one-category upgrade. Did I just dream this up?

Sorry if I am just ignorant
I used to get Suite Upgrade for Sofitel BKK Sukhumvit since its inception until 2017 (last year). Sometimes, they gave me a suite with a private outdoor balcony (with outdoor dining table and even with a outdoor jacuzzi). I would get a Suite almost 100% and my stay is from 1 to 7 nights. I also used to get a Suite upgrade even when I redeemed a free night using my Accor Plus (previously Advantage Plus Free night).

However, I was told that the new management changed the upgrade policy in 2017. Since then (2017), I did not stay there anymore as there is no suite upgrade. I simply moved all my stays to Starwood.

If you are willing to argue with the front desk during check in and tell them to give you a suite rather than just to allocate the Executive Club Room, you will still stand a chance with other Accor properties such as Pullman BKk Grande Sukhumvit, Mercure Siam etc.

Happy
Old Jun 15, 2018, 12:07 am

Originally Posted by happygolucky_nomad
BinSabai is right. If you really want to get a suite, it's best to book 1 category below the suite.

I have stayed in Almost ALL Accor properties in Bangkok except for a couple of IBIS for around 100 to 150 nights a year in BKK. They will just give up a 1 level upgrade. Maybe once a while depending on the hotel/front desk, you might get the occasional suite upgrade but don't hope for it. If you are Platinum, they will just give you the Executive Club Room which we as Platinum have Access to the Lounge anyway. They will tell you that it is an upgrade but that's B***S*** to me. This is not an upgrade since the room size is typically the same.

I used to get Suite Upgrade for Sofitel BKK Sukhumvit since its inception until 2017 (last year). Sometimes, they gave me a suite with a private outdoor balcony (with outdoor dining table and even with a outdoor jacuzzi). I would get a Suite almost 100% and my stay is from 1 to 7 nights. I also used to get a Suite upgrade even when I redeemed a free night using my Accor Plus (previously Advantage Plus Free night).

However, I was told that the new management changed the upgrade policy in 2017. Since then (2017), I did not stay there anymore as there is no suite upgrade. I simply moved all my stays to Starwood.

If you are willing to argue with the front desk during check in and tell them to give you a suite rather than just to allocate the Executive Club Room, you will still stand a chance with other Accor properties such as Pullman BKk Grande Sukhumvit, Mercure Siam etc.

Happy
Thanks for the feedback. Given your significant experience with Accor hotels in Bangkok and your subsequent decision to move your stays to Starwood, I can safely assume that moving some of my stays over to Accor would not be the best idea.

Arguing for a suite is not exactly my cup of tea. I would rather stay in a hotel that has genuine interest in rewarding Platinum members with generosity in various ways, rather than make it an adversarial situation.
Old Jun 16, 2018, 8:50 am

Originally Posted by happygolucky_nomad

Happy
hmmm I never get suite upgrade even as Platinum. Is there change of management. I noticed the tv in my room is smaller and I can still see glue trace for bigger box frame which I think old tv
Old Jul 5, 2018, 3:53 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Bangkok Hotels - Choice of Two And Query About Airport Novotel

I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the board again as you steered me well on a hotel for a trip to KL earlier in the year.

I'm off to Bangkok and am looking for a premium hotel that's within my budget and where (as a Gold) I have a good chance of an upgrade if I book a lounge-access room. I'm veering between:

- the Hotel Muse Bangkok Langsuan (MGallery); and
- Pullman Bangkok Hotel G.

It's my first time in the city and I'm really looking for a nice base to do the tourist stuff during the day (being close to a metro stop is fine) and then maybe a shopping centre/restaurant in the evening. It'll be a 5 night stay.

Also does anyone have a recent experience of the airport Novotel?

Thanks as always in advance.

1F

Last edited by 1nfrequent; Jul 5, 2018 at 4:25 pm
Old Jul 5, 2018, 5:48 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Muse is a 10 minutes walk to BTS. Hotel G seems further. I would prefer Muse's location as it's nearer to Siam area.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 6:23 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent
I'm throwing myself on the mercy of the board again as you steered me well on a hotel for a trip to KL earlier in the year.

I'm off to Bangkok and am looking for a premium hotel that's within my budget and where (as a Gold) I have a good chance of an upgrade if I book a lounge-access room. I'm veering between:

It's my first time in the city and I'm really looking for a nice base to do the tourist stuff during the day (being close to a metro stop is fine) and then maybe a shopping centre/restaurant in the evening. It'll be a 5 night stay.

1F
Hey 1F, if you decide on the Pullman G, send me a message and I'll put in a good word for them to take care of you
vidrineb likes this.
Old Jul 5, 2018, 7:35 pm
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Originally Posted by 1nfrequent

1F
Personally, out of the two, I'll recommend Hotel Muse as it has a better Location with regards to touristy stuff. Pullman Bangkok Hotel G is more of in the CBD area with many offices. But if you were to give consideration to other hotels, I can recommend Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit or Pullman Grande Sukhumvit as they are larger hotels compared to Hotel Muse. Hotel Muse is like a... boutique hotel but a very nice one indeed!
Old Jul 6, 2018, 4:45 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Many thanks all - the prices jumped overnight (because of course they did) and when I checked out cocoleolol's suggestion of the Pullman Grande Sukhumvit, I found that a Deluxe Executive Room was cheaper than an executive level room at the Muse. The location seems much better for me as well.

gilbertaue - I will take you up on your kind offer on my next visit to Bangkok (everyone tells me I need to go more than once!). Actually I owe you a big thank you for your KL advice (and I realise I haven't put up a mini review of the Pullman KL so will rectify that this weekend). My mum had a fabulous time despite the works and still talks about how wonderful it was.

Anyway - many thanks again. I really appreciate it.

1F

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.