Search

Another Bangkok hotel advice thread

Search this Thread

Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:01 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Another Bangkok hotel advice thread

What BKK hotel would you recommend to me? I built in a few day layover in BKK before continuing on to business in Australia.

I've never been in SE-Asia. I will be paying out of my own pocket. Closeness to BTS or MRT is desired. The SO Sofitel is beyond my budget. As a Plat, I'm strongly considering Sofitel Sukhumvit. But I'm wondering if 130€/night is a bit too much (that's the private sales price for my dates). Also, I read the review thread for the Sofitel and it seems rooms aren't quite as nice and new anymore as they used to be.

Any other hotels I should consider? Again, I'm a Plat so an hotel with a lounge would be a nice-to-have. But the top priority would be good access to mass transit.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 1:49 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeHyatt Contributor Badge

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Bonvoy LT Plat, Hilton Gold, GHA Tit, BA Gold, Turkish Elite
I can't speak for you, but what I'd do personally is spend 1-2 nights at the Sofitel SO as it looks cool, and then the remainder at a regional chain hotel for $60 a night on Priceline or similar. I'd say a bit of wow followed by mediocre is better than lots of expensive mediocre and a few hotel points.
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:02 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
With Bangkok you're spoilt for choice of good hotels.

Besides the two Sofitel Hotels there are two MGallery properties which are definitely worrth considering.

Hotel Muse Bangkok Langsuan MGallery is excellent. Usually similar rates to Sofitel Sukhumvit. No lounge but Platinum members receive complimentary breakfast, free soft drink minibar and complimentary drinks and buffet in the roof top bar 4.30pm to 6.30pm daily. Hotel is about 300 metres from the nearest BTS station (hotel offers free Tuk Tuk sevice to the station if you prefer not to walk). Siam Square is then only a 5 minute BTS ride

VIE Hotel MGallery is also very good and a little cheaper.

All 4 have pros and cons. Sofitel So is modern chic, can feel busy, location not great for BTS and nearest MTR line isn't the most convenient. Sukhumvit a very good Sofitel offering full lounge, location better than the So. Muse great location for BTS and IMO best location overall, no lounge (but see above), more boutique style. Its a personal preference which you go with, all should give you a very good stay.
1flyer likes this.

Last edited by cwl; Nov 22, 2017 at 2:11 pm
Old Nov 22, 2017, 2:55 pm

Grand mercure near fortune centre has decent executive room, good location and very affordable.
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:04 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

I second cwl thoughts

Alternatively, i would stay at Novotel Pleonchit for couple of nights and switch to Sofitel Sukhumvit just for the experience. Both are near the BTS line and has a lounge
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 4:49 pm

Programs: UA 1K/MM, DL GM/MM, HH Dia, PC Plat, MR Gold, ALL Sil,
I highly recommend the Novotel Ploenchit -- the BTS is just outside the hotel, and the executive lounge is good for a 4-star hotel. Great if you're on a budget.

Otherwise, I'd go with the Sofitel Sukhumvit -- certainly more luxe than the Novotel but also more expensive. The lounge, pool, and gym are all excellent.
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 22, 2017, 10:44 pm
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I give my vote to the Novotel Ploenchit too.
Has a beautiful lounge with outdoor balcony on the top floor that gives nice views.
Rooms are the usual Novotel standard, but you're in BKK.. So what you need is a good bed and you'll be out during the day anyways.
Location is very convenient for the BTS.
IMH and 1flyer like this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 1:00 am

Sofitel Sukhumvit, VIE or Mercure Sukhumvit 11

1st choice = Sofitel Sukhumvit

If budget is an issue, stay the 1st few days at Mercure Sukhumvit 11 (which is newly renovated and has a Plat lounge), then < 5min walk to the Sofitel

No lounge available at VIE, but its location is good as well

MUSE is not bad, but small lounge and slightly further walk to the BTS
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 10:20 am
sfo

Programs: UA MM *Gold, Accor Silver
You might take a look at this Ibis Styles. It is brand new, just opened this month. I am staying there in January. Just a suggestion.

Ibis Styles Bangkok Sukhumvit Phra Khanong
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 23, 2017, 4:01 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

In my opinion, VIE hotel is a pity for plat members. Although it has good location and huge rooms, it has no lounge nor a good bar (compared to the Sofitel or Hotel Muse).
happygolucky_nomad and 1flyer like this.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 12:55 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
And if you need more choice, Pullman Bangkok Grand Sukhumvit which has an excellent lounge. And it's near Soi Cowboy, for some real Bangkok or should I say Sukhumvit experience. I really won't worry about needing to be very near to BTS when I'm staying along Sukhumvit, most Accor properties along this stretch are walking distance to a BTS station. Novotel Ploenchit is a soulless hotel, the nice lounge food notwithstanding. Novotel Sukhumvit 20 is a far more comfortable hotel. And if you like bars and drinking holes with restaurants, the new Mercure Sukhumvit Soi 11 is at an excellent location.
happygolucky_nomad and 1flyer like this.
Old Nov 27, 2017, 8:29 pm
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: Star Alliance Gold, Iberia Oro, SkyTeam - Elite Plus, Le Club Accor - Platinum
I recommend the So Sofitel if you're wanting something which is a little more exciting than the standard chain hotel. I was thoroughly impressed when I stayed and I found it to be the best Accor property I'd stayed at in a while. I also stayed at the Pullman King Power, and whilst it was also very good, it didn't quite have the same vibe. Status recognition was good at the So Sofitel, and I found the rooms to be really quirky. I have a review here, if you're interested https://anotherexcusetotravel.com/re...ailand-sofitel
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:25 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
I'll recommend you to stay at Sofitel Bangkok Sukhumvit for a all round experience. Good Service with a nice lounge, close to BTS too.

If you are on abit of a budget and want location and abit of service, would recommend Novotel Pleonchit as it will fit your criteria.

However if you want just location and budget, not much great service, I would say Novotel Siam Square as that is in the centre of Bangkok.
IMH and 1flyer like this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 2:35 am

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), SK EBG (*A Gold), KQ Plat (STE+), Accor Plat
Many have their own preferences over the location. I've mostly stayed at the both Sofitel's and found that the Sukhumvit location is not to my liking. On the other hand, the Sofitel Sukhumvit is a very nice property and they're rather generous with the benefits. Last time I redeemed Veuve Clicquot with my welcome drink voucher, which was definitely a first!
1flyer likes this.
Old Nov 28, 2017, 1:34 pm
Suspended
Original Poster

Programs: M&S, Radisson
Thanks all for the suggestions! I surely keep some of those in mind for the next trip.

It was a tough decision as prices were very close together and convincing arguments were made in favor of multiple properties. I ended up booking a few days in the Sofitel Sukhumvit. On the return (only one day in BKK), I went with the Mercure Sukhumvit 11.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.