FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless) (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless-667/)
-   -   Novotel London Blackfriars (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/accor-all-accor-live-limitless/1874616-novotel-london-blackfriars.html)

cowism Oct 29, 2017 1:12 am

Novotel London Blackfriars

Introduction I stayed here for 4 nights in October 2017. I reached at about 12 noon. They allowed an early check-in as typical check-in time was 2pm. Booked a superior room and got a executive room. Welcome drink coupon was also presented. Room In my opinion, the executive room is huge. Situated at the top 2 floors, it oversees the London Bridge area with some views of St Paul's Cathedral, Tate Muesem and a good view of the Shard.Personally love the smart pillows which you can fold when sitting up and unfold for sleeping! Side beds feature wall sockets and USB ports to charge your phones.Bathroom featured a rain shower and the typical glass partition in Novotels that turns from opaque to clear and vice versa with a touch of a button.Nespresso, tea and 4 bottles (2 sparkling and 2 still) were complimentary.Noise insulation between the rooms were very good. Service Friendly and casual service all over, but not over the top where makes you uncomfortable.As a LCAH plat member, I received a gift (magnet) with a spelling error. So I emailed the GM (whose email was included in the welcome note) and he was on leave! So I forwarded it to the Operations Manager whose email was in the GM's Out of Office reply.Apologies came via email. When I was back in the room later that day, a plate of brownies with an apology letter was on the table. Now, problem was that there was no cutlery to enjoy the brownie! Naturally, I used the teaspoon on the mini bar.A replacement gift (Unexpected) was presented the next day. It was a nice multi connector USB cable with Novotel branding. Personally, the slight hiccup of no cutlery and not changing the email on the welcome note was some slight blemishes to the overall pleasant service all around. Location 2 minutes walk from Southwark Underground station, Jubilee Line.10 minutes walk to Waterloo Underground station.15 minutes walk to Borough Market and London BridgeApprox 25 minutes walk to Tower of London, Shard, Tate and Millenium BridgeIt is about an hour train ride from Heathrow T2. Quite a pain if you just had a long flight, but bearable. Dining Breakfast was included in the rate. The restaurant is located at the on level 1. It turns into a bar later in the day. The atmosphere was great. It's a nice place to people watch as well.Spread was the typical English breakfast and for 4 days, the spread didn't change one bit. However, the quality was great. Overall A 4 star experience at Novotel Blackfrairs and lived up to the reviews on TripAdvisor. I would say that it is one of the better Novotels. Stay here!

Goldorak Oct 29, 2017 1:49 am

Thanks for the review Cowism. Looks nice indeed and nice LCAH recognition.
But the best Novotel in London remains for me the Canary Wharf one. ;)

IMH Jan 7, 2018 3:03 am

We stayed at this property for one night (January 2018, Platinum).

We booked an "executive premium" room with a queen bed. We were allocated an "executive" room with what was either a wide queen or narrow king bed, on a high floor.

A welcome note was waiting in our room, along with a second welcome note addressed to someone else. There was also a small jar of Christmas-themed chocolate balls, almost a week into the new year.

We were given a drinks voucher, which we redeemed for a couple of pints of beer in the bar. (There were a couple of decent UK beers hiding in a long list of mostly foreign industrial beer-like products.)

cowism Jan 7, 2018 3:44 am

You should speak to the FOM or GM on the gift.

IMH Sep 15, 2018 9:03 am

Another good stay

We had another one-night stay here and were once again happy with the hotel (September 2018, Platinum).

The most substantial status benefit (a decent upgrade) was delivered: we booked the cheapest room and were allocated an "executive" king room on a high floor. There was no welcome note or gift, but a drinks voucher for two was given without us needing to ask.

Basic status recognition isn't hard, but so many Accor properties don't manage it. This hotel does. Add the fact that everyone was friendly and efficient and we'll be back. ^

gilbertaue Sep 15, 2018 8:36 pm

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 30206480)
We had another one-night stay here and were once again happy with the hotel (September 2018, Platinum).

The most substantial status benefit (a decent upgrade) was delivered: we booked the cheapest room and were allocated an "executive" king room on a high floor. There was no welcome note or gift, but a drinks voucher for two was given without us needing to ask.

Basic status recognition isn't hard, but so many Accor properties don't manage it. This hotel does. Add the fact that everyone was friendly and efficient and we'll be back. ^

Yet there was no welcome note nor gift. That ticks one box less - which isn't hard to comply with either.

I agree, get most of the things right and have a friendly crew and that makes a happy guest. But how hard is it to tick all the boxes?

IMH Sep 16, 2018 7:41 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 30208229)
Yet there was no welcome note nor gift. That ticks one box less - which isn't hard to comply with either.

You're right, of course. Accor has massaged our expectations down to such a low level that we're thrilled when they manage to deliver two thirds of what they should. ;-)

That said, I'll settle for a hotel that does most of what it should, most of the time, with a smile and no silly restrictions. One example would be drinks vouchers. Four times out of five I don't spend enough time in the hotel to use them, but when I do I really dislike discovering they're only good for a 'house' wine, or a small beer, or only one of the five brands of beer available to paying guests. The Novotel Blackfriars lets you order pints. :)

IMH Oct 21, 2018 1:09 am

Originally Posted by gilbertaue (Post 30208229)
Yet there was no welcome note nor gift.

We were back at this property earlier this month. The welcome note and amenity made us realise just how special it is to have elite status with Accor:

https://cimg6.ibsrv.net/gimg/www.fly...8e5d7b8bdc.jpg

Platinum welcome amenity, Novotel Blackfriars, October 2018

Everything else was great, as always. And, well, they're sort of trying. Aren't they?

gilbertaue Oct 21, 2018 1:14 am

:D :D :D

cowism Oct 21, 2018 1:17 am

Seriously?! Haha

starflyergold Oct 22, 2018 1:42 am

Originally Posted by IMH (Post 30338475)
We were back at this property earlier this month. The welcome note and amenity made us realise just how special it is to have elite status with Accor:

Platinum welcome amenity, Novotel Blackfriars, October 2018

Everything else was great, as always. And, well, they're sort of trying. Aren't they?

Indeed an incredible experience :D

Maelstrom Oct 22, 2018 2:29 am

I honestly don't know which I would prefer; this effort or no effort at all

IMH Dec 10, 2018 12:08 am

We were back here for another one-nighter last week. Platinum status got us a drinks voucher and an upgrade from our booked "superior" room to an "executive" room on the 11th floor. There was no welcome note or amenity this time.

We didn't use the drinks voucher -- even if we had not had better plans than the hotel bar, we'd have been driven away by the Christmas party that was happening that night. (We were invited to join in, both by email in advance and on the night, but were happy not to.)

IMH Jan 18, 2019 9:14 am

Yet another one-night stay last week with Platinum status. Drinks voucher and an upgrade from "superior" to "executive" room given without us needing to ask. No welcome note or amenity.

IMH Mar 19, 2019 10:28 am

We've stayed here for a single night several times but last week returned for our first (slightly) longer stay: two nights. Platinum status brought a drinks voucher, an upgrade to an "executive" corner room and -- tara tara! -- a welcome note and plated sweet treat.

A minor maintenance issue wasn't properly resolved at the first attempt. The wasbasin was draining very slowly. We reported this in the morning and when we returned things had improved, but not much. My guess is that someone made a quick plunger 'repair' rather than taking the time to empty the s-bend of whatever nastiness had accumulated there.

Overall, however, this was another pleasant stay, with much of the credit for that going to the friendly and efficient people on duty at reception and in the bar. ^