Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Review Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt [closed]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Oct 14, 2017, 3:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond

Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

Charlottenstr. 50-52 Berlin, DE 10117

Review Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt (10 Photos)

3C4B8FED-8E7A-4296-B8FB-030F7C985BD9.jpe

1513D774-FCC8-4468-8C33-1CFAB199B764.jpe

For a new (business) trip to Berlin, I wanted to try this time the Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt, as I already stayed several times at the Pullman Schweizerhof (ex-Sofitel) and once at the Sofitel Kurfürstendamm. Even if the stay at the latter was good, (reported last year on our favorite forum), I am exasperated by their lounge policy for Platinum guests so wanted to try the other Sofitel, as I never stayed in. There is no Club Lounge in this hotel. 

Gendarmenmarkt is a very central place and quickly accessible from everywhere. It is at less than 10 min walking from famous Checkpoint Charlie.

This was a 2 night stay and I booked a Superior room with double bed and I didn’t receive any upgrade because of full hotel (to be accurate : I checked the facts and the hotel was not full but it was true that any room category above the superior room was not available for booking).

Overall this was certainly not a bad stay at all as all the basics were met (clean and comfortable room), but I was somewhat disappointed (I was expecting something better) as the style of the rooms is quite dated and the hotel lacks of some atmosphere or ambiance. The lobby is small and is always desert for that reason, outside the people checking-in/out.

Drink voucher was given but there is no real bar in this hotel. There is a bar in the restaurant but it’s at the counter only and so not that nice, as the restaurant is quite big and busy. You can even use your drink voucher…in the minibar.

Room

The room was on 1st floor, facing the main square, so a nice view. But you may think that in the case of no upgrade, they could at least try to give you a room at a upper floor (which is in my preferences in my LCAH profile). I was afraid of potential noise from the street, but soundproofing was very good.

The room is not that big. As you can see on the picture, the weird thing is that there is no chair at the desk if you need to work. And you cannot really bring the armchair as it is not adapted for this purpose (height, seating position).

72C4D042-DBCE-4655-932A-F1E8BF93E9CF.jpe

2BD6C657-3AAD-49F7-8540-9819636080FC.jpe

815DDE3E-B54E-48CD-A255-5866CDC634F0.jpe

You will appreciate the style of the closets…really dated.

E19C6658-4697-4B4A-8DC0-DE6D323F0769.jpe

Welcome gift was minimal, and I didn’t take the jam with me as I was flying with carryons only and so I couldn’t have gone through security with the jam…

EA7F5105-2967-4478-863F-7EEEA33C438D.jpe

Bathroom had a strange design for the door. It’s the same door that is closing either the toilet area or the bathroom. Water was easily leaking below the shower door to the bathroom.

AC4593F7-5AD3-4279-B96C-FD2C046D6A2D.jpe

59FDD39F-1124-468B-B462-19EE18BD61CA.jpe

There was no turndown service in the evening.

Dining

Breakfast is taken in a large room on the 1st floor, so close to my room. I didn’t have BF at the hotel, so cannot comment on its quality, but passing in the corridor, I had the feeling that this room was rather dark and lack some warmth.

I had dinner in the restaurant. It seems to be popular for Berliners as it is accessible directly from the street and there was a constant flow of people entering through this door and it was quite busy. I had a good meal and I used my drink voucher for a glass of wine with my meal.

35C8D072-7A8D-4EEE-A5AF-C60372D3AC17.jpe

Overall

Overall, not a bad stay as said in the introduction, but no WOW effect, dated and lack of ambiance. I don’t think this hotel is up to current Sofitel standards and it would better fit in Pullman brand. Would I return ? I don’t think so and would rather return to the 2 other Accor hotels I mentioned in my introduction (Pullman Schweizerhof or Sofitel Kurfürstendamm). Note that I never received the satisfaction survey after this stay.

Review Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Berlin Gendarmenmarkt?

No, thank you.
Yes
gilbertaue and uggboy like this.
Old Oct 14, 2017, 5:41 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for the review, good to know as I've also wondered about staying here when I'm in Berlin...May just continue to stay at the Waldorf given the rather lacklustre situation here...a shame really.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 7:45 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
The hotel has closed. (h/t @gilbertaue)

gilbertaue likes this.

Last edited by starflyergold; Jun 29, 2019 at 9:14 am Reason: tweet added
Old Jun 29, 2019, 12:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Thanks for the news. Unexpected but no regret from me.
That's the 2nd significant recent loss in Berlin for Accor (was that the Swisshotel who left also recently ?)
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:10 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
That's the 2nd significant recent loss in Berlin for Accor (was that the Swisshotel who left also recently ?)
Yeah, but I think the Swissotel wasn't a loss but a planned exit. The competition in the Kudamm/Charlottenburg "kiez" (Berlin-speak for neighborhood) is fierce. You have everything there from a midscale Hampton by Hilton or Motel One over NH, Indigo, Pullman, Steigenberger, Sofitel, an Intercontinental up to a luxury Waldorf Astoria.

I know this thread is about the Sofitel Gendarmenmarkt and idk why they're switching. But Accor def had to reduce presence at Kudamm. They still have ibis budget, ibis, Adagio, three Mercures, Pullman, 25hours and Sofitel in that area. Clearly, one of the upper upscale hotels had to go: Pullman, 25 hours, Sofitel, and Swissotel is just too much in that category for one neighborhood.
Old Jun 29, 2019, 1:32 pm
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Originally Posted by Goldorak
Thanks for the news. Unexpected but no regret from me.
The Swissotel closed because the property owners realised they could extract more money by converting the building to offices. It wasn't Accor's choice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.