Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Novotel London Waterloo - Accumulation of small problems

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old May 12, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold

Novotel London Waterloo

Map| 1 Review | 0% Recommended

Novotel London Waterloo

113 Lambeth Road London, GB SE1 7LS

Novotel London Waterloo - Accumulation of small problems (4 Photos)

Novotel London Waterloo

I had a stay previously in this hotel which was great: all benefits taken care of without having to ask (including an upgrade), great staff, dated but clean room. For this trip to London since I had good experience with this property I would book it again.

This was a really poor show as the review will demonstrates. I was surprised by the total lack of profesionalism by nearly the entire staff, the laissez-faire by the cleaning staff and the overall lack of customer service. I needed a discussion with the front office manager, who spend a day investigating and came back with comments and 3500 points as customer service remedy.

The hotel is being renovated, I was in a renovated room which has an interesting design. There was noisy work during day time, although as I was away this was not a problem. 

Check In

The agent lady gave me my key and said: "Your room is XXX, the lift is here". Period.

I was not welcomed back, or even just welcomed. No mention of LCAH or status, no mention of an upgrade or a welcome drink voucher. No mention of where is the restaurant, the breakfast time or anything else.

I kindly give here a clue: " Would that be all ?" to which she was speechless. 

The staff basically left a very young trainee alone doing check-in and manning the LCAH desk, without any supervision.

Room

The room was good, although I do not like the setup of the bathroom. This was a renovated room, with a new design.

20170503_183042.jpg20170503_183135.jpg

As the pictures shows, the bathroom is fully open and no walls are in front of the sink. I dislike this, this is too open and lack any sort of privacy. Additionally I like to have a mirror in front when shaving. The vanity mirror provided is too small and not conveniently located.

The two mirrors at the back are two doors: one for the toilet, the other for the shower cubicle.

Otherwise the renovated room looks great except that the carpet is already stained. The cleaning staff is doing a shoddy job.

Picture.jpeg

Amenities

It turned out I was in an Executive room, apparently maybe upgraded (the original check-in agent was mute on this, another one later told me the hotel was fully booked and could not have been upgraded, the manager told me I actually was). There was a Nespresso machine and a Bose sound system:

20170503_183432.jpg

Gym

The gym had broken equipment and is located in the basement. You need to request a key at the reception. There is a treadmill, an elliptical trainer and some free weights. The other machines or equipment are all broken or out of order.

Dining

There is an Elements restaurant, the fairly standard Novotel restaurant with a menu having no imagination. 

I had dinner on my arrival evening and the food was OK, although the service particularly poor.

The breakfast is OK, although the choice of cold cut is seriously limited (one sort of ham, turkey and one sort of cheese).

Service

The weakest point of the stay, contrasting with my previous stay in this property.

I already mentionned the check-in.

The room cleaning was poor: there was no shampoo in the room when I arrived, the cups for teeth cleaning where broken. The next days I realised the staff does not clean the entire bathroom: just the sink. The area around the sink was untouched as all my stuff was where I left it. 

The carpet had stains .

At the restaurant I ordered gluten-free bread and a caesar salad. The bread in the salad was not gluten free (the one on the side was). 

When it was time to pay, I wanted to put the check on the room. As the trainee did a mistake when opening the account, it was not possible. All was needed was for me to provide my CC and the agent could open the account. The staff did not propose this pro-actively and just repeated like a mantra: "you need to pay now with cash or CC". There was no alternative given or any way to correct the initial mistake.

The hotel is on the south bank, in view of the Parliament. The Victoria train station is 20 minutes walk, a station on the Bakerloo Line 10 minutes walk. The immediate vicinities are void of anything interesting and without convenience shop, pubs or restaurants. 

Overall

This was clearly not a satisfying experience. I am not sure whether this is a one off or the new direction this hotel is staying. I am willing to give them another chance. 

Would you like to write a review on the Novotel London Waterloo?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old May 12, 2017, 4:57 am
Accor Contributor Badge

Toilet design is just weird
Old May 12, 2017, 5:30 am

The toilet design is bizarre.

The bedroom area and furniture reminds me very much of the new style Holiday Inn Expresses that are now popping up.

Your dining experience and the you have/have not received an upgrade sounds almost identical to an experience I had at Mercure London Bridge last year.
Old May 12, 2017, 9:53 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
This bathroom design is really the most weird I have seen. I dislike it too.
Old May 12, 2017, 11:37 am
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Thanks for taking the time to post a review and for sharing the experience with others. ^

Sorry to hear about your stay being so poor (especially the service where a hotel like this can really make a difference to other competitors in the same market), hopefully they improve.

I am torn in my thoughts about the new room layout; I applaud the fact that they are trying something new and mixing up the traditional layout of rooms which can feel very bland in some hotels, however, on the other hand, wow, that is very open plan...and would be disruptive at night if one person had to get up and then wash hands with the lights on not to mention the noise...

I do think it matches the French philosophy very much of trying something out design wise that others shy away from (love it or hate it as with their car designs) but at least it is an alternative that is different. ^

I'd stay in such a room if I was travelling alone but would avoid it if travelling with my wife as we have different habits in the morning and late evening that would cause strife with this setup. (mostly noise and light pollution spilling into the room). Wonder if they could put up a thin sliding wall to help on the side of the bed to give some 'border' in future.

Certainly a great place to take a future potential partner for life to see if you are truly compatible...this would bring to the front any issues very quickly!

Safe travels, thanks again for the review and pictures, that setup needed a picture to explain for sure!
Old May 12, 2017, 11:39 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
If they are advertising this design for single occupants fine. Otherwise this is just very odd....

And the lack of service is inexcusable.
Old May 12, 2017, 5:02 pm

Programs: BAEC Silver, L'Accor Gold, Hilton Silver, IHG Platinum
Sorry to hear of your experience. I've stayed at this hotel numerous times (although not this year as I'm waiting for the renovations to end) and I found the service very up and down. The location is the main reason to stay here - perfect if you're a tourist or have business in the area. I have had good status recognition though.

I tend to travel solo and I wouldn't be delighted with that bathroom layout. Definitely not an improvement.

1F
Old May 14, 2017, 5:37 am
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeHilton 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Gold
Originally Posted by starflyergold
If they are advertising this design for single occupants fine. Otherwise this is just very odd....

And the lack of service is inexcusable.
This is a double room and advertised for single or double occupancy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.