Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Kuala Lumpur Damansara

Search this Thread

Old Aug 7, 2017, 12:52 am

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG
Originally Posted by Rasmus3s
Aren't there a lot of good restaurants in Damansara?

Am gonna stay there and use it as a base to do day tours, so most important thing is that there a good restaurants in the area for the evenings when we are back at the hotel.
You're in the vicinity of Damansara Heights which has some decent restaurants. But you probably need to cab it.
http://www.eatdrink.my/kl/category/a...nsara-heights/

The hotel is situated at a new mall,called DC mall. I'm sure there's some eateries there.
Old Aug 7, 2017, 9:46 pm
Original Poster
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
I'm reading some posts online that are implying that this property is opening on the 12th August.
Old Aug 9, 2017, 11:16 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles

Am gonna stay there and use it as a base to do day tours, so most important thing is that there a good restaurants in the area for the evenings when we are back at the hotel.
Are you familiar with KL? In case you're not I'd put in some words for you here. If you are visiting KL as a tourist, be prepared to spend at least one hour *each way* going to Bukit Bintang/KLCC areas where most sights and restaurants/nightlife are. And that's using taxi not during rush hour - allow more time during rush hour or if you're planning to use public transportation.

Allow even more time each way if you want to visit places like Batu Caves on public transportation.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:15 pm

Originally Posted by FGunawan
Are you familiar with KL? In case you're not I'd put in some words for you here. If you are visiting KL as a tourist, be prepared to spend at least one hour *each way* going to Bukit Bintang/KLCC areas where most sights and restaurants/nightlife are. And that's using taxi not during rush hour - allow more time during rush hour or if you're planning to use public transportation.

Allow even more time each way if you want to visit places like Batu Caves on public transportation.
Oh damn, did not think it would take an hour to get to Bukit Bintang in a car outside rush hour. Thank you for the heads up.

Will be staying at the Doubletree Hilton on points or pay for the Shangri-La or the Majestic a few days. Just to see the more centrally located stuff.

While staying in Damansara at the Sofitel, we will doing a day tour to the Batu caves using Grabcar or Uber, and also do a daytrip to 20th Century Fox theme park in Genting Highlands, yet another day trip to Petalling and one to Bangsar. I don't know if Petaling or Bangsar are interesting, but I wanna see China Town in Petaling. If you guys have any recommendations for other day trips, I would appreciate it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:30 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Oh damn, did not think it would take an hour to get to Bukit Bintang in a car outside rush hour. Thank you for the heads up.

Will be staying at the Doubletree Hilton on points or pay for the Shangri-La or the Majestic a few days. Just to see the more centrally located stuff.

While staying in Damansara at the Sofitel, we will doing a day tour to the Batu caves using Grabcar or Uber, and also do a daytrip to 20th Century Fox theme park in Genting Highlands, yet another day trip to Petalling and one to Bangsar. I don't know if Petaling or Bangsar are interesting, but I wanna see China Town in Petaling. If you guys have any recommendations for other day trips, I would appreciate it.
Just to clarify slightly as I spend quite a bit of time around KL. From the Sofitel it would take somewhere between 30-40min to get into/out of town if traffic is normal.

The Double Tree is in the city, and so is the Shangri-La. Shangri La has a train stop right inn front of it, Double tree is connected via linkway to KLCC. Majestic is nice, but not much around it.
I'm a big fan of the Pullman KL City Centre and the newly renovated Exec Rooms and Suites are nice (if you are willing to spend on the Shang, I suggest booking the nice suite in the Pullman instead).
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:06 am

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
I'm reading some posts online that are implying that this property is opening on the 12th August.
That's a fact. I just checked in today and they mentioned that this is their 3rd day open.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:14 pm
IHG Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: QF Gold, VA Gold, IHG Spire, Accor Plat, Marriot Plat, Hilton Diamond
Just to clarify slightly as I spend quite a bit of time around KL. From the Sofitel it would take somewhere between 30-40min to get into/out of town if traffic is normal.

The Double Tree is in the city, and so is the Shangri-La. Shangri La has a train stop right inn front of it, Double tree is connected via linkway to KLCC. Majestic is nice, but not much around it.
I'm a big fan of the Pullman KL City Centre and the newly renovated Exec Rooms and Suites are nice (if you are willing to spend on the Shang, I suggest booking the nice suite in the Pullman instead).
Doubletree is not connected via link way to KLCC, it’s connected to Ampang Park station which is one station away from KLCC. It also very good value on points. If your looking at staying ina good hotel, my pick would be the new Element, I have posted a review from my weekend stay there in the SPG area and it’s great value at 350 MYR at present.

Double tree has a great supermarket underneath for your snack and alcohol needs along with a very good hawker centre, 10MYR for a feed.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 8:22 pm
Original Poster
Accor 10+ BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by markis10
Doubletree is not connected via link way to KLCC, it’s connected to Ampang Park station which is one station away from KLCC.
oops. You're right. I mixed up Ampang Park with Avenue K.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 11:21 pm

Programs: Krisflyer, Enrich, Marco Polo, Accor, HHonors, IHG

You don't need one hour to reach BB from Sofitel outside rush hour. More like 30 minutes.

DT Hilton, Shang and Majestic each are very different properties. But they're definitely more centrally located than Sofitel. Majestic would be different from Sofitel if you want a change. There's nothing of interest in Bangsar and Petaling Jaya. I think you got confused with Chinatown being at Petaling Street, an area within the KL city, and not the satellite city of Petaling Jaya, which isn't of tourist interest.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:47 pm

Originally Posted by RJ77
You don't need one hour to reach BB from Sofitel outside rush hour. More like 30 minutes.

DT Hilton, Shang and Majestic each are very different properties. But they're definitely more centrally located than Sofitel. Majestic would be different from Sofitel if you want a change. There's nothing of interest in Bangsar and Petaling Jaya. I think you got confused with Chinatown being at Petaling Street, an area within the KL city, and not the satellite city of Petaling Jaya, which isn't of tourist interest.
Well 30 minutes is not too bad.

Thought there were supposed to be some good restaurants in Bangsar.

Guess I am not going to Petaling then.

I also considered the Ritz, but from what I read it's not quite up to standard. Just wanna stay in a good nice hotel with good breakfast. The only reason I booked the Sofitel Damansara for a few days was because I got a really good rate for a junior suite and was curious about the Sofitel brand.

Do any of you know if doing Melaka as a day trip from KL is fine or should I book a hotel there as well.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:49 pm

Think I will have a look at the Pullman. Didn't even consider that hotel. Thank you for the recommendation.
Old Aug 16, 2017, 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by markis10
Doubletree is not connected via link way to KLCC, it’s connected to Ampang Park station which is one station away from KLCC. It also very good value on points. If your looking at staying ina good hotel, my pick would be the new Element, I have posted a review from my weekend stay there in the SPG area and it’s great value at 350 MYR at present.

Double tree has a great supermarket underneath for your snack and alcohol needs along with a very good hawker centre, 10MYR for a feed.
Exactly. The doubletree seems like really good value on points and I like he idea of being close to a food court and public transport. Will have a look at the element too.

So many options in KL at reasonable prices, how does one make up his mind!
Old Aug 16, 2017, 1:03 pm

The standard rooms at this hotel are quite cheap, but the club rooms are priced the same as club rooms at for example the Majestic which is not out in the middle of no where. Is current the pricing sustainable for this hotel?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 8:00 am

Programs: Accor+ Platinum, Honors Diamond, SPG/MR Gold, IHG, KrisFlyer, Airpoints, Qantas FF, Enrich, SkyMiles
Ah more like 30 mins to city center, my bad.
I'll still prefer proper city center or Brickfields (KL Sentral) hotels in town
Old Aug 18, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: Accor Plat, AA Gold, UA Silv, DL Silv,

I stayed at the hotel this week, which had a soft opening on the 12th. There are some good bars and restaurants in the area, but you'll have to cab / uber it anywhere as Damansara City is off the freeway and seems only accessible by it. I didn't see much nightlife accessible by walking from the Sofitel. If you use Uber, it's highly accessible in KL, cheap, and very helpful for a hotel not frequented by cabs (i.e. Sofitel).

Edit: Also, the Sofitel is about 15 - 20 minutes from KLCC without traffic, or a $3-5 Uber ride. So it's not too bad, considering it's about a 10 minute walk from most hotels in KLCC to anywhere worth going to.
kaffir76 likes this.

Last edited by Leverage; Aug 18, 2017 at 1:46 pm Reason: Addition

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.