Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

General Strike in France from December 5th – Accor policy?

Old Nov 29, 2019, 1:55 am
Original Poster

Programs: ALL Platinum

We have planned a Normandy tour in France using public transport (mostly trains SNCF) in December. We more and more dislike using cars and why not just be impressed by the passing by landscape and not having to concentrate on traffic on the roads. No car to park in city centers as well. Usually we book flexible rates with Accor, just this time, as it just runs with the season of the "Supersale", we have some prepaid nights included. News media has it that France is heading to an unlimited general strike beginning December 5th. SNCF has already blocked train bookings from December 5th to 8th. As this is not the first time France will be on strike, does anyone remember the policy Accor did show back then concerning prepaid rate? German media report that the strike might develop like a huge one in the late 1990s. When other sectors are also taking part, and it does look so, that there might be no way of transport available. For us, we might have to write off a bunch of LeClub points we used as well for the Accor bookings, but – as being a French company – the hotel chain might have shown a clear policy in recent strike periods?

Last edited by frechen; Nov 29, 2019 at 9:46 am
Old Nov 29, 2019, 2:24 am
Hilton 10+ BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: *A Gold (A3), HHonor Diamond
No clear policy, it will be at the goodwill of each hotel. Does your travel insurance covers this scenario ?
Old Nov 29, 2019, 4:39 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by fransknorge
No clear policy, it will be at the goodwill of each hotel. Does your travel insurance covers this scenario ?
Thanks, perhaps just wait and watch how things will happen.All booked separately, so wait and see, or as the French say, on vera …
Old Nov 29, 2019, 7:31 am
Company Representative, Accorhotels

Programs: ALL - Accor Live Limitless
Dear members,

Sorry to read that you be affected by this exceptional situation.
First of all, we invite you to check the conditions applying to your booking.
For the stays booked at a flexible rate, check until when you can modify/cancel your booking. If you decide to cancel a booking, you can do so directly online or by contacting the hotel directly.
If you have booked a non-flexible rate, that doesn’t allow any modification or cancellation, we invite you to contact directly the hotel you have chosen for your stay for more information.
The gestures granted in this situation are at the hotel’s sole discretion.

Best regards,

Amy
Old Nov 29, 2019, 8:38 am

Programs: UA 1K and Million Miler, *A Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hertz Five Star,
Call Accor or the hotel. No one here can possibly answer the question with clear certainty.
Old Nov 29, 2019, 10:00 am
Original Poster

Thanks a lot Amy for this fast answer as well. For us it is a combination of full flexible and prepaid rates. Sadly it would be a lottery to think the stays might fit with transportation as well, if – like last year – trains would perhaps run every one day of three. So for the time being we can only watch French TV abroad, check how things develop from 5th onward and then decide. Again, thanks for your information.

Last edited by frechen; Nov 29, 2019 at 10:21 pm
Old Nov 30, 2019, 12:24 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, Marriott Ambassador/Lifetime Titanium, Accor Silver, Club Carlson Gold, BW Diamond
Originally Posted by AccorHotels Concierge
Dear members,
If you have booked a non-flexible rate, that doesn’t allow any modification or cancellation, we invite you to contact directly the hotel you have chosen for your stay for more information.
The gestures granted in this situation are at the hotel’s sole discretion.

Best regards,

Amy
For my prepaid stay in Paris, long ago booked for the weekend of the scheduled strike, the hotel told me that Accor's directive is to allow postponements of a stay until March 31, 2020. Not practical in my circumstance, as I live VERY far away from France. So, it looks to me like the hotel and customer service are blaming the other for an unfriendly policy.

I wouldn't expect assistance with dates that have not been announced as striking days. But, the 5th-8th, inclusive , are certain to be days where it'll be impossible to arrive in Paris by train, and likely airplane. Or depart. Cancellations should be allowed, for ANY rate.

Last edited by clublounger; Nov 30, 2019 at 12:29 am

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.