Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Hotels and Places to Stay > Accor | ALL (Accor Live Limitless)
Reload this Page >

Hotel Novotel Zurich Airport Messe - Excellent for early flight out of ZRH

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 28, 2016, 7:04 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold

Hotel Novotel Zurich Airport Messe

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Lindbergh-Platz 1, 8152 Glattpark Zurich, Switzerland CH

Hotel Novotel Zurich Airport Messe - Excellent for early flight out of ZRH (0 Photo)

We had a one night stay at the Hotel Novotel Zurich Airport Messe prior to a South American trip which meant we had to leave ZRH early and our usual Radisson Hotel choice was out of the question as the price had exploded due to some happening in town and was sold out.

There are two options reaching the hotel, either by Novotel’s shuttle bus or by the excellent tram service running from the airport which we choose to do. The Tram leaves ZRH at more or less the same place as where the shuttle leaves from and is clearly marked throughout the airport. The beauty of using the tram is that is stopes right outside the Novotel and during rush our there are multiple arrivals/departures. Also as ZRH is the last stop on the tram line, you can not go in the wrong direction. The tram rides takes exactly 7 min and as we’re talking Switzerland here, 7 min means 7 min. Not 8 or 6 min.

Check In

The Novotel Zurich Airport has a dedicated A-Club elite checkin desk as well as a bog standard checkin desk. Vouchers for welcome drinks are handed out to (at least for) gold card holders and the service is just amazing. Friendly and very very service minded in either flawless French, English and of course high German (or swiss German if you prefer).

Room

The room we were given was very typical Novotel, maybe a tad dated but very clean and have all you need for a one night stay. Lots of TV channels with 3 of the 4 national languages as well as the BBC line up (and your usual suspect news channels). There might have been some middle eastern as well but we paid it no attention.

The amenetites were just as expected and covered all bathroom needs and even a tad more.

Dining

Not knowing better we decided to have our dinner at the Novotel’s own restaurant. The service was fine but food not very interesting. After dinner we went for a walk and found a few good looking restaurants in the area (it’s mostly offices and some residential areas across the main street) and better still, there’s a huge Coop supermarket 5 min walk from the hotel.

Service

As mentioned earlier, top notch service from a younger staff group the afternoon we checked in. Very relaxed and talkative as we were talkative ourselves. Another couple who were checking in next to us were less talkative and the person checking them in adopted their approch which was very professionaly done IMO. Again, super friendly, realxed and very professional staff at checkin.

Overall

Over all, fantastic value for money and location is not half bad, if you need to be at the airport early in the morning and still be able to hit the streets of Zurich if that takes your fancy. The very same tram line will take you to the CC and there is no noise from any bars etc as there are none in the nearby area. 

The Novotel Zurich Messe is highly recommendable hands down but don't expect something it's not. It's spot on Novotel...

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Novotel Zurich Airport Messe?

No, thank you.
Yes
uggboy likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2016, 3:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Good good know. Thank you Cupart
Old Oct 3, 2017, 12:17 pm
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriot 100+ Badge

Programs: Hyatt Glob; Hilton Dia; Marriott AMB; Accor Dia; IHG Dia Amb; GHA Tit
I recently had a 4-night stay at this property. I booked a superior room and as a Platinum I expected to be upgraded to an executive room. I am not exactly sure what is the difference between the superior rooms and the executive rooms, but the website indicates the executive room is bigger. Looking at the floor plan, my room is one of the smallest, if not the smallest on the floor due to the stairwell on the other side of the wall. There was still availability for executive rooms online so I think I should have been upgraded but the upgrade was not particularly important for that trip so I did not ask. I suspect I was not upgraded and given the worst (?) room because my rate was rock-bottom. The private sale was 199 CHF for 2 nights, so I paid 398 CHF for 4 nights in total, which is hard to beat for Zurich standards. I cannot complain.

The shuttle bus from the airport arrived on time. The location of the hotel is good, being right next to a tram stop to go into the city center. There are grocery stores and restaurants in the area. The room was clean and I could sleep fine except for a thumping noise in the room above or in the vent system at around 6am on the first morning.

I am not very familiar with Accor since I got status via Fairmont. That said, I think I did not get much in terms of platinum benefits during my stay; no upgrade, no welcome gift, no welcome drink. I am not sure if the private sale rate negated the platinum benefits or if I was entitled but I did not make a fuss.

I have to compare with what I would get at competing properties. The Hilton is in a similar location close to the airport, but less desirable than Novotel because the Hilton is not close to a tram stop. However the Hilton has an executive lounge so they offer free breakfast and happy hour. For my dates the Hilton was 200 CHF per night rather than 100 CHF per night so Novotel wins there.

I usually like the Sheraton in Zurich which is closer to city center and also has a lounge. But for this trip, the price at Sheraton was 3x Novotel, so Novotel it is.

Hyatt is the other hotel chain I normally consider but it's only Park Hyatt and the price is 6x Novotel and not useful for my purposes.

Bottom line the Novotel is very basic, no lounge, and without much platinum recognition then it only competes on price. If the price is low enough, my experience has been sufficiently favorable for me to consider returning.

Once the Hyatt Place hotel (currently under construction) opens near the airport, I suspect it is a property that will compete with the Novotel.
Old Oct 3, 2017, 1:10 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
Originally Posted by escape4
t I was not upgraded and given the worst (?) room because my rate was rock-bottom. The private sale was 199 CHF for 2 nights, so I paid 398 CHF for 4 nights in total, which is hard to beat for Zurich standards. I cannot complain.

I am not very familiar with Accor since I got status via Fairmont. That said, I think I did not get much in terms of platinum benefits during my stay; no upgrade, no welcome gift, no welcome drink. I am not sure if the private sale rate negated the platinum benefits or if I was entitled but I did not make a fuss.

Bottom line the Novotel is very basic, no lounge, and without much platinum recognition then it only competes on price. If the price is low enough, my experience has been sufficiently favorable for me to consider returning.
escape4 welcome to the world of Accor Le Club, shame your Platinum experience in Zurich wasn't great.

The rate paid makes no difference to eligibility for benefits. The only criteria is the booking was made via one of the approved booking channels. As you booked a Private Sale rate I assume you booked via Accor.com which is a channel to receive benefits.

A drink voucher should be automatically granted at checkin from Silver upwards. Too many hotels fail on this and need a reminder. European hotels probably being the worst.

Welcome amenities also vary between hotels, Europe is again poor in this respect.

I quick search on this forum will show lots of issues re upgrades. If it was available it should have been granted regardless of rate booked. Again most hotels do upgrades automatically but quite a few need to be reminded. I usually enquire during checkin with something like "Has the room been upgraded?" which leads into a conversation if it hasn't.

I've learnt the hard way that whilst the majority of hotels do it correctly you have to be willing to ask questions at checkin to ensure benefits are provided.
Old Oct 5, 2017, 9:33 pm

It is disappointing that Accor hotels would sometimes give less than what we are entitled to and that we have to insist. It is the opposite of Fairmont where we occasionally get more than we should, for example with the buy 2 get 1 free night certificates, given out of nowhere, for Christmas or for Canada 150.

Indeed I booked the private sale on accor.com so it should like I should have received benefits. Oh well.

I forgot to mention that this hotel has one of the worse, if not the worst fitness gym I have seen. There is only one treadmill. Only one stationary bike, and it is very old. No elliptical. There are only a handful of free weights, but not even a bench to use the weights! A bench is so cheap to provide, why do they not have one? It was relevant for me because I booked Novotel rather than Ibis specifically because Novotel has a gym and Ibis did not... So I felt like I spent extra money for money, given that Novotel is of course more expensive than Ibis.

The Novotel has a sauna which could be a plus for some people. It was not for me, but I think it's positive that the hotel has one.

The shuttle bus was full to go from the hotel to the airport, so they provided a taxi voucher or a tram voucher. This was appreciated.

Last edited by escape4; Oct 6, 2017 at 4:40 am
Old Oct 17, 2017, 3:44 am
Original Poster
Accor Contributor Badge

Programs: AY Plat (OWE), Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by escape4
The shuttle bus was full to go from the hotel to the airport, so they provided a taxi voucher or a tram voucher. This was appreciated.
The Tram any day of the week. We took the tram rather than the shuttle bus and it was quick, convenient and you are 100% sure it will leave and arrive on time (very little waiting time) and no traffic blocks ^

Nice gesture by the hotel to offer a tram or taxi voucher. Never heard of before ^^
Old Jun 18, 2019, 12:36 am

Novotel Zurich Airport Messe = Only Useful for 1-Night Stay if Very Cheap

Map| 2 Reviews | 50% Recommended

Lindbergh-Platz 1, 8152 Glattpark Zurich, Switzerland CH

Novotel Zurich Airport Messe = Only Useful for 1-Night Stay if Very Cheap (7 Photos)

I needed two one-night stays in ZRH one week apart and for one of them Hilton was almost half price of Novotel and for the other Novotel was almost half price of Hilton so the choice was easy.  I stayed at Novotel before and was not particularly impressed, but for the night where Novotel was much cheaper I was expecting to arrive in Zurich late evening and leave early morning, therefore not having Hilton’s executive lounge and not having Platinum breakfast benefit at Novotel was not disturbing me much.  As it turns out, things did not go as planned and it highlighted the value proposition which is lacking at Novotel.

Unfortunately my flight to ZRH was cancelled a few days before scheduled and I was moved to a flight that was scheduled to arrive at 7am rather than 7pm.  If I had known ahead of time that I would spend more time in Zurich, I would have booked somewhere other than Novotel but by then it was too late, I had just changed my flexible booking at Novotel to pre-paid thinking that my plans would not change just a few days before departure.  

Check In

I received an e-mail in advance to advise me that I could check in online which I had not seen before at Accor hotels so I tried it. I thought the comment section would be useful to inform the hotel that our flight was landing at 7am, that we would relax in the Swiss business arrivals lounge at the airport and that I would appreciate if they could inform me when our room was ready.  This online check-in facility is great to have, but problem is that I tried twice and both times it failed.  A disappointing waste of time.

Upon arrival I went to the Swiss lounge.  I called Novotel from the lounge mid-morning and they said the regular check-in time was 2pm but they could make an exception for me at 1pm.  They said they had rooms available and I could check-in before that but I would have to pay 45 CHF.  I was ok waiting in the Swiss lounge at the airport longer and I declined to pay for an early check-in fee.  I have seen hotels charge a fee for early check-in like 6am or 9am, but for check-in at noon, that is unusual.  They are free to manage their hotel as they wish, but in my opinion this is uncompetitive (especially for an airport hotel) and I would say if someone ever needs early check-in, it will make Hilton a better choice by a significant margin.

Novotel is 4km away from the airport and thanks to the shuttle bus it’s suitable for an overnight.  For people who need to go to the city center during their stay it’s not necessarily the best choice although the hotel is in front of a tram stop and you can be in Zurich HB in less than 30 minutes.  For longer stays in this area I would rather go to the Kameha Grand (Autograph Collection from Marriott) which is a much nicer hotel than both Novotel and Hilton although is the most expensive of the three.  While Novotel is ok for a quick overnight, it should be noted that the shuttle bus schedule is only twice per hour at peak times and only once per hour at other times, which is not the most convenient for an airport hotel and is inferior to Hilton which is 2-3 times per hour. For my stay I did not mind much since I was in the airport lounge and I could leave the lounge based on the shuttle bus schedule.  However for someone arriving from a flight and who wants to go straight to the hotel, once per hour is not appropriate in my opinion and the tram will be the better option despite not being free. In addition, the same shuttle bus serves both the Novotel and the Ibis nearby so even though I took the shuttle at non-peak time, the fact that it’s only once per hour for two hotels resulted in the bus being jam packed.  The bus from the airport to the hotel is free, but from the hotel back to the airport is now 4 CHF unlike two years ago which was free.  Hilton has also introduced a 5 CHF fee recently.  Given the infrequent schedule of the bus, it’s now better to go to the airport by tram rather than pay Novotel for a crowded bus.   

IMG_3828.jpegIMG_3836.jpeg

Room

The room is fine and nothing special, but it was clean and in decent shape, somewhat better than Hilton as long as you don’t mind having less space available (Hilton has larger rooms).  I do not think I received an upgrade but anyway for just one night I did not mind and the higher room type available (exec room) is not larger than the standard room (22 sq m) so an upgrade would not have had much value to me so I did not ask anything at reception.  There were power plugs on one side of the bed but not international style, plus no USB ports.

IMG_3829.jpegIMG_3830.jpegIMG_3831.jpeg

Dining

Last time I stayed two years ago, I was not offered the welcome drink voucher, and some reports on TripAdvisor mention that people have to fight to get it.  This time vouchers were offered proactively without having to ask.  In addition I was allowed to take the drinks to my room; I am not completely sure but if I am not mistaken those are supposed to be just for the bar or restaurant so the hotel was flexible.  Drinks to the room is something that was denied to me by a Fairmont a few months ago.  

Gym

The fitness gym was in sorry state last time I stayed here. The good news is that they bought new equipment which was well overdue, however they cut costs by buying equipment without the TV attached.  There is also a sauna next to the gym for those interested.  IMG_3832.jpegIMG_3833.jpeg

Wifi

Wifi was very good, download 90 Mbps and upload 50 Mbps.

Overall

Overall this hotel can do the job but generally speaking the value proposition can be on shaky grounds.  I cannot say that I will never come back – it is fine to save money if arriving late and leaving early and if it’s significantly cheaper than Hilton. However for stays where I value a decent room upgrade, an executive lounge, free breakfast, and a more customer-friendly shuttle bus schedule, Hilton will be the better choice for those who have Diamond status there.  Just for breakfast alone, it costs 29 CHF per person at Novotel so as a couple paying 58 CHF for breakfast when it’s free at Hilton, not counting other perks, those things add up.  Novotel would have to be at least 50-80 CHF cheaper on the room rate to justify staying there depending on expected arrival time and departure.  For people who do not have status with Hilton or Marriott and whose purpose is to save money, in that case I could recommend Novotel but depending on whether extra facilities are needed, there are some people for whom Ibis Budget might be a better choice although I have not stayed there to compare.

Novotel Zurich Airport Messe = Only Useful for 1-Night Stay if Very Cheap

Would you like to write a review on the Hotel Novotel Zurich Airport Messe?

No, thank you.
Yes
Old Jun 18, 2019, 1:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Thanks for the review. Agreed about their ridiculous early check-in policy if you want the room at 12 and if they have some available. Come on...
And the shuttle free one-way but not back, and only once per hr...
escape4 likes this.
Old Sep 14, 2019, 5:13 am

I have returned to this hotel despite my so-so review three months ago :

Overall this hotel can do the job but generally speaking the value proposition can be on shaky grounds. I cannot say that I will never come back – it is fine to save money if arriving late and leaving early and if it’s significantly cheaper than Hilton.
This time I had a quick layover at Novotel because Hilton and Kameha Grand (Marriott) were a lot more expensive than Novotel, heck even Ibis was more expensive than Novotel.

Stay was ok but once again I had a hiccup. I was given a room key and the front desk staff told me I have room 625, but the card said 627. So I asked for clarification, is it 625 or 627, and he said it's 627 as shown on the card. I went upstairs and 627 did not work so I tried 625 and the door opened, however I found that someone else's belongings were in there although the room was fortunately not occupied at that point. I went back to reception and asked again if I should have room 625 or 627, he said 627 and I responded that the card is opening room 625 but not 627. He gave me a new card for 627. Upon entering that room it was clear the room was for me because there was a "welcome back escape4" card along with a brownie on the desk.

I guess such mistakes can happen anywhere but this was sloppy on his part, particularly since there seemed to be confusion from the get go.

I would not be too pleased to find out that some random guest came into my room...
SkyteamEP likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.