Wiki Posts
Search

Sofitel Athens Airport

Search this Thread

Old May 23, 2016, 8:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: A3*G, Accor ALL Gold
Sofitel Athens Airport

We will be 3 guests staying at Sofitel Athens airport later this week. I have booked 2 rooms using my Accor Platinum account.

For 3 of us to have access to the lounge, I guess I will have to upgrade one room to a Luxury Club Sofitel room.

- Is there any chance for both rooms to be upgraded ?
- If not, does anyone know how much Sofitel will charge for the upgrade ?
- Has anyone experienced the lounge in this particular Sofitel ? It is worth it ?

Thanks.
Old May 23, 2016, 12:58 pm
cwl
Accor Contributor BadgeFairmont Contributor Badge

Programs: BAEC GGL/Gold, Flying Blue Silver, All Accor Gold, Hilton Honours Diamond,
My experience is Sofitel hotels are generally more generous in extending benefits to multiple rooms compared to the other Accor brands.

I don't know this particular hotel but I usually find Sofitel hotels have extended lounge access to all guests when I've booked two rooms. Sometimes upgrading both rooms to Club rooms, sometimes only upgrading one room but granting lounge access for all guests.
Old May 23, 2016, 1:57 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cwl
My experience is Sofitel hotels are generally more generous in extending benefits to multiple rooms compared to the other Accor brands.

I don't know this particular hotel but I usually find Sofitel hotels have extended lounge access to all guests when I've booked two rooms. Sometimes upgrading both rooms to Club rooms, sometimes only upgrading one room but granting lounge access for all guests.
Sounds great ^ Thanks !
Old May 23, 2016, 3:35 pm
Marriott Contributor Badge

I love this hotel. Plan on multiple showers....the BEST hotel shower ever.

I barely remember the lounge...but I do remember not being impressed and probably not worth an upgrade if it costs money (IMO)...I would spend the extra money enjoying a drink or appetizers in the bar area downstairs. Being a Platinum ( I was then as well) they gave us drink coupons for the bar as well as lounge access. Once we checked out the lounge we made a beeline for the bar downstairs.
Old May 23, 2016, 11:32 pm
Original Poster

Thanks David.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 5:55 am
Suspended

Programs: Silver:BA,VX,AB, QF. Gold:A3,RJ,AZ,GF, EY,SPG,Marriott,Choice, Carlson. Dia/Plat:HH,IHG,BW,Accor
What would be the cheapest place to book this? Is there anyway of getting this for cheaper than $200 ? Or with points?
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:22 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by benberg2013
What would be the cheapest place to book this? Is there anyway of getting this for cheaper than $200 ? Or with points?
It depends on your dates. Accor has weekly sales with great prices and also 4 worldwide sales with 40% off.
(Greece is not on sale this week).

By the way, I stayed there 2 weeks ago. Its a nice property. Location at the airport is great in case of late arrival or early departure.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 6:58 am

Originally Posted by benberg2013
I stay here once a year or so...and I have never gotten a rate cheaper then $180-$220 US. I always go for the limited cancellation (3 days). You can get a non-refundable ( and they mean it) for under $200 ( I think now it is about $181) ..the 3 day is at $203.
Old Jun 10, 2016, 9:23 am

If I recall from my stay in March the lounge is on its own floor. I was just given another swipe keycard at reception to access this floor and the lounge. This was as platinum. There was no staff and no other guests. Its nothing special, free alcohol (beer and wine all day I think and spirits during happy hour in the evening) and snacks (again better during happy hour). We visited twice and never saw nor interacted with anyone. I would think that once you have the key you can take as many people as you want (though I don't think you would want to stay long).
Old Jun 11, 2016, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Never understand why Accor keeps this property under the Sofitel brand.
Old Jun 11, 2016, 6:19 am

Originally Posted by nicolas75
Never understand why Accor keeps this property under the Sofitel brand.
Curious as to why. Is it not good enough?
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by david4455
Curious as to why. Is it not good enough?
Service is good, restaurant is pleasant and hotel has an indoor pool.
But design is pretty dated.

Good for early flight but I don't think any Sofitel should be an airport hotel (and a downtown Sofitel would be of course welcome)
Old Jun 12, 2016, 12:45 pm

Service is good, restaurant is pleasant and hotel has an indoor pool.
But design is pretty dated.

Good for early flight but I don't think any Sofitel should be an airport hotel (and a downtown Sofitel would be of course welcome)
Oddly...this is the ONLY airport hotel at ATH. And being literally 50 meters from the terminal is a plus.

One of the most common questions I see on a Greek forum is are there any alternatives to the " expensive" Athens Airport Sofitel.
Unfortunately, there is not. The next closest hotel ( Holiday Inn I think) is about 11 kilometers away towards Athens and not really a good alternative. for an early morning flight.
Old Jun 12, 2016, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
but I don't think any Sofitel should be an airport hotel
On the principle I agree with you. Pullman is a much better brand for that kind of hotel. The brand new Pullman CDG is a good example.
Old Jun 13, 2016, 7:03 am
Accor 10+ Badge

Programs: Accor Live Limitless, Accor Plus, World Of Hyatt
Originally Posted by Goldorak
On the principle I agree with you. Pullman is a much better brand for that kind of hotel. The brand new Pullman CDG is a good example.
The brand new Pullman CDG is a great example. Best airport hotel I have stayed at yet. Even has a pool, steam room and sauna. Prices are affordable too.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.