Wiki Posts
Search

Review Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Īle

Search this Thread

Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Review Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Īle

Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Ile

Map| 1 Review | 100% Recommended

4 Place Saint Pierre Le Jeune Strasbourg, FR 67000

Review Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Île (37 Photos)

Another interesting stay…for the worst and the best…

I had booked a classic room (the lowest category) for a 2 night stay. For those of you who do not know the beautiful city of Strasbourg, the Sofitel is located in the historic heart of the city, in a quiet square, less than 10 min walking from the cathedral. So ideal location of you want to explore the old town.

Also, something important to understand better this review : this is the very first Sofitel opened in the world!! Inaugurated in 1964 (there is a commemorative plate on the wall at the Concierge desk). Of course the hotel has been renovated since that (including recently), but, regarding the building structure, the standards for hotels in the 60’s were quite different from the current ones. And so this Sofitel suffers from those standards, i.e. small rooms and poor sound-proofing (a problem for some rooms, not for others depending on their situation in the hotel). I was not aware of that before arriving at the hotel (it was explained to me by the staff).

The hotel has 2 separate terraces outside for the bar and the restaurant. Very pleasant at that period of the year.

Check In

Just before arriving at the hotel, I checked availabilities and saw that the hotel was full ! So I had no hope for upgrade. I arrived at the hotel around 10:30 pm. I was nicely welcomed, but rapidly I was told that unfortunately they could not upgrade me because the hotel was full for my 2nd night, but they gave me a nice classic room with the best possible view. Drink voucher was given.

The hotel lobby is quite nice.

Room

Disappointed of course by the lack of upgrade (but I fully understand and accept that, as the hotel was full), I was full of hope for the announced nice room. The room interior was nice but I was immediately very disappointed by the small size, without separate entrance (I mean, you arrive directly in the room from the corridor – I don’t like that because such rooms tend to be more noisy). The bathroom was nice and surprinsingly large compared to the room. Looking for the outside view, there was nothing good with it, but main problem was that the room had 2 very small windows (one at each extremity of the room) and so I thougt that it will be always dark in such a room. So, unhappy with this room, I asked the reception to change. The issue of the hotel being full the 2nd day was raised again and so I was proposed the option to take another classic room for the 1st night and to see the following morning what would be the actual bookings (if cancellations, they could give me an upgrade). So let’s do that. I moved my stuff to the new room, small again but with a sas separating the room from the corridor.

The bathroom was smaller as the original one (products are the lovely Herm Eau d’orange verte).

But, wanted to see the outside view, I opened the night curtain and was shocked to discover a very dirty day curtain (several black/dark stains). Disgusting. Not obvious to take in picture but you can see below how it looked like. How can they leave such curtains in place (it will take them just a few hours to clean it or to change it, come on !).

Also, on the wall, there was a small damaged zone with white pre-painting , but which was not yet painted in the wall colours.

Totally unacceptable for a 5 star hotel and for a brand which has the word luxury everywhere written. I was beginning to be tired of all thatand being hungry (I wanted to order a room service), I called the reception to inform them about my profund dissatisfaction, but that I would keep this room for tonight and wanted to speak to a manager the following morning.
I ordered my room service. The waiter was aware of my problems and told me that the glass of wine was offered. Food was excellent.

Thanks to MyBed, I had an excellent sleep night. The following morning, wanted to have a cofee in my room, I discovered that there was no Nespresso machine but just a keetle and some instant coffee (Nescaf…My list of complaints was becoming longer…Whatever the room category, an espresso machine should be the minimum standard IMO in a Sofitel (in Strasbourg, they are provided only for the top room categories).

So I’ve been to speak to the manager on duty (Mr Alexander G.). He was fully aware of all my story, my profile and problems encountered. He was very apologetic and acknowledged that it was not acceptable and not up to Sofitel standards. I had a very open discussion with him and I have to say that he’s been very professional and he handled the situation very well. He told me that many people were complaining about room sizes but they have unfortunately to live with how the building is designed. He then told me that they have managed to give me the Prestige suite for the 2nd night and that it was the highest and best room of the hotel. He gave me a 2nd drink voucher and told me that my belongings would be moved by the staff within 30 min (the suite was still being cleaned). I went outside and when I came back, he greeted me again, confirming that my luggage were in the suite and informed me that a gift and apology letter were waiting for me in the room. The gift was a small flask of Herm perfume. Nice touch.

The suite was very nice as you can see on the pictures. 2 full bathrooms and 2 entrances.

1st bathroom :

2nd bathroom :

Dining

I used the 1st drink vouchers at the bar.

You can have everything with it, including all their choice of Champagne. I had a cup of Champagne rosBillecart Salmon. I had after an excellent dinner at their Voh restaurant, on the outside terrace.

Food was excellent. I think this restaurant is well-known in town and there were several locals which is always a good sign. I used my 2nd drink voucher for a glass of wine with the meal.

Service

All the staff has been great at this hotel. Late check-out at 4 pm was granted without problem, so I could enjoy my suite for a longer time.
There is no lounge in this hotel.

Overall

Overall, a stay that has begun very badly but which turned into a very nice experience, thanks to Mr Alexander G. who handled the situation very well.

This hotel IMO is not up to Sofitel standards and maybe not even to Pullman standards due to the room size. I don’t know what will happen, but I would not be surprised if it is downgraded in the future. Would I go again ? Certainly if I can be sure to have a good room, as the hotel and room interiors are nice, the location in town is very convenient, great bar, restaurant and staff.

Review Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Île

Would you like to write a review on the Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Ile?

No, thank you.
Yes

Last edited by Goldorak; Jul 1, 2015 at 4:28 pm
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:23 am
Marriott Contributor BadgeAccor 10+ Badge

Programs: TK Elite, ALL Plus Diamond, Marriott Platinum, Hertz PC
Review Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Île

Interesting report.
But shows again that the majority of Accor management are very approachable and try to rectify things when issues are raised.
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:27 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Interesting report.
But shows again that the majority of Accor management are very approachable and try to rectify things when issues are raised.
Very true. And I indeed thought about you during this stay and your recent experience in Indonesia
Old Jul 1, 2015, 12:51 am
Moderator, Turkish Airlines Miles&Smiles & Accor ALL
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: TK*G, Accor ALL Platinum
Thanks for another excellent review Goldorak ^ I always wondered about this property. Maybe at the next renovation they should consider reducing room numbers.

Strasbourg has a strange hotel market, they make a lot of cash due to the institutions without offering great service or stunning rooms. The local Hilton for example is a dump!
Old Jul 2, 2015, 4:15 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by gilbertaue
Interesting report.
Sofitel Strasbourg Grande Déception

I must say that I am always surprised to see Sofitels in such bad condition.

Yes, it is a good think that hotel management tries to rectify things. But it would be even better than a so-called luxury brand makes sure such issues (basic maintenance) never happen.

Sofitels in France (outside Paris) are far from international luxury standards in terms of room size (25 sqm a luxury room?!?), interior design (please, Accor management, build a real design team; stop with Ligne Roset; visit for example http://www.conservatoriumhotel.com/ to understand what good design is) and architecture (there are some very good example of smart renovation for ugly 60s buildings).
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:51 am

Programs: Flying Blue Gold
Originally Posted by starflyergold
Thanks for another excellent review Goldorak ^ I always wondered about this property. Maybe at the next renovation they should consider reducing room numbers.

Strasbourg has a strange hotel market, they make a lot of cash due to the institutions without offering great service or stunning rooms. The local Hilton for example is a dump!
Thanks Goldorak,

To be fair (it's my day defending Accor... ), Sofitel Strasbourg is generally much cheaper than Lyon one. But others hotel are generally in the same range (mercure, novotel...). And Junior suite are generally reasonably priced in Strasbourg (typically same as classic room in Lyon).
So I think we need to consider JS as "superior room", they are 30 sqm wich seems standard for a five star, and they are equiped with nespresso machine )
That's said, should they rebrand their "classic room" (17 sqm) as "mini room", "rikiki room" or other, probably ...

Why don't they want to reduce room number, I think we all have the answer: because hotel was full... Strasbourg needs more rooms in the upscale market, but we have to wait until the future Radisson (former Mariott project) at the former Police Station.

Same for the Hilton, wich is probably the cheapest one in Europe.

OT: I remember very well a few years ago the NATO summit meeting: Mr Obama had the Hilton "for himself".
Mr Sarkozy took the Sofitel "for himself".

... and the 26 others? ???
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF/KLM Club 2000 | InterContinental Diamond RA |AMEX Plat | Visa Infinite |Hertz President's Circle
Originally Posted by AF680

OT: I remember very well a few years ago the NATO summit meeting: Mr Obama had the Hilton "for himself".

... and the 26 others? ???
At the even uglier (from outside) Mercure just next to Sofitel??
Old Jul 3, 2015, 3:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Why don't they want to reduce room number, I think we all have the answer: because hotel was full... Strasbourg needs more rooms in the upscale market, :
Hotel Les Haras is a very nice property in Strasbourg.
Old Jul 3, 2015, 2:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster
Accor 25+ Badge

That's said, should they rebrand their "classic room" (17 sqm) as "mini room", "rikiki room" or other, probably ...

So, as I suppose N. Sarkozy stayed in the prestige suite, I can now say that I slept in a bed in which our ex-President has slept too and used the same presidential toilets
Old Jul 3, 2015, 4:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak

So, as I suppose N. Sarkozy stayed in the prestige suite, I can now say that I slept in a bed in which our ex-President has slept too and used the same presidential toilets
The big question indeed is: was Carla with him or not?
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:57 pm
Hilton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
^^ Nice review, thanks for posting. Have wondered about this hotel for a while as it is very close to the hometown my wife comes from.... ^
Old Jul 7, 2015, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by BotB
^^ Nice review, thanks for posting. Have wondered about this hotel for a while as it is very close to the hometown my wife comes from.... ^
You mean you have one more reason NOT to see your mother in law
Old Jul 8, 2015, 4:06 pm
Accor Contributor BadgeHilton Contributor Badge

Programs: HH D, Rad VIP, Marriott G
Originally Posted by nicolas75
You mean you have one more reason NOT to see your mother in law
Very true ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.